July 21, 2018, 12:17:43 AM

Author Topic: Who's on Instagram?  (Read 9104 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
Who's on Instagram?
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »
When Instagram first came out, I thought it was pretty lame and was just a way for mobile photographers to add filters to make their lousy photos look better.  A while back, I signed up and was surprised to see National Geo and others posting real (i.e. not mobile) photos.  After realizing that you can upload your own photos, I began doing so and just uploaded my 99th photo today.  I don't like the square format - I don't like 4:3, either, I'm definitely a 3:2 or wider guy, but I'm having fun with it.  I like seeing others photos and sharing my work with people from around the world. 

[shameless self-promotion]
If you'd like to see my photos and follow me, here's my link - click on the badge or use the link.  I'm planning to hold a print giveaway contest tomorrow to mark my 100th post:

http://instagram.com/ianandersonphotography

[/shameless self-promotion]

How many other members are on Instagram?  What are your thoughts on using it? 

If you like, please post your link so we can follow each other.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:42:03 PM by mackguyver »
CPS Score: 111 points, those 0 and 1 point items really add up

canon rumors FORUM

Who's on Instagram?
« on: April 30, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: Who's on Instagram?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:09:13 PM »
What's Instagram?   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

AcutancePhotography

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »
Interesting to read that serious photography is now on instagram.

Good luck with it, hope you like the experience.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

dcm

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • It's not the gear.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 01:33:22 PM »
Only use it for snapshot sharing with other family members so far.
Shooting with Canon since 1982 - 1DX2, M5, some lenses

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
Interesting to read that serious photography is now on instagram.

Good luck with it, hope you like the experience.
Yeah, I was surprised, too.  It had such a bad rap from photographers (myself included) when it started, but it's kind of fun.  There's a huge Russian presence on it, which was unexpected, but nearly all of the NG photographers and a lot of others are starting to post their work on it.  I'm not a fan of Facebook or Twitter so I thought I'd give it a try.  It's still an experiment in progress but so far it hasn't cost me much more than about 5 minutes a day to pick a photo from my Smugmug app, crop it, and add a description and some keywords (aka hashtags) and hit post.

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 02:33:44 PM »
My kids are.
That's it, I'm switching to Rollei

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:38:36 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 02:38:36 PM »

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 01:46:50 PM »

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »
Update on my experiences with Instagram.  I've posted 179 photos now and have a whopping 69 followers...not so good compared to the millions others have...

It's 5 minutes at most a day and I did find some apps to uncrop, i.e. add white letterboxes, my photos, so it's not been a big investment, but it hasn't exactly paid off for me.

The best part - my old crappy "throw back Thursday" aka TBT photos and a photo of my cat have proven to be my most popular in terms of "likes".  Well, one Osprey picture is my 2nd most popular at least!

Two conclusions so far - #1, I have no idea how to exploit this platform (clearly!), and #2, celebrities, cats, photos of young women's outfits, cleavage, "thigh gaps", and such are clearly the most popular photos.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 02:38:43 AM »

I've recently been told that instagram is the one thing to post on next to tumblr if you want to spread your photography, but I don't really come to terms with it.

As far as I see it this has a destinct "upload your mobile phone shots" look & fell, and I recently read the user base is very young and predominantly female (I could try to remember the link if necessary) which squares with the people raving about it to me.

colin.davis

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Colin Davis Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 08:16:42 AM »
Hey Mackguyver, on advice from a friend, I have given it a go. It is as you say pretty easy to just upload a photo from your collection.  I seem to be doing pretty well, almost at the 1k mark. Whoop whoop.

http://instagram.com/colindavisphotography

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 09:46:31 AM »

I've recently been told that instagram is the one thing to post on next to tumblr if you want to spread your photography, but I don't really come to terms with it.

As far as I see it this has a destinct "upload your mobile phone shots" look & fell, and I recently read the user base is very young and predominantly female (I could try to remember the link if necessary) which squares with the people raving about it to me.
I think Instagram is growing and changing and it slants female, but it's certainly not like Pinterest (said to be 85-90% female).  If anything, it seems to have a lot of Russians on it, which is interesting.  As I said, for me, the investment so far has been minimal and it's kind of fun to interact with people from all around the world.

The thing I need to do is to learn how to use it better, but I guess that would require some investment of my time.

Hey Mackguyver, on advice from a friend, I have given it a go. It is as you say pretty easy to just upload a photo from your collection.  I seem to be doing pretty well, almost at the 1k mark. Whoop whoop.

http://instagram.com/colindavisphotography
Hey Collin, I just followed you (ianandersonphotography) and I like your work.  You're obviously much better at IG than me, but I'm a social media disaster on Facebook and Twitter.  Sadly, LinkedIn is the only one I seem to have had much success with, but I'm eager to change that with IG.  Congrats on getting so many to follow you and now you're one follower closer to 1000! 

dryanparker

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • Art photographer based in Miami.
    • Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:38:28 AM »
I use LinkedIn and Instagram quite heavily, and to a lesser extent Twitter.

Instagram has a lot of garbage on the platform, but a ton of really great stuff too. Much of the clutter is a result of people trying to monetize it. Indeed, a lot of "social media celebrities" have somehow amassed enormous followings (usually for alarmingly superficial reasons) and sell posts with product placement, brand mentions, etc.

I have a modest following, mostly friends and other photographers, and I use Instagram to share a mix of my "real photography" and everyday iPhone photos. I love the platform.

www.instagram.com/dryanparker
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:38:28 AM »

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 10:43:18 AM »

Instagram has a lot of garbage on the platform, but a ton of really great stuff too. Much of the clutter is a result of people trying to monetize it. Indeed, a lot of "social media celebrities" have somehow amassed enormous followings (usually for alarmingly superficial reasons) and sell posts with product placement, brand mentions, etc.

I have a modest following, mostly friends and other photographers, and I use Instagram to share a mix of my "real photography" and everyday iPhone photos. I love the platform.

A fellow Floridian - I have followed you as well, and I agree with your thoughts on the platform.  I like your mix of photos and I love that custom case you kept your RZ kit in - I hope you got some decent cash for the set.

dryanparker

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • Art photographer based in Miami.
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 10:55:40 AM »

A fellow Floridian - I have followed you as well, and I agree with your thoughts on the platform.  I like your mix of photos and I love that custom case you kept your RZ kit in - I hope you got some decent cash for the set.

Thanks! Followed you too, Ian. Lovely nature photos, and I see a lot of familiar North Florida scenes!

I loved the RZ, but it was time to go back to digital. I'll eventually get back into medium format, too. It taught me a huge amount, and I have a binder of killer negatives that I'm proud to have made.

Unfortunately, the RZ gear was sold at a pretty substantial loss, but I got great enjoyment from it, and that goes a long way with me.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 10:57:26 AM by dryanparker »
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 10:55:40 AM »