October 01, 2014, 07:06:49 AM

Author Topic: Best Backup Strategy?  (Read 1742 times)

m8547

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Best Backup Strategy?
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »
I've been feeling a need for another backup of my photos. Right now I keep them on my laptop, and I periodically back up to an external drive. But there's still some room for failure, if there's a crash during the backup process, or if my house is robbed and they take my laptop and the shiny hard drive next to it.

I thought about trying to put everything on Flickr since they offer 1TB free, but it's been a pain to get photos into it. The uploader in Lightroom times out all the time, and Juploadr has all sorts of errors, including crashing without notice and completely disappearing during an upload. And anything outside of lightroom means I have to export to JPG, which takes a long time on this 2008 computer and is an extra step and extra hassle. And I guess exporting from lightroom makes JPGs, so it takes just as long.

I tried online backup in the past, but I have 200+ GB of photos, and several hundred GB of other stuff that I don't feel like sorting through to figure out what's still important and what's not. I wasn't patient enough to get much progress last time I started an online backup, but maybe I could try it again? I would prefer not to pay the $5 a month, but it's not too bad for the convenience.

The option I'm leaning to right now is to designate a second backup drive just for photos and important stuff, and keep it at work when I'm not using it. I already have a pile of hard drives, I would just need to clear one out for this use. But what would be the best way to do an incremental backup of certain folders to a second hard drive? I already use time machine (mac) for my normal backups, but it doesn't work well with two drives, so I would need some other way. I don't want to copy things manually.

So I'm wondering what other people out there do, and what works best?

canon rumors FORUM

Best Backup Strategy?
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
Re: Best Backup Strategy?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 11:53:42 PM »
I use a pair of 2Tb drives and SuperDuper! to clone my primary drive to my backup incrementally after I upload files on my Mac.  I also do a straight directory copy monthly to another 2Tb drive which I store offsite.
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 03:53:38 AM »
I use three external HDs in a circle use.
The folders changed I backup on the external HD.
A little frog on the shelf shows me, which one I used the last time.

Enough security for me.

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 05:08:16 AM »
http://www.filetransporter.com/ might be an option for you, if you want offsite backups. As for backup crashing during the copying, you need to use dedicated backup software that notice such problems and react on the next backup cycle.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:09:30 AM »
3 external HDs(5TB) with USB3 speed. Two @ home and one @ grandma house. Backup weekly, drag & drop
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:53:45 PM »
Hi m.
I use a 2Tb NAS drive as a 1Tb mirrored raid array and the software included in the box to keep the folders in line, bit complicated to organise as I can add to the folder on the NAS from desktop (two 500Gb drives as mirrored raid for photos) or laptop machines, though I no longer keep a copy on my laptop as I ran out of drive space! I therefore have four drives with content identical to within a day, backup scheduled at night. I also regularly do a drag and drop to a portable drive which I then drag and drop on to a pc at my workshop for off site backup!
Personally I don't trust free cloud, don't know where it is and who has rights of access to it, from Fred the mail man up to the government perhaps? And too cheap to pay for cloud when I have enough drives to diy!

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

m8547

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »
Well, I found an old hard drive with nothing important on it, so I'll use that for now. I'm using Crashplan to do the backup. SuperDuper doesn't let me run scripts unless I pay for it, so it can't easily back up just a few folders. I forget why I didn't use CarbonCopyCloner. The main downside to Crashplan is that it insists on encrypting everything, even a local backup. I wrote my passphrase down on a note on the drive itself, but it would be nice to be able to access the files directly.

I got most of the photos from one vacation into Flickr, but it was painful. About 50 files didn't make it in, and I don't know which ones they are even after going through all of them manually. There seems to be some discrepancy within Flickr about the number of files I have in that set, but even the largest number is at least 20 short.

I have another vacation uploading now, and it's been going for a couple days. Luckily the web uploader seems to be robust than API-based uploaders, and although it lost the connection and made me restart the upload, it seems to have picked up where it left off. I guess I could have turned down the JPG quality to make the upload go faster, but I wanted them to be as good as possible if they are giving me 1TB. For each of these vacations I took about 800 photos at about 10MB each for the JPGs. It's a lot of data, but if they claim they will store 1TB for me, I should be able to do this more easily. I still have several thousand more photos in Lightroom, and probably tens of thousands of older ones elsewhere. At this rate I don't think it's practical to upload even all of the most recent ones.

Anyway, I'm satisfied enough with the second external disk that I can finally clean out my memory cards. I stopped deleting photos a while back because I was afraid of losing them. And then I stopped taking photos because all my cards were full! But between my computer and two backups that should be enough.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
I have quite a few external HDs and three HDs inside my laptop. I try to do a system image every week, and manually back up individual files and programmes etc at that time. I keep some externals in different countries to avoid the theft issue and do not trust the cloud at all.

When I am on a job I will back up immediately to my HD and another HD in my laptop and also an external. Once I have finished I just delete all but those on the external and duplicate the backups on one external to another for redundancy.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 10:25:53 PM »
I use a 12 TB NAS with 6 2TB hard drives. 

The nice thing about a NAS is that it can run raid 6, and it can be placed in a different location like a out building or garage.  You can hide it so that it is unlikely to be taken in a robbery, and Raid 6 is doubly redundant.  I also use a battery backup so the NAS keeps going in a power loss, and shuts down automatically if the battery gets low.

Many NAS units also work with networked video monitoring cameras, so you can also record surveillance video and have it in case of a theft.  You can also monitor the cameras with a smart phone, tablet, or computer when away from the house

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 04:20:30 AM »
I do a serial back-up, always keeping at least 2 copies...

1) I put the images onto my Mac Book Pro HDD, and leave them on the memory card.
2) I put a copy on my network HDD (2TB time capsule;TC). I have 1 TB dedicated to photos. As soon as I do this, i format my CF/SD card and put it back in my card wallet.
3) I transfer the folder to an external 2TB drive (USB 3). I make sure this drive is up-to-date about once a month. At this point, I can free up some room on my MBP HDD (I usually have 150-200 gb dedicated to images on my laptop), having access to the files on the time capsule (TC).
4) When my TC is getting close to, or over the 1TB i want to use for photos on it, I move the older images over to my long term storage, a 2TB USB2 drive...  it is slow, but works great for long term back up.

So, New images I have access to on my MBP for quick easy processing. Images taken in the last ~6 months I have network access to though my TC. All images are backed up on both 2TB external drives, one USB3 for working with and regular back-ups, and one USB2 for long term storage/back-up.

Old photos have 2x redundancy, some of the newer ones have 3x redundancy.

I use one lightroom catalog, and can easily re-locate the masters....  Also, the fact i have previews for most of my images on my MBP, it is easy for me to find and look at old images without having to plus in the external drive.

I will eventually need to get 2 more external drives, as my library gets larger...  I think i am in the 1.7 TB range now. But I am gunning less these days and shooting more (less quantity, more quality, well that's the idea anyway). Then I will have two HDD for dates xx/xx/xx to yy/yy/yy (A and B i guess), and two new ones for the later images. It is not too much hassel. Just every now and again, i up-date the back-ups.  As long as i have at least 2 copies i'm good! :)

I'm not sure if this is the best way, but it works for me, and I have my routine...  :)
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »

My strategy is to back up my laptop HD onto a fireproof hard drive attached to a NAS.  Then I keep the originals on the flash cards forever.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 02:22:09 PM »
I put my originals in sleeves in a binder, and store that binder on a shelf.

Or at least, I used to do that.   ;)

Currently, I always have dupicates of the images, write RAWs simultaneously to both CF cards in the camera, transfer images from one card (leaving the backup in-camera) and swap in an older card to format, transferred images stored on the SSD in my MBP, immediately backed up to an external FW800 drive, once processed the RAWs are stored on two dedicated HDDs, one at home and one at work.  Every 2 months I burn images to DVDs and those go in a bank safe deposit box.

Then I keep the originals on the flash cards forever.

Doesn't that get pricey?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »

Doesn't that get pricey?

Yeah, but $80 for 2,200 RAW shots (3.6 cents each) is still more than an order of magnitude cheaper than $15 for 24 shots (62.5 cents cents each) back in the days of plastic negatives and paper, and that's not counting the cost of building shelves for all those photo albums.  :)

Besides, a $80 flash card will last for at least a couple of years of normal shooting for me, assuming I'm not going on any big trips (which is where I burn through thousands of photos in two weeks).  And when I am going on a big trip, a couple hundred bucks of flash cards is still lost in the noise compared with the cost of the trip....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »

Doesn't that get pricey?

Yeah, but $80 for 2,200 RAW shots (3.6 cents each) is still more than an order of magnitude cheaper than $15 for 24 shots (62.5 cents cents each) back in the days of plastic negatives and paper, and that's not counting the cost of building shelves for all those photo albums.  :)

Besides, a $80 flash card will last for at least a couple of years of normal shooting for me, assuming I'm not going on any big trips (which is where I burn through thousands of photos in two weeks).  And when I am going on a big trip, a couple hundred bucks of flash cards is still lost in the noise compared with the cost of the trip....

I wouldn't count on flash cards to store indefinitely.  You're better off copying to multiple HD's and rotating through a safe deposit box, or burning to multiple DVD's or Blueray discs.  Besides, storing all of your flash cards means you can't keep using "trusted" flash cards, and must continually risk manufacturing defects for the stacks of new cards.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 02:13:14 AM »
NASs, NASs everywhere! (more specifically at home and in office)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 02:13:14 AM »