October 24, 2014, 11:33:53 AM

Author Topic: Who's on Instagram?  (Read 1978 times)

jocau

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Who's on Instagram?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »
Possibly one of the best things about instagram is that all pictures are only 612 pixels by 612 pixels (there is no other possibility). That means nobody can "steal" your photos and sell large prints of them to earn some money.
550D | 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | 50mm F/1.8 II | 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »

vargyropoulos

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 01:46:12 PM »
I've recently created an account on instagram after speaking with some of my models who use it more than they do facebook and other social media. I will acknowledge that it has very good marketing potential but at the end of the day it turns into yet another popularity contest.

the other minimal value for me is that I know which people have used images that I took as part of a TFP arrangement and for which I had not been given photo credits.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
Possibly one of the best things about instagram is that all pictures are only 612 pixels by 612 pixels (there is no other possibility). That means nobody can "steal" your photos and sell large prints of them to earn some money.
Very true, and I definitely like that aspect.

I've recently created an account on instagram after speaking with some of my models who use it more than they do facebook and other social media. I will acknowledge that it has very good marketing potential but at the end of the day it turns into yet another popularity contest.

the other minimal value for me is that I know which people have used images that I took as part of a TFP arrangement and for which I had not been given photo credits.
I'm just trying to have fun with it and see where it leads, but I understand the popularity contest aspect.  If you make that your focus, I think that's a bad idea.  Also, photos can easily be deleted and put back up, so I'd think about contacting those TFP models and asking them to do that.

It's funny though - I've added 6 followers (including some from CR) since I posted yesterday.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2014, 07:04:13 PM »
The idea of participating in anything where I would have "followers" creeps me out. There's just not enough Kool-Aid to go around, I guess!

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2014, 07:09:22 PM »
The idea of participating in anything where I would have "followers" creeps me out. There's just not enough Kool-Aid to go around, I guess!
We all follow you on this forum, though ;)  Okay, just kidding, but I can understand that, too.  A better term might be fans or people interested in your photos.

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 08:56:30 PM »
When Instagram first came out, I thought it was pretty lame and was just a way for mobile photographers to add filters to make their lousy photos look better.  A while back, I signed up and was surprised to see National Geo and others posting real (i.e. not mobile) photos.  After realizing that you can upload your own photos, I began doing so and just uploaded my 99th photo today.  I don't like the square format - I don't like 4:3, either, I'm definitely a 3:2 or wider guy, but I'm having fun with it.  I like seeing others photos and sharing my work with people from around the world. 

First, I applaud you for having an open mind and checking it out despite your initial assumptions/reservations.  Judging from many posts on this forum and other photography-themed ones, it seems to me many photogs tend to be a bit close-minded and not likely to change opinions on many subjects.

I haven't used Instagram in over year, mainly due to it being a big time-suck if I let it (not only browsing other's photos, but I tried to respond to each and every person's comments on my pics, which led me to start dreading posting...haha).  That, and having several pictures 'stolen' with other users posting them as their own pictures. Not that I sell my work, but just having them stolen was frustrating and annoying.

Other than that my experience was extremely positive, probably partly because I joined before it blew up into a selfie/celebrity popularity contest.  I actually had pics hit the popular page a number of times before it became full of selfies and had a few thousand followers, most of whom were actually interested in photography.  That's not any big statement on my pictures or ability as I'm still just an amateur, I'm just saying things were different a couple of years ago.

Instagram is different things to different people, but there are serious photographers on there, pros and amateurs.  I used to get feedback on my work which drove me to try to get better (at least a little ;))  and to connect with other photogs, just as it sounds like you're doing.  My interest is mainly landscape, and after I got past the fear of meeting potentially psychotic strangers, I joined a few photo meetups and even led a couple (California coast and Antelope Canyon).  Along the way I've been extremely fortunate to have made some great friends, one of whom plans 1-2 trips a year with me with no end in sight as we're trying to check things off our bucket lists.   ;D

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 10:00:12 AM »
When Instagram first came out, I thought it was pretty lame and was just a way for mobile photographers to add filters to make their lousy photos look better.  A while back, I signed up and was surprised to see National Geo and others posting real (i.e. not mobile) photos.  After realizing that you can upload your own photos, I began doing so and just uploaded my 99th photo today.  I don't like the square format - I don't like 4:3, either, I'm definitely a 3:2 or wider guy, but I'm having fun with it.  I like seeing others photos and sharing my work with people from around the world. 

First, I applaud you for having an open mind and checking it out despite your initial assumptions/reservations.  Judging from many posts on this forum and other photography-themed ones, it seems to me many photogs tend to be a bit close-minded and not likely to change opinions on many subjects.

I haven't used Instagram in over year, mainly due to it being a big time-suck if I let it (not only browsing other's photos, but I tried to respond to each and every person's comments on my pics, which led me to start dreading posting...haha).  That, and having several pictures 'stolen' with other users posting them as their own pictures. Not that I sell my work, but just having them stolen was frustrating and annoying.

Other than that my experience was extremely positive, probably partly because I joined before it blew up into a selfie/celebrity popularity contest.  I actually had pics hit the popular page a number of times before it became full of selfies and had a few thousand followers, most of whom were actually interested in photography.  That's not any big statement on my pictures or ability as I'm still just an amateur, I'm just saying things were different a couple of years ago.

Instagram is different things to different people, but there are serious photographers on there, pros and amateurs.  I used to get feedback on my work which drove me to try to get better (at least a little ;))  and to connect with other photogs, just as it sounds like you're doing.  My interest is mainly landscape, and after I got past the fear of meeting potentially psychotic strangers, I joined a few photo meetups and even led a couple (California coast and Antelope Canyon).  Along the way I've been extremely fortunate to have made some great friends, one of whom plans 1-2 trips a year with me with no end in sight as we're trying to check things off our bucket lists.   ;D
Thank you for the nice post, and I agree, people should be more open to trying new things and Instagram is one of those new things right now.  It can be a time-suck like you say, but I guess it is what you make of it, and I'm happy to hear about your positive experiences. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 10:00:12 AM »

TeT

• Rebel T5i
  • I am smiling because I am happy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 11:05:09 AM »
Its a great app... Especially if you have wifi on your body...

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 03:44:17 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 04:44:11 PM »
I hated it then gave in, http://instagram.com/sommervillephotography
I hated it too when it was just people slapping crappy vintage filters on iPhone photos, but it has evolved.  I just followed you - nice portraits!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 04:44:11 PM »