December 19, 2014, 06:15:52 AM

Author Topic: Prime v Zoom Bokeh  (Read 3528 times)

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: Prime v Zoom Bokeh
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 07:40:16 AM »
Maybe...but it's also nice to be able to actually see the true DoF through the VF, for compositional reasons.

Agreed, the greatest benefit of the 's' screen is real dof. I find the difference in ability to nail manual focus only marginally better than the standard screen.

I stick to what I said; maybe Canon underestimated the desire from 5D owners to see real dof, or maybe that desire isn't actually there across the broad user base, or maybe it was to add a 'crippling' differential to the 1Dx.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 07:40:16 AM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »
Maybe...but it's also nice to be able to actually see the true DoF through the VF, for compositional reasons.

Agreed, the greatest benefit of the 's' screen is real dof. I find the difference in ability to nail manual focus only marginally better than the standard screen.

I stick to what I said; maybe Canon underestimated the desire from 5D owners to see real dof, or maybe that desire isn't actually there across the broad user base, or maybe it was to add a 'crippling' differential to the 1Dx.
I MISS the EF-S screen in my 5DII (it's the only thing I dislike about the 5DIII) very much and unfortunately they don't make a super precision matte screen for the 1D X, either.  Just split-prisms and grids :(  My slowest lens is the 180L 3.5, so a "dim" viewfinder" doesn't bother me one bit.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 12:06:51 PM »
I MISS the EF-S screen in my 5DII (it's the only thing I dislike about the 5DIII) very much and unfortunately they don't make a super precision matte screen for the 1D X, either.  Just split-prisms and grids :(  My slowest lens is the 180L 3.5, so a "dim" viewfinder" doesn't bother me one bit.

Sure they do - the Ec-S screen is physically compatible with the 1D X.  The only 'problem' is that most focus screens affect the metering (the Ec-S does), and Canon didn't write support for it into the 1D X firmware (although there's no reason they can't - they just chose not to).  Since there's no focusing aid (split-prism, etc.) spot metering won't be specifically affected, and effects on metering should be global.  The degree of effect will change with the max aperture of the lens, e.g. if you shoot in an autoexposure mode, an f/1.2 lens will result in more underexposure than an f/2 lens.  Still, you should be able to work out the effects, and adjust your M-mode settings or apply EC (or AE microadjustment if one stop is enough compensation) to give a proper metered exposure (although the meter reading will still show as off) with the Ec-S installed.  Note that I haven't done the above, but for the price of an Ec-S and a little time, maybe you will...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 12:10:40 PM »
Note that I haven't done the above, but for the price of an Ec-S and a little time, maybe you will...
Hmm, I had forgotten about that one, and maybe I'll give it a try one of these days.  Thanks.

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »
Note that I haven't done the above, but for the price of an Ec-S and a little time, maybe you will...
Hmm, I had forgotten about that one, and maybe I'll give it a try one of these days.  Thanks.

Let us know how you find the outcome.
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »