December 18, 2014, 06:40:50 AM

Author Topic: Trip Advice Please (North Rim Grand Canyon, and possibly Brice)  (Read 1822 times)

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
Re: Trip Advice Please (North Rim Grand Canyon, and possibly Brice)
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »
Hey Surapon.

I was scouting about for more "attractions" while on my western adventure, and came across somethings you might want to look into as well.

First, I just booked a half day mule ride for The North Rim Grand Canyon  http://grandcanyonforever.com/mule-rides

They have one along the rim and one that goes into the canyon and you can google reviews to see which you may like better.  I'm going in.  You can also go for the quickie 1 hour ride.

In Vegas there are two other things of possible interest.  One is The Gangster museum that just opened up in May- rumor has it that there was alleged mob activity in Vegas, but that seems far fetched (sarcasm)

Another way cool thing for photographers is The Bone Yard.  http://www.neonmuseum.org/

Here they have retired neon signs, some restored, some rusting away.  Given good lighting, it would promise to be a photographic marvel.

One other stop along that I plan to hit very early on my way north is Valley of Fire.  Will catch some golden hour shots and then get back on the road north to Grand Canyon.

If anybody else has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.  I also appreciate all the other ideas so far-  Thanks all.

Scott
Sorry, but I didn't know where else to post this question.

I am headed for North Rim and Brice this June for about 10 days.

If anybody has suggestion about spots to shoot, or other places to visit I would appreciate it.  I will have a rental car.  I think a stop at Valley of Fire on the way to the Canyon would be good.

I would also appreciate any technical or gear recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

sek

Dear Sek my friend.
Thanks for Recommend " Photo/ Safari Vest" for me on this Great Trip., After see The Photos of this Great Vest, I will go to the local Camera Shop,to try on---If They do not have, I will order from Amazon. Yes, This will add to my Vest Collection for most of Difference Photos Trips.
Have a great Work week, Sir.
Surapon
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 01:24:13 PM »
Thank you, sir, Dear Scott my friend, Yes I will go to the place that you recommend.
Have a great Week end.
Surapon

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »

First, I just booked a half day mule ride for The North Rim Grand Canyon  http://grandcanyonforever.com/mule-rides

IMHO, and this IS just an opinion......I've never seen a mule riding tourist who looked happy in the saddle.  I'd rather walk.  Plus, they limit what you can carry and I'll bet they don't allow photos from the saddle.  And, you are on their schedule and will only be on parts of trails where they go.  Walking, you can take your time, linger, and have more choices.  And, if you are of that type, you can carry all you want to your heart's content including a tripod, etc.

YMMV.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:42:58 PM by JPAZ »
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 01:19:49 AM »
Excellent points JPAZ.

Here are my thoughts. First, I scheduled my trip during the harsh noon to 4 hours, so photography won't be optimal.  It is something different to do, and yes, I may regret it.  I did however go on a mule trip while in Hawaii (muleman.com) to see the leper colony and it was actually beautiful and fun (wasn't into photography at the time).

There are limitations- no backpacks/bags, only one camera.  You can shoot when you ride.

I will be finished in time go out and get some golden hour shots.

I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks for the input.

Any thoughts on the Gangster Museum of Valley of Fire?

Scott

IMHO, and this IS just an opinion......I've never seen a mule riding tourist who looked happy in the saddle.  I'd rather walk.  Plus, they limit what you can carry and I'll bet they don't allow photos from the saddle.  And, you are on their schedule and will only be on parts of trails where they go.  Walking, you can take your time, linger, and have more choices.  And, if you are of that type, you can carry all you want to your heart's content including a tripod, etc.

YMMV.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT

JPAZ

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »

Any thoughts on the Gangster Museum of Valley of Fire?

Sorry, but I don't know anything abut that museum.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »
So how is the trip going?

Thank you, sir, Dear Scott my friend, Yes I will go to the place that you recommend.
Have a great Week end.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 10:33:29 PM »