November 01, 2014, 03:40:33 AM

Author Topic: canon is not for poor film makers anymore! 47,000$??!!!  (Read 7244 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: canon is not for poor film makers anymore! 47,000$??!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »
CN-E14.5-60mm T2.6 L S (EF mount) lens for 45,000 to 47,000$ each?
what did happened to you, canon?, I waited for an year to see better cam than 5d, in an affordable range!
but finally what we have is FULL HD cam for estimated 20,000$ price range!!

I laugh at myself for being poor.

This type of equipment is rented, not purchased.  If you are seriously making motion pictures, you may find they cost less than other similar lenses.  If you want to take home movies of your kids, this is not the kind of equipment to consider.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 10:46:09 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 11:10:25 PM »
This is just the start. It's hard to say where Canon is heading after this. :)

Read the interview between dpreview and Larry Thorpe:

Where do you see the C system in 5 years time?

In five years time the C300 will have brothers and sisters. We'll probably move in a number of directions. We think this is a very very good start but there's no question that 4K is coming, so we have to keep our eye on that. As for a lower cost model [...] that would make a lot of sense in the marketplace. We have a master plan and [the C300] is step one - into HD. We've stepped in, and we're never going to stop. We're in for the long term. Wherever the marketplace dictates that we should go, and wherever our technology allows us to go, we'll be there. 

Canon is hungry.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7685106578/canon-eos-c300-launch-interview-with-larry-thorpe

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 01:03:19 AM »

C300 full HD
8MP
6MB
24x14mm lens coverage
60 fps in 720p
MPEG-2 compressor
8bit depth
20,000$

RED Scarlet 4K
14MP
100 plus MB
27x14mm lens coverage
60 fps in HD RAW
24bit depth
15,000$[kit Includes..64GB SSD,5'' touch LCD,etc]

Love my canon film cam, i almost traveled with it for every good and sad moments in my life, now since last 2  years same with the 5dmk2, plus its giving me an oppertunity to earn my living. how wonderful is that.
For an independent film makers like us india, its hard for us to get good deal from rentals companies, for that reason i want to have my own cam, which can shoot a minimum quality range video for big projections, which i can not do with current dslr. i waited for an year to see this changes which i can not afford it my self. may be a i have to think about other possibilities of moving on with new brand. may be....

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 03:52:11 AM »
Love my canon film cam, i almost traveled with it for every good and sad moments in my life, now since last 2  years same with the 5dmk2, plus its giving me an oppertunity to earn my living. how wonderful is that.

great!

For an independent film makers like us india, its hard for us to get good deal from rentals companies, for that reason i want to have my own cam, which can shoot a minimum quality range video for big projections, which i can not do with current dslr. i waited for an year to see this changes which i can not afford it my self. may be a i have to think about other possibilities of moving on with new brand. may be....

haha, I've been to India. I know what you guys mean by "good deals". You want quality but you don't want to pay for it.

AdamJ

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2011, 06:00:32 AM »

haha, I've been to India. I know what you guys mean by "good deals". You want quality but you don't want to pay for it.

I hope I'm not alone in finding this remark objectionable.

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 06:53:36 AM »
Except that you'll have to focus it manually.

If you are having to use auto focus as a film maker your doing it wrong  ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:57:47 AM by AG »
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

Bob Howland

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »

I'm so new at this that I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but how about when shooting a documentary, a wedding or sports where the subjects move rapidly and unpredictably? Not everybody has the time to pull out their tape measure and consult their DOF charts. For that matter, why do cameras like the 1Dx have autofocusing?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »

Gothmoth

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 08:08:27 AM »
main problem is 80% of all photographers have no clue about cine lenses and cameras.

neither technology wise or what cinematographer need/want.

If you are having to use auto focus as a film maker your doing it wrong

exactly.. and when you wonder why then this camera is not for you anyway. ;)

http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/other/products/what_makes_the_difference/manual_focusing_with_af_camera_systems.html
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:15:51 AM by Gothmoth »

Bob Howland

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »
main problem is 80% of all photographers have no clue about cine lenses and cameras.

neither technology wise or what cinematographer need/want.

If you are having to use auto focus as a film maker your doing it wrong

exactly.. and when you wonder why then this camera is not for you anyway. ;)

http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/other/products/what_makes_the_difference/manual_focusing_with_af_camera_systems.html

Or maybe you have a very narrow definition of "cinematographer" or "cinematographers" are just stuck in the 1970s.  Oh, by the way, I know exactly why this camera is not for me. For a while, I couldn't understand why Canon made an EF version at all, until I started reading the promotional literature on the Canon USA website, concerning changing focus of a remote camera, something not possible with PL lenses. Maybe, at some point, Canon will add autofocusing with the ability to (remotely) select the focusing point(s) or have the camera maintain focus on a particular pattern of colors, something which both the 1Dx and my $700 Panasonic camcorder does.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 09:21:32 AM by Bob Howland »

samueljay

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 09:55:31 AM »

I'm so new at this that I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but how about when shooting a documentary, a wedding or sports where the subjects move rapidly and unpredictably? Not everybody has the time to pull out their tape measure and consult their DOF charts. For that matter, why do cameras like the 1Dx have autofocusing?
For things like that, you'd better hope you have a very capable focus puller or camera operator :p

Sorry, but anyone who is filming seriously will always have the time to focus properly and manually. Camera's like the 1DX have advanced auto focus because they are made for still photographers, where auto focus is a massive advantage (I wouldn't know though, I still focus everything manually if the gear allows it)
Gear: 5D Mk III <> 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II USM <> 50mm ƒ/1.2L USM <> 8-15mm ƒ/4L  USM <>  100mm ƒ/2.8L  Macro IS USM <> 40mm ƒ/2.8 <> 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM

Bob Howland

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
Sorry, but anyone who is filming seriously will always have the time to focus properly and manually.

So professional wedding photographers, documentary photographers and sports photographers are not "filming seriously"? You seem to be assuming that photography is always (or maybe just mostly) at the center of the whole situation, something that is absolutely not true a good percentage of the time. Very often, we're just there trying to get the best images we can, in the middle of chaos.

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 11:14:03 AM »

[/quote]

Do u know about regional film in india[not HINDI film [bolleywood]?
we make independent minimalistic films for a budget of Max 20,000$.And the thing is we have 65mm projectors all over.
so the distributers or buyers or exibiters or finaciars look for the quality to get a good quality of movie, then only they can sell it. Now, of-course i have the  tiny budget, but i need to get going to present it to the audience....end of the we all get marginal profits.

I worked in europe for a rental company, i have seen millions exchange over night during film making process, but its different in here....little money,little dreamers,little market,little appreciation, little profits, and little hope.

U think u guys know much about us....
well i really don't know, how u feel when u read it. 
tx.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »

Do u know about regional film in india[not HINDI film [bolleywood]?
we make independent minimalistic films for a budget of Max 20,000$
And the thing is we have 65mm projectors all over.

what obligation does canon have to you? None.
why do they need to give you an expensive camera for a cheap price? They don't.

Stop acting like Canon  owes you anything.

If this camera is too expensive for you then do what every other mature cinematographer will do and use something else without crying about it on the internet.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 11:33:39 AM »

J. McCabe

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 11:34:34 AM »

C300 full HD
8MP
6MB
24x14mm lens coverage

Why is it called Super35 ? It's only 24mm wide, and the diagonal is less than 28mm.

Bob Howland

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »

C300 full HD
8MP
6MB
24x14mm lens coverage

Why is it called Super35 ? It's only 24mm wide, and the diagonal is less than 28mm.

Originally, because the film stock was 35mm wide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_35

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »