December 19, 2014, 09:00:12 AM

Author Topic: New Samyang Lenses Go On Sale Tomorrow  (Read 4220 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
New Samyang Lenses Go On Sale Tomorrow
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:09:32 AM »
The new lenses from Samyang that go on sale tomorrow: Samyang 35mm f/1.4 Canon AE, 300mm f/6.3 Mirror DSLR photo lenses and a VDSLR/Cinema series is set to be released on April 29th 2014. Samyang 10mm T3.1, 12mm T2.2 and 7.5mm T3.8.

While all of these lenses are manual focus, the Canon AE 35mm f/1.4 does have auto exposure.

Read more about the new lenses

samyanglenses

Source: [Samyang Facebook]

cr

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:11:48 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

New Samyang Lenses Go On Sale Tomorrow
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:09:32 AM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: New Samyang Lenses Go On Sale Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:50:31 AM »
A version 35mm F1.4 with auto exposure? ??? Honestly, I preferred a focus confirmation chip. ::)

dadgummit

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon FT-QL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 10:59:40 AM »
If it has auto exposure (auto aperture) it will have focus confirm as well.  Like a Zeiss lens I am assuming.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:05:59 AM »
If it has auto exposure (auto aperture) it will have focus confirm as well.  Like a Zeiss lens I am assuming.
If this have confirmation of focus and auto exposure, and the price is not much higher, it would be a good competitor for 35L and 35Art.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:15:22 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

Steve

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:37:03 AM »
Why in the world would anyone produce a mirror lens in the year of our lord 2014? 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:41:01 AM »
Why in the world would anyone produce a mirror lens in the year of our lord 2014?

Small, light, and cheap.

And maybe an unexplained fondness for the bokeh typical of catadioptric lenses:

Mmmmmm…donuts!   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Orangutan

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »

Mmmmmm…donuts!   ;)

"Donuts - is there anything they can't do?" -- Homer Simpson

Neuro, do you know what causes donut bokeh?  Is it the primary mirror itself, or is it to do with the support mechanism for the secondary mirror, or poor coatings typical of cheap lenses, or...?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 12:14:22 PM »
Neuro, do you know what causes donut bokeh?  Is it the primary mirror itself, or is it to do with the support mechanism for the secondary mirror, or poor coatings typical of cheap lenses, or...?

It's the fact that the entrance pupil (the image of the aperture itself) is an annulus.  Actually, you can give that look to a regular lens by sticking a small, round sticker like one of these:

…on a cheap UV filter and putting it on the lens.  If you like donuts, that is…  ;)  Same principle as those bokeh effects kits.

Orangutan

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 12:18:16 PM »

It's the fact that the entrance pupil (the image of the aperture itself) is an annulus.  Actually, you can give that look to a regular lens by sticking a small, round sticker like one of these:

…on a cheap UV filter and putting it on the lens.  If you like donuts, that is…  ;)  Same principle as those bokeh effects kits.

Thanks.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 12:18:46 PM »

…on a cheap UV filter and putting it on the lens.  If you like donuts, that is…  ;)

Are you sure? On the occasions I have had very bad "stuff" on my front element I haven't noticed that, I'd like to try it, not that I want to revert to 1970's lens releases, purely curiosity.

I would have thought you'd need a surprisingly large dot sticker to get "the look".

P.S. The "Bokeh kits" you can get, that give you stars and custom shapes etc, cover a startling amount of the lens.

http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/bokeh-kit/
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 12:22:42 PM by privatebydesign »

Orangutan

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 12:23:33 PM »

…on a cheap UV filter and putting it on the lens.  If you like donuts, that is…  ;)

I would have thought you'd need a surprisingly large dot sticker to get "the look".

Presumably, it would not need to be any bigger than the secondary mirror on one of those reflex lenses.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 12:25:43 PM »
Are you sure? On the occasions I have had very bad "stuff" on my front element I haven't noticed that, I'd like to try it, not that I want to revert to 1970's lens releases, purely curiosity.

See: http://photocornucopia.com/1053.html

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »
If I wanted a cheap and light 300mm I'd get a Canon Powershot that has wider aperture, AF, IS etc for the same price as the Samyang mirror. Or, if I wanted something to go on a mirrorless I'd get the 55-250 which again has a wider aperture, AF, IS etc and I bet outperforms the mirror. 
5D III, EOS-M, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, 100-400 II, Sigma 10-20, EOS-M, 18-55, f/2 22.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 01:22:11 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »

See: http://photocornucopia.com/1053.html

Sweet, now I don't have to get some dots :-)

The green one is more what I was thinking, but the blue dot is surprisingly effective, thanks for the link.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 01:42:49 PM »
Hmm...a 7.5mm lens is intriguing to me. I like wide field, but I don't necessarily always want a fisheye for the really ultra wide stuff. I wonder of that lens will have an EF mount (it says Cine, but Canon's cine bodies still use EF...)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 01:42:49 PM »