December 10, 2016, 12:15:59 PM

Author Topic: Canada Post is literally giving me an Ulcer - Ed Mika  (Read 19071 times)

Harley

• EOS M3
Re: Canada Post is literally giving me an Ulcer - Ed Mika
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 08:11:48 PM »
Ed,
The larger screws for my "pre-30k serial number" FL 55 arrived today.  I replaced all three smaller screws.  The smaller screws had worked and two of the three held fine before, but all three larger ones bit and its feels a little more solid all around.  You were right about the tighter fit to the camera mount after installing the bigger screws.  After taking the lens off and putting it back on a couple of times it smoothed out.  Thanks for all your follow-up. 
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2011, 08:11:48 PM »

ontarian

• EOS M3
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Harley, and all the great images helping show just what a unique lens this really is.  I've since modified the brass machining program to accommodate the slightly larger screws and only ship the larger screws as well, I think it will now perfectly handle both versions of the FL55 1.2. -Ed Mika

Ed,
The larger screws for my "pre-30k serial number" FL 55 arrived today.  I replaced all three smaller screws.  The smaller screws had worked and two of the three held fine before, but all three larger ones bit and its feels a little more solid all around.  You were right about the tighter fit to the camera mount after installing the bigger screws.  After taking the lens off and putting it back on a couple of times it smoothed out.  Thanks for all your follow-up.

surfntx2002

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
Hey there Ed. After years of not shooting, I am about to make the leap to digital. I have the 800mm and shot surfing with it attached to an F1. Not having any experience with digital and reading some of your comments about using live view for best focusing results, I was wondering if you think it will be possible for me to shoot action such as surfing using a 7D through the viewfinder in combination with the 800mm and your converter? Sorry for showing such ignorance about digital as it is all new to me....Thanks for your time.

ontarian

• EOS M3
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2011, 09:28:50 AM »
It would be possible but to improve my critically in focus rate I would either also buy one of those aftermarket split prism focus screens for the 7D or I would try to stop the lens down as much as possible to give me a better fudge factor by giving me a greater depth of feild.  I replaced the focus screens on both my 1D4s and depend on them more than either the focus confirmation chip or personal vision focus perception. Though with digital you can shoot many more pictures and with action you may be eyeballing more than anything so just feel and overshooting your way through it would probably work too.

Harley

• EOS M3
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »
Ed, Do you have a focusing screen you would recommend for the 7D?
EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f/4 L, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX, FD TS 35mm f/2.8, FL 55mm f/1.2, FD 300mm f/2.8 L

ontarian

• EOS M3
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2011, 06:10:20 PM »
I'd get a katzeye based on the limited research I've done.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/881589/

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2011, 11:48:14 PM »
Well, if you do, the FL 55mm is something special.  The focal length is very usable -- 88mm equivalent on my 7D.  I haven't removed it from the camera since I got it!
Those are some great preview shots, thanks!  50/55mm (Fujinon 55mm f/2.2) is one of my preferred focal lengths on APS-C; I started with 50mm.  Your samples have a look distinct from the EF 50mm f/1.4 and also from the Fujinon M42 lens (a non-multicoated version).  I have seen a couple other sample images which highlight some of the possibility of somewhat odd renditions with this lens, but in your samples you've definitely brought out the good in the lens.  The somewhat orange tint to some of the pictures also resists being classified as "dated," instead looking like just a great photo.

It does seem like out-of-focus backgrounds can have a sort of "spherical" look to them (as seen here) but it's probably no big deal.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2011, 11:48:14 PM »

Harley

• EOS M3
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2011, 12:45:52 AM »
Those are some great preview shots, thanks!  50/55mm (Fujinon 55mm f/2.2) is one of my preferred focal lengths on APS-C; I started with 50mm.  Your samples have a look distinct from the EF 50mm f/1.4 and also from the Fujinon M42 lens (a non-multicoated version).  I have seen a couple other sample images which highlight some of the possibility of somewhat odd renditions with this lens, but in your samples you've definitely brought out the good in the lens.  The somewhat orange tint to some of the pictures also resists being classified as "dated," instead looking like just a great photo.

It does seem like out-of-focus backgrounds can have a sort of "spherical" look to them (as seen here) but it's probably no big deal.

Thanks!  Glad to know those were helpful to describe the lens.

Yes, the out of focus backgrounds can have a spherical, slightly intensified or differently-colored edge to them, almost like the beginnings of a coffee stain.  It seems to pretty much go away by f/1.4 or f/2.  It's not a hard and fast rule.  Some subjects bring it out and some don't.  Anyway, most of the time I find the effect can be rather pleasing. 

I created another forum post under "Image Gallery \ Lens Gallery \ Canon FL 55mm" with some more photo samples.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,1758.0.html
Hopefully some other people will post theirs as well. 

I'd get a katzeye based on the limited research I've done.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/881589/
Thanks, the Katzeye is what I had been leaning towards getting installed.  I suspect having a good split prism focusing screen could be the final key to making this lens really perform.

Harley

• EOS M3
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 12:38:21 PM »
FYI, I just sent the 7D out to get a Katzeye focusing screen installed.  I'll let people know what the verdict is when it gets returned, but I suspect this will be just the ticket for the EdMika converted FL 55mm f/1.2 lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 12:38:21 PM »