August 21, 2014, 10:21:24 PM

Author Topic: New Samyang Lenses Go On Sale Tomorrow  (Read 3752 times)

Steve

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: New Samyang Lenses Go On Sale Tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »
Small, light, and cheap.

Yeah, but there are already dozens of small, light and cheap 300mm lenses that would easily outperform a mirror lens optically and have autofocus.  I mean unless that Samyang mirror is gonna sell for, like, $40 or something it would be better in every case to get one of the cheap 70-300 af zooms made by literally anyone else.  If it were a 500mm or something I could see that because there are always people out there looking for ultra cheap reach but 300mm is such a common focal length it seems like a really weird decision.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »
Hmm...a 7.5mm lens is intriguing to me. I like wide field, but I don't necessarily always want a fisheye for the really ultra wide stuff. I wonder of that lens will have an EF mount (it says Cine, but Canon's cine bodies still use EF...)
In fact, this lens is a Cine 7.5mm fisheye lens designed for mirrorless cameras such as the EOS-M adored. I would have liked a version for DSLR cameras though.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
Why in the world would anyone produce a mirror lens in the year of our lord 2014?
It would make more sense to produce with traditional optical lenses (without the mirror telescope) with low cost, just to play occasionally. I see the market for a hypothetical Samyang 300mm F8 macro 1X life size, costing $300.

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 04:11:01 PM »
Why in the world would anyone produce a mirror lens in the year of our lord 2014?

Small, light, and cheap.

And maybe an unexplained fondness for the bokeh typical of catadioptric lenses:

Mmmmmm…donuts!   ;)

And, bokeh aside, I would guess possibly one of the sharpest and most contrasty 300mm lenses you could hope to find for within 5x the price. Maybe donuts aren't your thing, but for some applications they aren't the end of the world, either.

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »
300mm is a good focal length for piggybacking a camera on a telescope with a tracking equatorial mount.  I use an older 300/4L, but there are problems when shooting with a modified camera body due to CA.  Halos around stars, for example.  If the Samyang 300cat lens is sharp, it would be worth a try for the right price.  A niche lens to be sure, but they do have their uses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »