September 20, 2014, 12:31:31 AM

Author Topic: Third-pary Grip. Safe?  (Read 4605 times)

lescrane

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Third-pary Grip. Safe?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 11:58:13 PM »
I have a cheap 3rd party grip for my 70D. It never "hurt" my camera or stopped functioning.

Only problems..shutter button extremely sensitive, goes off if I just brush it against something or lightly touch it
The button labels poorly printed and have rubbed off after a few months.

At some point I may buy the Canon but I can live w/the no name for a while

Well, after 4 months I dumped my knock off (neewer) and plunked down 175.00 for the real thing.  I had a failure in the field....the main dial of my 70D stopped functioning, but ONLY when the grip was powered on. Pulled the batteries,etc. eventually it worked again.  But not a good thing to happen. Plus I got tired of the shutter button on the grip activating with barely light incidental contact.  I don't regret trying the cheapo, but learned my lesson.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 11:58:13 PM »

ewg963

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 24-105mm 70-200mm 2.8 Non IS, 100-400mm 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »
I've been using a Meike grip on my 6D since it came out.  No issues.
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
third party grips ROCK. Try to stick to newer/mieike. the first on ei eve bought im at three now- was so well made i felt like i robbed canon.

Since these grips use cheaper rubber and glue, the hotter the environment, the less time these will last. I will need to replace my old t2i grip as its smoothed out and began to peel off.

Also, if its for a 70d/full frame camera, sometimes the camera doesnt properly ready the battery status. no big deal.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

lion rock

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 03:57:35 PM »
I have 4 third party grips, one for my 40D, 2 for my 5DII, and 1 for my 5DIII.
All worked well. 
I do have two observations:
First, the wheel at the back of the camera stopped responding when the grip is turned on.  Turning it off returned the wheel functionality.
Second, the battery seems to drain faster when the grip is turned on.  Probably because of the internal electronics in the grip.

On the 5DII grips, I took one apart so I can modify the electronics to accept a remote shutter release receiver so I can reduce the external wiring for the remote.  But, with the complex electronics modules in the grip, it just became too daunting a job.  But what I found out through the process is that on the top mount where the 1/4-20 screw going into the camera tripod mount, there is a metal plate the size of the grip!  The same is true of the bottom of the grip.  So, there are 2 plates within the grip, securely screwed to the shell.  It is satisfying to know that the structure is very secured in terms of construction.  There is no need to worry of the camera breaking off from the grip.

Know this, I feel confident about using the grips.

-r

mdmphoto

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Mike McReynolds Photography
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 05:12:00 AM »
I've joyfully used 3rd-party grips for 40-, 50-, and 7D for the longest time.  I started with a canon grip on the 7D,but when the battery door failed I bought a polaroid branded one which added features: an intervalometer & remote control amongst them, at a fraction of the canon price, and it seems a lot sturdier, and has lasted me more than twice the life of the canon.  I enjoyed similar results with the xxD grips.
HOWEVER:
I bought one for my 6D and quit using it after a couple of months.  When I used it the camera exhibited various malfunctions including freezing (shutter not functioning on camera, turning itself off, shutter sticking, and not awakening from sleep mode.  Missed several shots.  It wasn't the 3rd party batteries which were marketed as chipped for 6D, as they have continued to work once I ditched the grip...
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 06:10:42 AM by mdmphoto »
6D, 7D,50D, 17-55IS, 24-105L, 70-200 Fl2.8L IS, 135L, tokina 16-28, 150-500 & a buffet more, 580 EXII, 430 EXII, AB 800's

Lightmaster

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 06:25:02 AM »
using delamax and phottix grips for years.
there is some china stuff that comes under at least 4 different brand names.

never had a single issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 06:25:02 AM »

Keith_Reeder

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Third-party Grip. Safe?
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 07:16:02 AM »
Been using aftermarket grips since my 30D back in 2006 - no problems whatsoever, as long as I've stuck to better-known brands like Meike.

As to the risk of failure of the tripod mount: it can happen, but I routinely hang my Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS + 2x TC off my cameras, and avoid the stress of worrying about the tripod mount popping out, by not using it.

My strap of choice is the Op/Tech Sling Strap, and it comes with two mounting loops. I attach the upper one to the right-hand strap mount on the shoulder of the camera, and the lower one on the right hand strap mount of the grip, and it's bomb-proof.

This arrangement also lets the rig hang against my right hip in the most comfortable and safest way possible (lens pointing back and down), so it's win-win... 

marceloshak

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 08:13:10 AM »
I have a Pixel Vertax battery grip for my Canon 60D. Very well built and sturdy, I only have 1 complaint: when you let the batteries inside the grip, they will deplete completely in 3 or 4 days.

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 09:22:39 PM »

The only problem I've had on my 6D is a little quirk where I'll occasionally (three or four times over the course of a year) lose the ability to use the main exposure dial on the camera until I nudge the exposure dial on the grip.  I have no idea why that happens—probably a software bug.

MichaelHodges

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »
I only use third party grips, and in poor weather.

The only problem I've had is the paint wearing off on one grip. It made the camera look older/more roughed up than it was.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »