December 22, 2014, 03:13:26 AM

Author Topic: Before you buy your next prime...  (Read 11967 times)

JonAustin

• Canon 70D
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
Re: Before you buy your next prime...
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 02:26:52 PM »
You guys are hilarious. For some of us non pros, having a strategy is not something we think about. I just ordered the Canon 35mm f/2IS. I think that is a good move for me. Prior to that, I recently purchased the Canon 85mm f1.8 which I think is a great lens (compared to my nifty 50 which keeps missing focus) but I really want and plan on getting the 100mm macro which will probably negate the use of the 85mm.

I should start a thread on how to purchase equipment and sneak it into the house without your wife knowing  ;)

I'm with you on the non-pro perspective, Badger. (Semi / part-time pro, myself.) I don't really have a strategy, but I don't buy stuff willy-nilly, either. Whatever gear I do buy gets paid for out of the business account, but it still impacts bottom-line compensation.

I'm planning to buy the 35/2 IS this month, as well, while it's on instant rebate. I did debate the 24/28/35 issue, until I did an FL analysis of my LR library ... 30-40mm appears to be the FL in which I "live the most" when using my 17-40 or 24-105.

My 50mm is an f/2.5 CM, which is razor sharp, but its AF is a little slow and buzzy. I'm patiently awaiting the rumored 50 USM IS to replace it.

I bought an 85/1.8 about 10 years ago, and then ended up selling it after I got the 100/2.8 L IS macro 4 years ago ... just not enough distinction between them to make it worthwhile to keep the 85 (which I never shot wide open).

I'm eagerly awaiting the rumored 100-400 II, and I'd like to see a 135/2.x L IS. Otherwise, I have all the gear I need.

And to all of you making comments about hiding purchases from your wife ... funny to read, but I hope you're joking. If not, I predict a much bigger expense in your future (legal costs).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:31:01 PM by JonAustin »
Photographic equipment

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014, 02:26:52 PM »

LarryC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »
I take a different view on lens acquisitions.  I don't try to imagine what I want a new lens to do.  I try new lenses to see what they can do and how I can, or if I want to, incorporate whatever it is they do into my work.   I buy almost all of my lenses off eBay and look at it as more of a very low cost rental program - lenses I don't like, or don't see any new advantage from, get re-sold for very close to or more than I paid for them.   

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014, 03:16:52 PM »
My wife saw the photography gear before she married me, but married me anyway, therefore there is no such thing to complain about new gear. She will google what they cost so I'm just honest and tell her what I spent. And we live happily ever after ;D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2014, 03:19:53 PM »
The amount I spend on photography in no way compares to how much my wife spends on shoes and purses.   >:(
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »
The amount I spend on photography in no way compares to how much my wife spends on shoes and purses.   >:(
But do they match?

I can't tell you the chagrin I experience when I'm out on the town and my body doesn't match my white lens.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2014, 03:29:38 PM »
i couldn't watch past about 3 minutes as i almost died of boredom :P

In the first couple of minutes he asks the same question over and over in different ways, so I skipped to the six minute mark, where he was still asking the same damn question yet again (maybe there was something interesting in between).  At that point I gave up.  I expect most posts in this thread have said the same thing, or better, but in the appropriate number of words.

"Buy what you need" makes sense, of course, especially if you're a pro and know what you'll be doing with the lenses you buy, and I agree with what others have said along those lines.  But if you take photos for fun, enjoy experimenting with different products, or are just learning your way around, it's also worth noting that you don't necessarily know what you want, let alone "need", and that using prime lenses makes you think differently about what you do.  It can be an interesting exercise, for instance, to spend a day or two wandering around with a lens of a focal distance you think you don't want and see how doing so affects how you look at the world and whether it makes you encounter situations you find photogenic which had hitherto passed you by (28mm may = 28mm, but walking around all day with only a 28mm lens is not at all the same experience as walking around all day with a zoom lens set at 28mm, unless somehow immobilize the zoom mechanism).  You may discover a new want/need you were completely unaware of.

And playing around with new toys like this needn't involve great expense, furtive receipt of heavy packages, etc.  For one thing, responding to the urge to buy can be met with a rental - doesn't cost much, and you may not like the lens at all.  Or - and I think this is much more fun - buy a mirrorless camera of some sort that has magnification and focus peaking (they pretty much all do that these days, regardless of price) and a few cheap adapters and try some old manual lenses, many of which are very inexpensive and really good (you have to figure out manual focusing, etc., but that's not necessarily a disadvantage...); and if you don't like them, you can probably sell them for at least as much as you paid for them.

Over the past few days I've been playing with a Canon 55 1.2, a Super Takkumar 55 1.8, a Minolta 50 1.4 and Helios 58mm f2, while awaiting a Jupiter 85mm f2 and Nikon 100 2.8 (the sin of focal length duplication...), all of which combined cost considerably less than, say, the new Sigma 50mm 1.4.  There's more to life than satisfying "needs".

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »
I should start a thread on how to purchase equipment and sneak it into the house without your wife knowing  ;)
That's what I'll be doing today - sneaking, not writing a thread, that is 8).

1) Always own up to buying one white lens. Once you've got one, they all look alike, so that gives you the freedom to own more.

2) When ordering from the Canon refurbished store, track the package progress and then change the delivery address to the nearest Kinkos/Fed Ex site. That way you can go and pick it up yourself without having to rush home to snag the attempted delivery notice tag off the door before someone finds it.

3) Separate checking accounts have prevented more divorces than any other innovation known to mankind.

4) You will never be able to sneak every purchase in, so build up some immunity. Do that by never, ever criticizing or questioning her when a box arrives from an online clothing, purse or shoe store. Smile. Complement her on her good taste and make a point of being pleased that she bought herself something nice. You are earning credits that you can cash in later.

5) Always include some low cost item in your purchases from B&H and Adorama – "Oh yeah, I ordered some batteries...a filter...a camera strap...etc. I don't know why they send that stuff in such a big box."

6) If you've got a big purchase planned, start the process early on. I'm going to start mentioning the new Tamron 150-600 zoom soon so that by the time Black Friday rolls around she'll be ready to tell me to just get it.

7) Never miss an occasion for a gift. A piece of jewelry tucked into an Easter Basket is also a great way to buy immunity for the future.

8 ) Ask for gift cards from your preferred photo store. "Oh that. I ordered that with the gift card you gave me last Christmas." (plus an extra $800, but who's counting)

9) Get yourself a "man cave" where you can stash all your toys. Preferably in a room she seldom goes into.

I have more, but these should be a good start. :)

Funny :)

About your third point. I do believe that in the modern age the one thing that have prevented more divorces and should probably be up for the Nobel Peace Prize (instead of these bs prizes that have been going on for a few years now...) is the dishwasher :) I believe that separate economies (unless the two of you make approximately the same amount) is the road to hell in marriage. But like some mentioned here earlier, I am also allowed to make photo purchases on photo gigs and, lectures and consulting, which makes me a happy camper
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
Canon A-1, 199A, FD: 24/2.8, 35/2.0, 100/2.8, Vivitar 400/5.6 Mamiya RZ67 pro ii, 50,110,180
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 05:13:44 PM »
I buy and sell gear... I find a good deal... use coupons, gift cards, etc. and then I sell it at a profit... usually a small profit, but you do it enough and it builds up over time.  Then I use that money to buy my gear and the wife STILL COMPLAINS... so sometimes you can't win... but you just buy and stop giving a damn about the objections.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »
That's what I'll be doing today - sneaking, not writing a thread, that is 8).

1) Always own up to buying one white lens. Once you've got one, they all look alike, so that gives you the freedom to own more.

2) When ordering from the Canon refurbished store, track the package progress and then change the delivery address to the nearest Kinkos/Fed Ex site. That way you can go and pick it up yourself without having to rush home to snag the attempted delivery notice tag off the door before someone finds it.

3) Separate checking accounts have prevented more divorces than any other innovation known to mankind.

4) You will never be able to sneak every purchase in, so build up some immunity. Do that by never, ever criticizing or questioning her when a box arrives from an online clothing, purse or shoe store. Smile. Complement her on her good taste and make a point of being pleased that she bought herself something nice. You are earning credits that you can cash in later.

5) Always include some low cost item in your purchases from B&H and Adorama – "Oh yeah, I ordered some batteries...a filter...a camera strap...etc. I don't know why they send that stuff in such a big box."

6) If you've got a big purchase planned, start the process early on. I'm going to start mentioning the new Tamron 150-600 zoom soon so that by the time Black Friday rolls around she'll be ready to tell me to just get it.

7) Never miss an occasion for a gift. A piece of jewelry tucked into an Easter Basket is also a great way to buy immunity for the future.

8 ) Ask for gift cards from your preferred photo store. "Oh that. I ordered that with the gift card you gave me last Christmas." (plus an extra $800, but who's counting)

9) Get yourself a "man cave" where you can stash all your toys. Preferably in a room she seldom goes into.

I have more, but these should be a good start. :)

Wow!  Well thought out list of what to do here....

As for me and my wife - so long as I don't go crazy, she's fine with me making equipment purchases.   I really don't go overboard to begin with.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »
OMG, still laughing!

In all honesty, my "significant other" (how that Mrsfotografie?  ;) ) can't really tell when or if I have a new lens on. I also don't think she really cares and I don't really have to sneak lenses in, but that is probably because she doesn't know how much some of the lenses cost :-) I actually don't have any crazy expensive lenses.

This has been fun. I'm still going to be bummed when I get the 100mm macro L and I have to give up on the 85mm 1.8 which I kind of like. I suppose I should be glad I diagnosed this issue before I got out of hand!
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2014, 09:35:23 PM »
OMG, still laughing!

In all honesty, my "significant other" (how that Mrsfotografie?  ;) ) can't really tell when or if I have a new lens on. I also don't think she really cares and I don't really have to sneak lenses in, but that is probably because she doesn't know how much some of the lenses cost :-) I actually don't have any crazy expensive lenses.

This has been fun. I'm still going to be bummed when I get the 100mm macro L and I have to give up on the 85mm 1.8 which I kind of like. I suppose I should be glad I diagnosed this issue before I got out of hand!

I had the 100L... and I sold it when I got the 70-200mm f/2.8L is mkii.  Then I bought the 85mm f/1.8 and I liked it... but I didn't like the 3 ft minimum focusing distance... so I bought the 100L again... and I sold the 85 f/1.8 because I wasn't using it at all... and I just bought an 85L f/1.2... so... I'm not sure I have a point... but the 100L is a lovely lens... and while I have a good deal of affection for the 85 f/1.8... you'll be quite happy with the sharpness, and the bokeh, and the the think depth of field...

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2014, 12:07:25 AM »
I had the 100L... and I sold it when I got the 70-200mm f/2.8L is mkii.  Then I bought the 85mm f/1.8 and I liked it... but I didn't like the 3 ft minimum focusing distance... so I bought the 100L again... and I sold the 85 f/1.8 because I wasn't using it at all... and I just bought an 85L f/1.2... so... I'm not sure I have a point... but the 100L is a lovely lens... and while I have a good deal of affection for the 85 f/1.8... you'll be quite happy with the sharpness, and the bokeh, and the the think depth of field...

LOL,
Someone tell me this isn't an illness! I think it is particularly worse for those of us who don't make money at this. Its for the love of the game. Some of us also like taking pictures  ;) I blame my dad. I must have been in elementary when I inherited his old Nikon FG after he got the FA. Its been non stop since. BTW, my daughters will have nothing to do with my old 20D. Just not interested  :-[
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »
OMG, still laughing!

My "significant other" knows that I enjoy my photography and the gear that goes with it, and she supports me in that because she knows it makes me happy. Besides that (and partly powered by my passion for photography) we go a lot of places (daytrips) and go on exotic holidays, which she enjoys very much (the exotic destinations are her passion). So it actually really works for us :)

Oh and I finally convinced here that her camera was in need of an update (she doesn't care at all about gear herself), so I bought her a Panasonic G5 with the 14-140 lens to replace her old FZ-50. She's very pleased with her new camera, and that gives me much joy :)
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2014, 01:43:34 AM »
I tried sneeking my 400 2.8 pass my wife - she spotted it!
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

dancook

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 05:14:36 AM »
My wife is a saver, and I am a spender..

I've wanted the 200mm f2 for a long time, but I didn't want to go into debt for it and well I never happened to have that much cash on me.

So in January I told my Wife I was going to save up for it, but also I would put money aside for house improvements each month too.

Worked out well, I now have my 200mm f2 and my Wife is happy :)

I feel like I'm slowing down with lens purchases now..
CZ 35mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8, 85mm 1.2 II, 135mm 2, 200mm 2

The 100L Macro would be nice, but I think some TC's and tubes will be next on my list.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2014, 05:14:36 AM »