July 23, 2014, 07:12:50 PM

Author Topic: Sony RX100 MIII  (Read 7125 times)

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Sony RX100 MIII
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2014, 06:36:06 PM »
I really like the looks of this one. I can wait for 7 or 8 months until Sony releases the Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Vl so I can pick up the lll for $500. I wish they'd release one with a Canon hot shoe :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2014, 06:36:06 PM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
I really like the looks of this one. I can wait for 7 or 8 months until Sony releases the Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Vl so I can pick up the lll for $500. I wish they'd release one with a Canon hot shoe :)

Yes, that is the funny thing with Sony, you can guarantee that their next model will be along very quickly, sometimes too quickly.

May I ask though why you would want a hot shoe?
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Mr_Canuck

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2014, 08:40:54 PM »
I have the RX100 I and I think it's a great take-anywhere camera. I am very impressed with it outdoors in mid-range of its zoom. It rivaled my previous Pentax K5 with DA21mm limited lens in a lot of situations. The Mark III is extremely tempting because the viewfinder and f/2.8 long end are really big improvements in my books. I like available light shooting. It's ok at the wide end on Mk I but then gets really slow quite quickly. They are great video cameras as well. I'm just not sure I want to shell out $400 for the upgrade.

If you're wondering if the RX100's are good, don't hesitate to get one. They are the best of may worlds with quite painless compromises.
6D | Voigt 20 | 40STM | 50/2.5M | 70-200/4is | EX420 | ST-E2 | Velbon ultra lux iL | RX100 — go light, go far...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2014, 09:30:56 PM »
I checked with my local dealer today, they could not even find the MK III in their system.  That's strange, since they sell a lot of cameras at their two local stores as well as operating a big online store (onecall.com)

I was in Seattle last week and stopped at Fry's to see if they had the MK III.  What a disaster.  They had only two Canon DSLR's, which were two 70 D kits, one Nikon DSLR Model, and a Sony or two.  The other 90% of their display was empty.  Same for P&S cameras, no high end ones and lots of empty spaces. 
I'd say that they are in big financial trouble from the look of things.

No sale tax + free shipping: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1049537-REG/sony_dscrx100m3_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100_iii_digital.html

Washington State requires that I pay sales tax, and my accountant makes sure it happens.  Just because B&H does not offer the convenience of handling tax for me, does not mean that its due.

Sounds like you doing it for living

My Cameras are owned and purchased by my business for product photography.  They may also get used a little for other uses, usually charity work.

However, even if it wasn't a business, I still owe taxes.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2014, 09:50:20 PM »

Yes, that is the funny thing with Sony, you can guarantee that their next model will be along very quickly, sometimes too quickly.

Although I greatly prefer to shoot with available light, I tried using flash with my eos m and quite liked it. The in-camera touchscreen flash controls where very convenient. Of course I was using an ST-E3 with off camera flash. I didn't much care for the setup when the 600 was on top. Though I've never used a Sony flash, I have read enough bad things about them to believe they would be a great disappointment after using Speedlites. So I want a Canon hot shoe on the Sony. Is that asking too much?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 09:54:07 PM by brad-man »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2014, 10:51:05 PM »

Although I greatly prefer to shoot with available light, I tried using flash with my eos m and quite liked it. The in-camera touchscreen flash controls where very convenient. Of course I was using an ST-E3 with off camera flash. I didn't much care for the setup when the 600 was on top. Though I've never used a Sony flash, I have read enough bad things about them to believe they would be a great disappointment after using Speedlites. So I want a Canon hot shoe on the Sony. Is that asking too much?

Not at all, I was just curious what you would use it for. Hot shoes are useful for all sorts of things, mics, gadgets etc. I just wonder how such a small and light camera would work with a big flash on it. It might be totally out of balance. It will be interesting to see reviews of the tiny on-board flash, and if that is no good then I guess you would have to operate the flash remotely. For me at least the whole beauty of this RX100 III is that it is so small and light I do not need to carry lenses, flashes etc. and can quite literally put it in my trouser pocket without it looking weird or having them fall down! When I need a camera with lenses, flashes etc I would take the main camera for that job, the Canon.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 12:02:12 AM »

Not at all, I was just curious what you would use it for. Hot shoes are useful for all sorts of things, mics, gadgets etc. I just wonder how such a small and light camera would work with a big flash on it. It might be totally out of balance. It will be interesting to see reviews of the tiny on-board flash, and if that is no good then I guess you would have to operate the flash remotely. For me at least the whole beauty of this RX100 III is that it is so small and light I do not need to carry lenses, flashes etc. and can quite literally put it in my trouser pocket without it looking weird or having them fall down! When I need a camera with lenses, flashes etc I would take the main camera for that job, the Canon.

Absolutely agree. Excellent IQ in a pocketable package is the greatest feature. I just like options. Between you and me, I don't really expect Sony to put a Canon shoe on their products. Then nobody would buy Sony flashes! Actually, the truth is that when I got the eos m, the kit came with the 22 pancake, and I bought a white box 18-55 and the EF adapter as well as a small minimalist case for the m+22 and another for everything + one more lens. In reality, I only really use the 22. So to keep it thin I put an XS-Pro filter on the front and leave the lens cap off and just put the thing in a cargo pocket.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 12:02:12 AM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2014, 01:25:35 AM »
I checked with my local dealer today, they could not even find the MK III in their system.  That's strange, since they sell a lot of cameras at their two local stores as well as operating a big online store (onecall.com)

I was in Seattle last week and stopped at Fry's to see if they had the MK III.  What a disaster.  They had only two Canon DSLR's, which were two 70 D kits, one Nikon DSLR Model, and a Sony or two.  The other 90% of their display was empty.  Same for P&S cameras, no high end ones and lots of empty spaces. 

No sale tax + free shipping: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1049537-REG/sony_dscrx100m3_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100_iii_digital.html

Washington State requires that I pay sales tax, and my accountant makes sure it happens.  Just because B&H does not offer the convenience of handling tax for me, does not mean that its due.

My Cameras are owned and purchased by my business for product photography.  They may also get used a little for other uses, usually charity work.

As an US citizen, I feel we already paid enough taxes. I might be the odd one here, but I didn't feel guilty for not paying sale tax on my 1dx at all.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 09:41:28 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Tugela

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »

Because the current camera doesn't have one, therefore it is an indispensable feature.

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2014, 03:28:44 PM »

Because the current camera doesn't have one, therefore it is an indispensable feature.
Hot shoe allows for a small radio trigger to be added for off camera flash units ... I would have liked to have it, but its no big deal for me, so I'm still getting the RX100III
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Tugela

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »

As an US citizen, I feel we already paid enough taxes. I might be the odd one here, but I didn't feel guilty for not paying sale tax on my 1dx at all.

OT, but the US has one of the lowest tax rate structures in the industrialized world (and it shows in your infrastructure).

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2014, 04:40:27 PM »

OT, but the US has one of the lowest tax rate structures in the industrialized world (and it shows in your infrastructure).

Why pay more when you legally don't have to.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:51:01 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

sparda79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tingkap Vistaku
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »
I tried this at a Sony Center yesterday and I'm really impressed...
5D Mark III
24-105L | 50L | 100L | 70-200L II | 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »