October 22, 2014, 12:13:10 PM

Author Topic: When Does the Year of the Lens Start?  (Read 8599 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: When Does the Year of the Lens Start?
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »
I think Sigma has started on a trail that will be a lot more threatening to Canon than a Nikon 800E or a Sony A7r. They are going straight to the heart of Canon supremacy and offer top notch lenses at half price.

I sort of agree and sort of disagree.

Clearly the "art" series is going after consumers with a high amount of discretionary dollars and I wonder how many of those consumers are price-sensitive. I think it is a gamble and I wish them well, but I don't think there is any guarantee that their products will find a market.

Actually, if I were Sigma I would be very worried about Tamron and Tokina, which generally produce better quality at less cost. Indeed, that may be why Sigma seems to be going "all in" on the Art series.

And I have to disagree with you.  Name me one Tamron lens that has even a quarter of the rapturous praise and accolades that the Sigma Art lenses have amassed.  Personally, I've heard of their 24-70 F/2.8 IS and the 150-600, as well as their superzooms for APS-C, but none of those have people shaking their heads in disbelief like the two Sigma Art primes have done.

Sigma is not going after high discretionary dollars shooters with their Art glass -- the Art lenses are not for enthusiasts only.  They are going after pros and non-pros who want the best possible (autofocusing) lenses for their bodies.  The relative value of those Art lenses -- the performance to their price -- is flat-out spectacular. 

I see Tamron very differently, as a competent but ultimately 2nd-tier lens designer that is getting by solely on price and the odd portfolio gap.  That's what Sigma was doing for years, and I give them credit for bravely attempting to evolve out of that position.  Sigma has reinvented their image as not only punching their weight against L glass but (in some instances) significantly outperforming it.

Keep in mind I only own Canon glass.  But those two Sigma primes have me considering their products now.  I challenge Tamron to similarly show me something that will have me hold them in equal regard -- I haven't seen it yet.

- A

My tamron 28-75 took down my 24-105L for RAW sharpness and my tamron 17-50 2.8 took down my 17-40L all-around.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2014, 06:52:19 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »
One thing they have to do to win me over is to deliver the lenses I listed (or something similar), deliver consistent quality And add weather sealing. It is unthinkable for me to sell my L-glass for anything without weather sealing. The current Sigma lenses I have now are bought more from curiosity than need.

I have to agree with Eldar on this particular point, I have the 35 Art, like it, use it, but, without weather sealing, for my type of Imaging (Dust/Rain/Snow), no weather sealing handicaps the Lens so I tend to bring it out in optimal weather conditions.

But, the Sigma 35 Art is other than the lack of weather sealing, a very good Lens, in most areas better then my Canon 35L, I look forward to getting the Sigma 50 Art, I suspect it may well perform better then my Canon 50f/1.2 L but not as well as my Otus 55, but it will have a reasonably reliable (hopefully) AF feature.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

CANONisOK

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2014, 11:22:52 PM »
My tamron 28-75 took down my 24-105L for RAW sharpness and my tamron 17-50 2.8 took down my 17-40L all-around.
Tamron hit a sweet spot with their new superzoom telephoto. I am surprised as anyone with the 150-600mm. After owning and using it for a couple of months, I decided to sell my 300 f4 L & 100-400 L. The quality and versatility of that zoom is enough to satisfy me until I'm ready to drop some dough on a big white lens. This from someone who's never owned a non-vintage 3rd party lens.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:25:16 PM by CANONisOK »
5D mark 3: R14/2.8, 24mm f/2.8 IS, 35mm f/2 IS, 50 1.2L, 100L macro, 85L, 135L, 300mm f/2.8 ii. 8-15L Fisheye, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L IS II, TAM 150-600mm,  2x600ex-rt
EOS M: 18-55mm, 22mm
SL1: 10-18mm IS, 18-55mm IS

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2014, 11:46:42 PM »
Maybe Canon was talking about Sigma?  :o

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2014, 01:46:17 AM »
One thing they have to do to win me over is to deliver the lenses I listed (or something similar), deliver consistent quality And add weather sealing. It is unthinkable for me to sell my L-glass for anything without weather sealing. The current Sigma lenses I have now are bought more from curiosity than need.

I have to agree with Eldar on this particular point, I have the 35 Art, like it, use it, but, without weather sealing, for my type of Imaging (Dust/Rain/Snow), no weather sealing handicaps the Lens so I tend to bring it out in optimal weather conditions.

But, the Sigma 35 Art is other than the lack of weather sealing, a very good Lens, in most areas better then my Canon 35L, I look forward to getting the Sigma 50 Art, I suspect it may well perform better then my Canon 50f/1.2 L but not as well as my Otus 55, but it will have a reasonably reliable (hopefully) AF feature.

Which fast aperture 35 and 50mm lenses have weather sealing?  And what type of precipitation are you wanting to use these in?  Or do you need to shoot subjects where water is being splashed?

The 35mm Art is the next lens I want to buy.  Do you use the USB dock on yours?

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2014, 02:00:49 AM »

A number of L lenses -- including that 35L if memory serves -- are not weather sealed either.

- A

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »

A number of L lenses -- including that 35L if memory serves -- are not weather sealed either.

- A

Weather sealing is the smartest marketing trick of the photographic history. No one knows what it is, but everyone wants it.

Brawndo's got electrolytes. It's got what plants crave.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2014, 01:49:50 PM »
Weather sealing is the smartest marketing trick of the photographic history. No one knows what it is, but everyone wants it.

Agree.  All claims + no standards = words, little more.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/02/14/how-a-lens-becomes-weather-sealed/

- A

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2014, 03:22:29 PM »
Come on now! We have been through this before.... 2014 is the year of the LENS. Not the year of the lenses, the year of the lens.... singular!

Expect one lens release.

Technically, they never said it would be the year of the Canon lens.  Maybe they were just predicting Sigma sales?   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2014, 03:10:49 PM »

Agree.  All claims + no standards = words, little more.

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/02/14/how-a-lens-becomes-weather-sealed/

- A
Say what you want, but my "weather sealed" Canon gear has survived many times in the rain.  My other "normal"electronics have not.  It would be nice if they used standards like other outdoor gear (e.g. GPS units) but I'll take my weather sealed gear any day over stuff that isn't.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2014, 03:35:38 PM »
Say what you want, but my "weather sealed" Canon gear has survived many times in the rain.  My other "normal"electronics have not.

Unsealed L lenses might be sturdier anyway even w/o the very expensive rubber ring on the back, but alas, my non-L macro broke down twice due to moisture before I switched to the L which works flawlessly. Ymmv.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2014, 03:35:38 PM »