October 20, 2014, 04:23:13 AM

Author Topic: RED - Scarlet.....  (Read 5446 times)

bsbeamer

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile

canon rumors FORUM

Re: RED - Scarlet.....
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 09:45:40 PM »
Interesting Blog from Vincent Laforet who uses most of the cinema cameras and shares his experiences using them.  He seems to feel that the Red Scarlet will garner a lot of sales due to its low starting price.  However, those $1800 SSD cards it requires will eatup money fast.

Its the sensor quality and the images coming off it that cinematoghraphers drool over, and the Arri Alexia is still best, but at multiple times the price for 2K and requires a crew to operate.

steveyager

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »
Yup, Peter Jackson's latest blog on the Hobbit says the same - OTT colours on the scenery in Mirkwood, additional red on the actors faces because the Red Epic doesn't do colour in the same way...

There is so much misinformation on this site, it's ridiculous. I don't want to correct anyone though because then you'll all go buy Scarlets and oversaturate my market share. But. . .I can't help to correct someone when they're wrong.

Regarding the makeup in LOTR: the extra red makeup has nothing to do with the camera color science... the mirrors in the 3D rig desaturate magenta from one eye ( tints green ) so instead of boosting back saturation in just one eye in post, they prefer to lift both eyes in saturation then remove it as necessary. The exact same thing would happen to any camera through the 3D rig beamsplitter. one eye goes green , one eye goes magenta. Many ways to compensate for that, this is just one.

Regarding the "reject" processors from Epics being used in Scarlets: each and every camera gets a high quality sensor. Just because you buy a Scarlet doesn't mean your sensor is any less worthy than if you bought an Epic. What is different on the Scarlet is the processing speed of the ASICs. That limits functionality (high fps, high redcode), not sensor image quality. All else being equal, you will get the exact same quality images from Scarlet; it just can't make as many of them each second. Hence the same resolutions, but lower frame rates. Slower processor doesn't mean degraded image.

The internet is a vast and wonderful place to do research, so. . .do it.

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »
Yup, Peter Jackson's latest blog on the Hobbit says the same - OTT colours on the scenery in Mirkwood, additional red on the actors faces because the Red Epic doesn't do colour in the same way...

There is so much misinformation on this site, it's ridiculous. I don't want to correct anyone though because then you'll all go buy Scarlets and oversaturate my market share. But. . .I can't help to correct someone when they're wrong.

Regarding the makeup in LOTR: the extra red makeup has nothing to do with the camera color science... the mirrors in the 3D rig desaturate magenta from one eye ( tints green ) so instead of boosting back saturation in just one eye in post, they prefer to lift both eyes in saturation then remove it as necessary. The exact same thing would happen to any camera through the 3D rig beamsplitter. one eye goes green , one eye goes magenta. Many ways to compensate for that, this is just one.

Regarding the "reject" processors from Epics being used in Scarlets: each and every camera gets a high quality sensor. Just because you buy a Scarlet doesn't mean your sensor is any less worthy than if you bought an Epic. What is different on the Scarlet is the processing speed of the ASICs. That limits functionality (high fps, high redcode), not sensor image quality. All else being equal, you will get the exact same quality images from Scarlet; it just can't make as many of them each second. Hence the same resolutions, but lower frame rates. Slower processor doesn't mean degraded image.

The internet is a vast and wonderful place to do research, so. . .do it.

So instead of doing it in post, they alter the actors makeup and set design because that's much easier :o...  that cannot be the only reason.  Other directors have brought up issues with the color before, it's just funny as hell that Jackson outed Red in that manner.  If he wanted to blame it on the 3d rig, he would have.

I don't believe that RED would use "reject processors".  But this doesn't change the fact that RED hasn't yet mastered things in 2k yet, let alone 4k, because of color issues (see my earlier comment  comparing  "Fight Club" to the "The Social Network").

RED makes some good cameras (I still might buy one), but people need to stop judging the C300 based on just resolution and fps.

At the end of the day, I'm surprised people are giving RED so much credit for Scarlet. They went with the simplest solution possible: use the same sensor and nerf the processor. That should have taken 2 days not 2 years.   

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:26:27 PM by HurtinMinorKey »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »