June 23, 2018, 11:46:58 PM

Author Topic: Canon lens packing  (Read 1554 times)

Ruined

• EOS 5DS R
Canon lens packing
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »
So got a new L prime, UPS comes to deliver it, fumbles the shipping box and drops it about 4ft onto pavement.  Lens still packet tightly in shipping box, of course.  Checked for decentering using star chart and looks ok.  Some abberations on the center dot at 1.4 but normal enough for ultra wide aperture.

I have  to wonder though, how well do the Canon boxes protect the lens from shock?  And, how much shock does it take to decenter or otherwise damage a lens (that exhibits no signs of physical damage)?

Wondering for in the case of this lens, and also when I ship a lens in the future...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:23:47 PM by Ruined »

canon rumors FORUM

Canon lens packing
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
Re: Canon lens packing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 12:50:58 AM »
They are usually well protected, but it all depends on just how the box lands.  I sell very sensitive equipment online, and ship all over.  I tried various packing methods and kicked and dropped the package numerous times, and then checked the internal accelerometer of the equipment, as well as some other parameters that are affected by shock.  Eventually, I decided on the best packing method, and rarely have a item damaged in shipping. I am pretty sure that Canon and others have recommended packing practices for their resale dealers.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon lens packing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 12:50:58 AM »