October 26, 2014, 03:30:39 AM

Author Topic: New PowerShot & EOS Cameras to Offer DOF Control?  (Read 5434 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: New PowerShot & EOS Cameras to Offer DOF Control?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 01:03:33 PM »
If some feature like this appears on entry level cameras, it has the potential to educate people on DOF.

We all win when we can easily talk with everyone about DOF.

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 01:03:33 PM »

dgbrownnt

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »
I see two options:

1.  A pattern of dual pixels across the sensor (in addition to the ones for focusing?) which can take a deep depth of field and simulate a shallow one.  While Canon has the technology for this (and this is definitely the cooler of the options), it feels too techie for them to use in entry-level gear (where most whiz-bang features tend to be software).

2. Focus stacking with lots of fps.  This seems more likely to me, especially if they market this as a macro option (since macro shots still can get kinda shallow DoF on a compact).  Also, it's mostly a matter of software (provided there's processing power for it), which is more consistent with consumer products.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »
This makes me confused and that makes me cranky.

Don't my existing DSLR's have this already? Don't we call it Av?

What if you missed your subject in Av mode @ big apertures?
;D I never miss! How absurd!

Besides, that one-eye-in-focus look is, um, artsy!  ::)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
I know the consensus is that this wouldn't be true "Lightfield" technology. But, is there some reason to say that?

Just curious. It seems like sooner or later some manufacturer will incorporate the technology into DSLRs. Or is there some basic issue with the technology that would make that impossible?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »

No the Lytro thing has nothing to do with Av mode at all. It's almost more like capturing a hologram almost in a way.

But it's a tricky thing to pull off while maintaining a lot of MP and so on, so I'm kinda of surprised to hear about them managing to go there already with a DSLR.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »
sounds like a stupid art filter.

to at least calculate good looking DOF in post you need a depth map.
and it takes some time on a average desktop pc (like a i7 2600K) to calculate the DOF from a depth map.

i have to do it every day, for videos and stills.
i render out images and a special z-buffer image for the depth information.
from that depth map (a grayscale image that show distance information in shades of grey) i can then calculate and move the focus point in PS, after effects or nuke to my liking.

even the good rosenman DOF plugin or the lenscare DOF plugin for photoshop need a lot of time/processing power and still the results are often not 100% perfect (antialiasing issues because of differences in depth map and image informations).

fast processing in camera for JPG`s .... i don´t see how a rebel camera can do it so that the quality would satisfy me.

But that is the whole point here it is not just shooting something at like f/36 and then apply art filters after. It's capturing the depth field itself when you shoot.

But I find it hard to believe Canon could have something like this working at the quality we expect from a DSLR for a DSLR. I tend to think this rumor is made up or the person sending it in radically misinterpreted something he overheard and maybe it's just bringing back the old EOS DOF click click shoot thing or something?? The latter would have nothing to do with the Lytro stuff at all.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 02:07:20 PM »
Sounds to me like a mode in which the camera determines the subject near and far distance and sets aperture to ensure all subjects are in focus.

take for example a shot of a group of people.  face detection could be used to determine the distance to the subject closest to the camera and the suject farthest from the camera, then select the aperture that mathmatically satisfies the DOF with that lens.

Sounds like a cool feature for consumer level cameras or even for shooting video if it was dynamic enough to adapt to the changing environment in real time.

My original EOS650 had that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 02:07:20 PM »

jfn_south

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »
Canon will be coming out with the new 'Canon (dont) Think' camera soon I heard. You just imagine a photo and it appears on your camera, it's pretty rad.

No need to do ANYTHING! Now THAT'S PHOTOGRAPHY!

Gorku

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 03:07:01 PM »
This is why I keep coming back to Canon Rumors  :D

A guy who nobody knows who is, overheard something that nobody is certain of what was and now a lot of people is discussing something that nobody really knows what is!

AudioGlenn

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »

+1
5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Sounds to me like a mode in which the camera determines the subject near and far distance and sets aperture to ensure all subjects are in focus.

take for example a shot of a group of people.  face detection could be used to determine the distance to the subject closest to the camera and the suject farthest from the camera, then select the aperture that mathmatically satisfies the DOF with that lens.

Sounds like a cool feature for consumer level cameras or even for shooting video if it was dynamic enough to adapt to the changing environment in real time.

My original EOS650 had that.

My old 500D still has it  ;D

Lightmaster

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2014, 06:24:45 PM »
sounds like a stupid art filter.

to at least calculate good looking DOF in post you need a depth map.
and it takes some time on a average desktop pc (like a i7 2600K) to calculate the DOF from a depth map.

i have to do it every day, for videos and stills.
i render out images and a special z-buffer image for the depth information.
from that depth map (a grayscale image that show distance information in shades of grey) i can then calculate and move the focus point in PS, after effects or nuke to my liking.

even the good rosenman DOF plugin or the lenscare DOF plugin for photoshop need a lot of time/processing power and still the results are often not 100% perfect (antialiasing issues because of differences in depth map and image informations).

fast processing in camera for JPG`s .... i don´t see how a rebel camera can do it so that the quality would satisfy me.

But that is the whole point here it is not just shooting something at like f/36 and then apply art filters after. It's capturing the depth field itself when you shoot.

i thought the general perception is that it could be anything?   ;D

but yes.... if it´s done right (and that is what i doubt) then it´s not just a stupid art filter.

anthonyd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2014, 09:20:55 PM »
Canon will be coming out with the new 'Canon (dont) Think' camera soon I heard. You just imagine a photo and it appears on your camera, it's pretty rad.

No need to do ANYTHING! Now THAT'S PHOTOGRAPHY!

I get the sarcasm in your post, don't get me wrong, but I couldn't resist pointing out that imagining an awesome picture is quite often more than 50% of the hard work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2014, 09:20:55 PM »

Canihaspicture

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »
If this rumor is true then I don't expect it to be some filter garbage... Canon DSLRs already use microlenses. Slap a high pixel density sensor in there and you're practically done with a lightfield camera, the rest is processing.

Even just a minor fix for the oh crap it focused on the nose instead of the eye problem.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 05:58:53 AM »

Absolutely. Canon people may be slow but they are not idiots. If they bringing something on, they must have reasons.

I feel that Canon has enough misses to make a credible challenge to your idiot claim.  :p

Idiot claim? Nice...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2014, 05:58:53 AM »