August 28, 2014, 09:40:34 PM

Author Topic: Where is the M-3 with the dual pixel sensor!!!!  (Read 3565 times)

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
Re: Where is the M-3 with the dual pixel sensor!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »
Take your pick of currently available systems from Fujifilm, Sony, Olympus, Canon or Nikon. Loads of MILCs to choose from. Why wait for some mythical M3 that will prob never see a US or Europe release?

The current gear available today is more than good enough. The only limitation is the photographer.

In my opinion your last sentences are mostly true.

I love my EOS M because it has two real advantages:
  - small and lightweight
  - standard zoom is much better than the equivalent standard zoom for DSLRs

O.k., manual mode is awkward in terms of control, an EVF would be very helpful.

But: Give that camera
  - a control wheel near the shutter release button (e.g. for exp time) and
  - a second control wheel concentrically to the lens mount (e.g. for aperture) (like S95 etc.) and
  - an ISO wheel +
  - a tiny LCD which shows just aperture, exp time, ISO and remaining shots/minutes.
  - a larger battery (with it's compartment acting as substantial hand grip)
and that camera is a winner for a lot of people - for these who enjoy photographic tools and are willing to pay e.g. 1000 $/€ for such a body. And it might be a winner for Canon: Advertising for a series of feature oriented EOS M like bodies (larger display, Wifi, 2nd display for selfies, etc.)

For me EOS M has replaced the S95 successfully as "always with me"-camera with extended capabilities and much better image quality especially at ISO bigger/equal than 400 ASA.

Me too. I take it places I wouldn't normally take my DSLR. Even with just the 22mm f/2 it's very versatile but the fact that you can stick all kinds of lenses on it via an adaptor makes it even more fun!

I kind of see it's shortcomings as a challenge. I say to myself "hey I wonder if I can do such and such with only my EOS M". I've tried off camera flash with it, a bit of macro, long exposures, events, holidays ... the list goes on. Each time it performs better than I expected it would. As a second camera for Canon shooters it rocks!

Regarding ISO - you can change the trash can button (down press) to bring up the ISO menu and use the wheel to change it.

I wish you could remap the movie rec. button though, that one seems like it should have had a dual purpose. I'm thinking back button focus would have been sweet!
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 12:47:44 PM »

nads

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 06:18:25 PM »
Take your pick of currently available systems from Fujifilm, Sony, Olympus, Canon or Nikon. Loads of MILCs to choose from. Why wait for some mythical M3 that will prob never see a US or Europe release?

The current gear available today is more than good enough. The only limitation is the photographer.

I'm not waiting for the M3... I've got the M and happily use it.    There are tradeoffs to every platform and contrary to popular opinion, there are key befits of the M that must be given up to move to the other platforms.

Fuji looks great... APS-C, great design... wait, is that a 23mm prime and 10-24 zoom for $1900?   That's not a trade off... thats the price of a trade in car!   

Olympus looks great... oh wait, another ultrawide zoom for 2 times what it cost me to bring in the 11-22 from another county?   Great!    Oh and superfast AF and 8fps on a $700 body... except the keeper rate sucks so forget that.

Will there be a M3?  Hopefully yes.   If it happens to bring in wifi, focus peaking and a handful of other electronic / processor based improvements that are currently available on the other platforms then there will be less to gain by moving away from the M.   

What I absolutely do not expect to see are the micro 4/3 or Fuji platforms gaining the  benefits of reasonably priced optics with a decent sized sensor.   

Busted Knuckles

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 07:48:12 AM »
I am good with most of the trade-offs to the smaller form factor.  I just want the current sensor and dual pixel focusing and related features.  Definetly a party/backup camera for me.

Not to hijack my own thread... but the mirror has been around for a long time......   I am sure "we" will do bettet soon, afterall this is not genetic manipulation, it is bits of hardware and software. 

Lt Colonel

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »
So, given all the rumors and speculation, is the M a dead-on-the-vine product in the US for Canon?
6D,7D,1DMKIII,EOSM

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 08:27:21 AM »
Where is the M-3 with the dual pixel sensor?   It is not a matter of "Where" but of "When"  Your question is a little early in the time-space continuum...

Now, where is my 5DMkIV?  ;D ;D ;D

bobw

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »
For me the "when" is "too late".

I have been considering migrating from my SLR to a mirrorless camera. I've just walked too many miles carrying a heavy bag and want something smaller and lighter.

Well one of my SLR's lenses just died so it's decision time. Put more money into the old system or switch now to something else.

I've decided to switch. I'm not sure which camera yet but it won't be the M. Canon just lost my business.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »
I'm not waiting for the M3... I've got the M and happily use it.    There are tradeoffs to every platform and contrary to popular opinion, there are key befits of the M that must be given up to move to the other platforms.

Fuji looks great... APS-C, great design... wait, is that a 23mm prime and 10-24 zoom for $1900?   That's not a trade off... thats the price of a trade in car!   
I'm with you there. I just picked up a M kit (Body, 18-55, 90ex) for $350 CDN from Amazon.ca. The 22mm pancake is on the way from HK. I was looking seriously at the Fuji X-series lineup and could not justify the cash for a vacation camera. I have my 5D3 and a bunch of lenses and am getting tired lugging them around. The low cost of entry for the current M system tipped the scale for me. Is it perfect, not even close but it smokes my S90 for features and IQ so it will get some airplay for those situations I want to travel light.

I am looking forward to see what Canon does with the rumoured M3 too!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 11:02:19 AM »
There is a Best Buy store in NYC by my office. As I work in developing consumer products, I like to pop in there from time to time to do market research. The Canon M system never appeared in that store! How can a new system like that ever get off the ground if it isn't supported by a big box store like Best Buy?

The camera section continues to get smaller as their tablet section continues to grow.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

lensgrabber

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 09:12:44 PM »

Whenever the EOS-M3 comes out I'm buying it.  Period. Even if I have to import it.  Yes the M is slow as Christmas for action shots but for holiday carry and pocket-ability (gotta love that 22 pancake) it's excellent.  Some day I'll import the 11-22mm.  I am hoping Canon is just regrouping their strategy plan for the US market and didn't dump on us completely.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 11:05:17 PM »
I think with the recent 55-200 EF-M announcement the M has some legs. Hopefully they release a nice M3 for Photokina and open up the floodgates for your US market.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 11:52:41 PM »
I think with the recent 55-200 EF-M announcement the M has some legs. Hopefully they release a nice M3 for Photokina and open up the floodgates for your US market.

+1.  I bought into the M system, and I agree that the 55-200 shows that Canon thinks the M system has long-term viability.  I got it originally to replace a P&S, and have added the 18-55 and the 11-22 (a Canadian order placed from the US).  I don't think I'll get the 55-200 for 420.  If it goes on sale, then maybe...  The M has replaced our old HD camcorder.  Better AF would be nice, but it's OK for my family's uses for now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2014, 11:52:41 PM »