September 17, 2014, 01:55:37 PM

Author Topic: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART vs Canon 50mm f/1.2 - Quick Comparison Photos  (Read 16919 times)

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
Re: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART vs Canon 50mm f/1.2 - Quick Comparison Photos
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »
At the risk of being considered rude, my comment is one of suspicion.  The author said that he put the two lenses on two different 5D3s and took casual snapshots around his home.  So how is it that in each pair of shots, the composition and focus are so identical?  And how the heck did he get the dog to stay absolutely perfectly still while he switched cameras?

Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »

metacove

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2014, 10:02:36 AM »
And how the heck did he get the dog to stay absolutely perfectly still while he switched cameras?

I have a dog that is often a focus test subject for my lenses ;-) It's very easy to catch them in one spot for several minutes. I have a standard poodle which are known for being active and agile yet I still notice my dog is plenty lazy ;-)

Thank you so much for these pictures. If only my pre-order would ship......

jeffabbyben

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2014, 11:06:15 AM »
At the risk of being considered rude, my comment is one of suspicion.  The author said that he put the two lenses on two different 5D3s and took casual snapshots around his home.  So how is it that in each pair of shots, the composition and focus are so identical?  And how the heck did he get the dog to stay absolutely perfectly still while he switched cameras?

I bet he is a secret agent for sigma hell bent on single handedly destroying canon. 

rocksubculture

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »

LOL

My dog is camera shy and kind of freezes up and looks away. I just had one camera in each hand and would pay attention to the composition in the corners of each shot and duplicate, as well as kind of brace my shots in the same position. I really just tried to get a variety of shots to see how the lenses might differ.

Jason

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »
rocksubculture....thanks for posting the images....no incessant "measurebating, focal...blah..blah..blah.."
In real life (I tended toward the Sigma as I have the 35mm which I love) I can see that both lenses offer there very special signature which with each has its own pluses and minuses.  Well done.
I was hell-bent on buying the Sigma Art...but I think I am just going to hold on to my Sigma 50mm DG and enjoy its own rendering for a while longer.  I have a friend who is dying to buy the lens from me as he KNOWS the new Sigma is giving me serious G.A.S. ...especially since I just bought the Sigma lens dock....
I think I need to step away from this..go make some pictures and come back to the prospect with a clearer head.
I actually like all three lenses...what is a poh boy to do!!!!!!! LOL!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2014, 11:43:27 AM »

LOL

My dog is camera shy and kind of freezes up and looks away. I just had one camera in each hand and would pay attention to the composition in the corners of each shot and duplicate, as well as kind of brace my shots in the same position. I really just tried to get a variety of shots to see how the lenses might differ.

Jason

Well, you did an amazingly good job!  And your dog even keeps his tongue in the same position from shot to shot.  It just seems kind of odd and not typical of the casual test shots we usually see posted.  I always try to be just a bit sceptical when I see stuff posted on the net.
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 11:58:11 AM »
I received the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART a few days ago (I pre-ordered on B&H on April 11th at noon; it shipped April 28th)

I haven't seen too many user photos so thought I would provide some comparisons with my Canon f/1.2 in the event that might be helpful to some looking at this lens.

I have all Canon-branded lenses currently, except the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, which I love.  I have found it to be a good focal length for all around shooting and love it for low light.  As such, I was interested in checking out the 50mm version, even though I've already got the Canon f/1.2 version (and I feel like I have a really great copy, as I had one prior to my current one and didn't get the same results/experience).

So I haven't really had a chance to use the new Sigma 50mm Art property, but I just quickly took some random pics in my house. 

These are not meant to be great photos, but just provide some comparisons against Canon's f/1.2 version of the 50mm.

What I did was put each lens on its own Canon 5D Mk III (I have two) and took photos all at f/1.4 and at varying shutterspeeds (had on manual with Auto ISO).  So the settings are more or less the same in each shot, one taken after another.  So not scientific at all, but gives some comparison...

These are straight OOC JPEGS saved down to 1024 pixels for this forum...  if you want any 100% crop of the originals for anything, let me know.

My biggest take-away is that there is more color and color contrast in the Sigma shots... and Canon blurs OOF lights more.  Will have to experiment more with some night time / dark shots...  Also, you can focus closer to the subject with the Sigma with autofocus.  Sigma also has a quicker focus going from, say, across the room to something close up.

I know there's been talk about focusing issues...  I was using single point autofocus, and didn't have any issues at all - it seemed to hit what I was focusing on pretty reliably.  But again, these aren't great photos...  just some quick snaps.

Currently, I'm really impressed with the Sigma.  But am withholding judgment until I can take some portrait photos and put it through it's paces on that front...

In each photo below, the first example is the Canon 50mm f/1.2 and the second example is the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART:

Jason

Thanks for the comparisons Jason!

To be totally honest, I have a hard time seeing any difference at all (watching this from a crappy laptop screen). If I strain my eyes, I might agree that there might be some slight color renditions. This bodes well for the Sigma, as I love the 50L, but could not afford it.

Btw: Love to see others who value good knives ;) Six Kai Shun.. I love mine.
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2014, 11:58:11 AM »

candc

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2014, 12:15:05 PM »

LOL

Jason

Thanks for doing the comparison. I am looking at getting one of these 2 lenses. I have some sigma lenses and am generally happy with them. I know the new sigma is supposed to be really sharp but the canon shots look really good too.I just really like the way the canon looks on a camera. Its got a unique extra fat stubby look that makes me want to buy it just for that reason.

Jemlnlx

• Power Shot G16
  • Itchy shutter finger...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2014, 01:18:19 PM »
Thanks for the review. I have the original 50mm Sigma 1.4, which I like but am looking into an upgrade. I have rented the 50mm 1.2 and liked it as well....decisions...decisions? $950 pricepoint is tempting...
5DIII, 24-70 f/2.8 I, 70-200 f/4 IS, 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro, 17-40 f/4, Sigma 50mm 1.4

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
Thank you so much for these photos. If I had to buy either of the two lenses I would buy the Sigma as I prefer better contrast.

If you do decide to buy the Sigma 50Art, have a good read here first Sanj.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20627.210

I had the 50 Art on Order, but cancelled after reading the issues regards AF that seem quite consistent, not what I was expecting after having owned & used the 35Art for around 9 Months now, the 35 Art has some issues in dim light, but otherwise performs exceptionally well.

The Otus 55f/1.4 is just exceptional, and any focus issues remain the Photographers, the only real issue I've ever found with my 50f/1.2 L has been slow to focus, it's perhaps not as sharp as what I'm seeing from others on the 50 Art, but the 50f/1.2 L doesn't have an inconsistent AF issue (at least mine doesn't), the AF issues I'm seeing with the Sigma 50 Art are a deal breaker for me.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »

Check the EXIF, it is from two 5D MkIII's.

I was actually putting a comparison selection together, with adjusted colours and contrast, even at 100% the images are identical, but the focus points are very different in each pair so it falls down a bit.

To be sure, anybody can make the colour and contrast of these two lenses identical, even with just jpegs. The most strikingly different pair, the stereo/cable box (?) lights are focused on completely different planes so the blur comparison is fatally flawed there too.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2014, 05:52:53 AM »
For me personally I find the 50L unacceptably soft. If you can see a clear improvement in sharpness in 1024 px in uncropped frames like I can then there is a huge difference. I really don't know what else to say. You can also make the sigma images look just like the Canons @f/1.4 in the in focus areas, just by softening the sigma up, literally there are light room settings that make both indistinguishable for in focus areas but you can't create detail that was never recorded with the Canon. Logically speaking if you get a good copy and ignore the very minor difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 the Sigma is better in every measurable and conceivable factor. I really don't get why this is so contentious.
Yep, no doubt there is a big difference if it's visible in 1024px photos.  The Sigma wins for sharpness at f/1.4 and for richer color, and for that it's going to attract a lot of photographers.  The difference is certainly visible in the full-res uploaded to Dropbox (Thank you Jason for that).

However, while sharpness and detail are important, they aren't everything there is to know about a lens.  The 50L adds a beauty factor in how it draws a picture.  It just looks pretty, especially for portraits.  Maybe the 50L's slight softness is an advantage for some photos and for some photographers.  I'm eager to see some portrait comparisons with the Sigma 50/1.4.  I'm sure the Sigma will compare well, but it will be interesting to see any differences.

So does that mean that you don't want the 50L to be sharper than the Sigma 50 Art?

If sharpness is your only concern, you shouldn't buy either of these lenses and instead get a 50mm f/1.8 and shoot at f/8, which I'll be much sharper than both of these at 1.4.

sigma is a little sharper at f/1.4 but can't do f/1.2 at all, can't get quite as thin DOF as the 50L, has less realistic color and less pleasing boke.  Personally no, I would not trade off those things for a.little more sharpness; I have a ton of sharp lenses but very few look quite like the 50l.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 07:10:27 AM by Ruined »

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2014, 07:36:53 AM »
For me personally I find the 50L unacceptably soft. If you can see a clear improvement in sharpness in 1024 px in uncropped frames like I can then there is a huge difference. I really don't know what else to say. You can also make the sigma images look just like the Canons @f/1.4 in the in focus areas, just by softening the sigma up, literally there are light room settings that make both indistinguishable for in focus areas but you can't create detail that was never recorded with the Canon. Logically speaking if you get a good copy and ignore the very minor difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 the Sigma is better in every measurable and conceivable factor. I really don't get why this is so contentious.
Yep, no doubt there is a big difference if it's visible in 1024px photos.  The Sigma wins for sharpness at f/1.4 and for richer color, and for that it's going to attract a lot of photographers.  The difference is certainly visible in the full-res uploaded to Dropbox (Thank you Jason for that).

However, while sharpness and detail are important, they aren't everything there is to know about a lens.  The 50L adds a beauty factor in how it draws a picture.  It just looks pretty, especially for portraits.  Maybe the 50L's slight softness is an advantage for some photos and for some photographers.  I'm eager to see some portrait comparisons with the Sigma 50/1.4.  I'm sure the Sigma will compare well, but it will be interesting to see any differences.

So does that mean that you don't want the 50L to be sharper than the Sigma 50 Art?

If sharpness is your only concern, you shouldn't buy either of these lenses and instead get a 50mm f/1.8 and shoot at f/8, which I'll be much sharper than both of these at 1.4.

sigma is a little sharper at f/1.4 but can't do f/1.2 at all, can't get quite as thin DOF as the 50L, has less realistic color and less pleasing boke.  Personally no, I would not trade off those things for a.little more sharpness; I have a ton of sharp lenses but very few look quite like the 50l.
Um...no bokeh?
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2014, 07:36:53 AM »

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2014, 07:43:42 AM »
I see what you are saying but, to me I can clearly see that the rendering is different for each shot exactly the way I would expect it to be for each lens.  Plus others have checked Jason's exif data and said it proves him true. Perhaps his dog is a professional model and Jason is just being modest?

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »

Um...no bokeh?

Ah, well if bokeh becomes a factor, there is no doubt that the 50L offers thinner depth of field and hence can render more out of focus.  This is not subjective, but rather a fact of f/1.2 vs f/1.4.  I also like the rendering better, though that is subjective.  But that is the whole point, one can crow about sharpness all they like but that is a very one dimensional and frankly inaccurate summation of a lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2014, 07:44:48 AM »