October 21, 2014, 03:58:27 PM

Author Topic: 20D strange shot limit?  (Read 4151 times)

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
Re: 20D strange shot limit?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 06:59:11 AM »
Hi Mt Spokane.
I had a play last night, set the power off to off, also set 1 second interval, got to 75 shots and pause? Tried camera reset, only change I made from default was to turn power off again, tried 1 second increments through to 6 seconds, and it seems from 1 through 4 seconds to pause, then for 5 and 6 second intervals and most likely on up there is no pause, I left it to run a 99 shot sequence and had 99 shots on the card. I did wonder if it was the folder creation point that paused, but even over several pause cycles, not one was on a folder boundary, sometimes ten shots before, or after never at the new folder point.
I'm convinced that it s not a buffer issue as the write led is not flashing at all during he pause, and the fact it got 75 shots at 1sec interval before pausing.
Edit this would put the time at about the same as before, 25 shots at 3 seconds. end edit.
My conclusion is that the Phottix remote is the issue, I am going to check but I think that I have used it successfully on my 40D at this interval, so perhaps it is just not fully compatible with the 20D?

The 20D does seem to me to be a very capable camera, I have used it a lot for documenting my work on classic cars, it seems to produce good images even with the on camera flash upside down under cars where a separate flash is impractical!

I have a 4Gb Hitachi microdrive, I bought it on my first trip to the USA, it was considerably cheaper than a smaller CF card, can't remember what size the CF was, 2Gb I think but as I wanted the capacity and the speed was adequate for my 300D on full speed it was a no brainer!

What lenses was it you got with the camera, hopefully 2 you want or need!
Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers Graham.

I pulled out the 20D today, and looked at the card in the camera, it was a old Hitachi 6GB Type II Microdrive.  Talk about old.

I had a no name (Literally) 4GB card laying around, so after charging the battery, cleaning the sensor and a general checkup, as well as clearing all the settings, and then setting it to raw, I gave it a try.

I hooked up my Canon TC-80N3 and shot off about 40 images at ISO 400, 1/50 sec in manual mode with manual focus and 3 sec intervals.  I could see it was taking about 2 seconds for the light to go out, and then, I realized it was in raw, so the files were larger.

Then I switched to large jpeg, and shot another 40 in a row with no issue.

I then put a faster spare Sandisk 16 GB 60mb/sec card in and shot off 50 images at 1/sec with no delays. 

Finally, I put the old generic card back in and shot off 50 images on one sec intervals.  The write light just barely flickered between shots, but it was obvious that it could keep going forever that way with a slow card.

Its somewhat a puzzle as to why your camera is stopping, but I would clear it back to the original settings and try that.  There are some settings that could cause issues, so its best to test it with the default settings.

I like the old camera, it works well.  The small LCD is really the only drawback.  The sensor does have a few white pixels, but that's pretty normal for a old sensor, and NR in Lightroom removes them in any event.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:17:49 AM by Valvebounce »
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 06:59:11 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »

Cheers Graham.

I bought the camera at a estate sale because it looked good, and I tried it out.  It cost me $125 with the standard 18-55mm and the 75-300mm USM lenses.  It also had a nice case, and a nice Lowe Pro lens case for the 75-300 along with a Cokin CPL.  The owner had left thousands of 35mm slides, presumably taken with the AE-1 that was also at the sale.  I was tempted to buy them.  After reviewing the photos on the card, I decided that the owner was not really into photography, and the slides would be mostly a waste.  He had documented his rebuild of a old junk Volkswagen Bug.  It was total junk to begin with, and patched up junk at the end, the frame had so many welded patches on it to cover up rusted holes that it looked like a patchwork quilt.  He did grind them and cover them up so they were not easily visible.

I have the camera + 18-55 and the 75-300mm USM listed on craigslist already.  I may keep the Canon branded case, and for sure I'll keep the lens case.

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 04:36:16 PM »
Hi Mt Spokane.
I have welded up frames, but you don't cover holes, you cut them out a decent size, cut a plate of the correct gauge material slightly smaller than he hole, weld it in flush and grind the welds down and paint it, gone no trace, repaired properly the only difference in strength compared to the factory new condition is the slightly weaker heat affected zone, and if done well the heat will have been minimal.

My apologies, I thought you got the kit for stuff you wanted, I see a little speculate to accumulate happening! ;D
I hope you got a good enough bargain at $125 to sell it for a good profit and for the buyer to feel they got a good deal, happiness all round.

Cheers Graham.

the frame had so many welded patches on it to cover up rusted holes that it looked like a patchwork quilt.  He did grind them and cover them up so they were not easily visible.

I have the camera + 18-55 and the 75-300mm USM listed on craigslist already.  I may keep the Canon branded case, and for sure I'll keep the lens case.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 05:34:33 PM »
Hi Mt Spokane.
I had a play last night, set the power off to off, also set 1 second interval, got to 75 shots and pause? Tried camera reset, only change I made from default was to turn power off again, tried 1 second increments through to 6 seconds, and it seems from 1 through 4 seconds to pause, then for 5 and 6 second intervals and most likely on up there is no pause, I left it to run a 99 shot sequence and had 99 shots on the card. I did wonder if it was the folder creation point that paused, but even over several pause cycles, not one was on a folder boundary, sometimes ten shots before, or after never at the new folder point.
I'm convinced that it s not a buffer issue as the write led is not flashing at all during he pause, and the fact it got 75 shots at 1sec interval before pausing.
Edit this would put the time at about the same as before, 25 shots at 3 seconds. end edit.
My conclusion is that the Phottix remote is the issue, I am going to check but I think that I have used it successfully on my 40D at this interval, so perhaps it is just not fully compatible with the 20D?

The 20D does seem to me to be a very capable camera, I have used it a lot for documenting my work on classic cars, it seems to produce good images even with the on camera flash upside down under cars where a separate flash is impractical!

I have a 4Gb Hitachi microdrive, I bought it on my first trip to the USA, it was considerably cheaper than a smaller CF card, can't remember what size the CF was, 2Gb I think but as I wanted the capacity and the speed was adequate for my 300D on full speed it was a no brainer!

Cheers Graham.

I pulled out the 20D today, and looked at the card in the camera, it was a old Hitachi 6GB Type II Microdrive.  Talk about old.

I had a no name (Literally) 4GB card laying around, so after charging the battery, cleaning the sensor and a general checkup, as well as clearing all the settings, and then setting it to raw, I gave it a try.

I hooked up my Canon TC-80N3 and shot off about 40 images at ISO 400, 1/50 sec in manual mode with manual focus and 3 sec intervals.  I could see it was taking about 2 seconds for the light to go out, and then, I realized it was in raw, so the files were larger.

Then I switched to large jpeg, and shot another 40 in a row with no issue.

I then put a faster spare Sandisk 16 GB 60mb/sec card in and shot off 50 images at 1/sec with no delays. 

Finally, I put the old generic card back in and shot off 50 images on one sec intervals.  The write light just barely flickered between shots, but it was obvious that it could keep going forever that way with a slow card.

Its somewhat a puzzle as to why your camera is stopping, but I would clear it back to the original settings and try that.  There are some settings that could cause issues, so its best to test it with the default settings.

I like the old camera, it works well.  The small LCD is really the only drawback.  The sensor does have a few white pixels, but that's pretty normal for a old sensor, and NR in Lightroom removes them in any event.

I am selling my old DSLR's in preparation for getting something new.  I just got home from going out to Mothers day brunch.  I stopped at Huppins (www.onecall.com) and looked at the G1 X MK II, we have the MK I.  I might get one when I sell my 40D, 20D, and Nikon D300s.  My Nikon 200-400mm f/4 VR was mailed off Friday, so I don't need the D300s any longer.  The Nikon was another deal that was selling for too little, so I bought a camera to use playing with it for 8 months, and then sold it for a lot more than I paid.  That's the only way I get to play with high end lenses, is to buy them for prices that will let me get my money back after playing with them.  I've owned most of the Canon DSLR's, lenses, and a fair number of Nikon ones as well.  Even my new Nikon D800 that I bought from a local camera store sold for a few hundred dollars over new price, because they were short in supply, but our local store could get them while the big stores were sold out.

pablo

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 03:32:01 AM »
Sorry to resurrect a slightly older thread, but I have had issues too, with timelapse & shutter synching.

I've been doing timelapse for a few years, I used to use my regular bodies, but realised quite quickly that this would kill the shutter a lot earlier than normal use, so why trash a lightly used 7d or T3i, when I could pick up a camera with perfectly adequate resolution that is otherwise 'obselete' for next to nothing and trash that instead.

So, I  bought a 10d.

Don't buy a 10d for timelapse.  Tricky to find uwa or even wa lenses at a modest price as there is no ef-s mount.
Also the cameras buffer is slow, and is packed solid after half a dozen shots, and that was with a 2gb Sandisk Extreme iii, which is close to, if nothe best performing card for the 10d. As the camera I bought was mint condition, I reckon the counter hadn't been reset and it had just over 4'000 clicks on it.  I felt kinda bad about sentancing such a nice camera to the photographic equivalent of Stick Car racing, so I'm actually glad it wasn't that suited anyway.

My girlfriend wants to learn photography, so she now has a near mint 10d to learn on.

Anyway, I digress, so I got a 20d.

On paper, ideal.  Much better depth and buffer, and plays nice with bigger and faster cards (the 10d was crippled by its internal buffer, thus the 20d can make much more productive use of faster cards, this time a 4gb 30mb/s Extreme iii)

So i've now done a few tests and find a new, frustrating and odd issue...

I can't get the cam to synch with the remote (far eastern clone) at anything less than 4s intervals.

A bugger, as it worked fine with my 7d...

Here are my settings...

ISO 100 (usually)

Shutter .8s (in the past this was my ideal, just before NR darkframe, and is close to 180 rule at 2s i tervals)

I have tried at a faster shutter, to no avail.

Lenses: Samyang 35mm f1.4 (no chip) Lensbaby composer (no chip)

Shooting jpeg, single frame advance

I just cannot get the camera / remote combo to give me anything quicker than 15 fpm.

I could work with this, but for the 180 effect on exposure duration, 2s in daylight just melts people into a grey blur..
if I go faster, then the motion just isn't as fluid as I would wish.

The point is that I should be able to, and that the remote (which plays nice with my 7d) doesn't work properly with the 20d.

I may have to try a canon genuine timer instead....

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »
Hi Pablo.
Just out of interest which far eastern clone is it you are using? Mine is a Phottix Nikos wired timer remote. I would like to find someone with a genuine Canon timer remote I could borrow, or someone with 20D and a genuine Canon timer remote willing to spend 30 minutes to confirm that the genuine remote is not suffering the same limitations.
I was hoping ML or DSLR Controller would work with 20D as both of those support what we are trying to achieve but no luck there either.  :'(

Cheers Graham.

Sorry to resurrect a slightly older thread, but I have had issues too, with timelapse & shutter synching.

I've been doing timelapse for a few years, I used to use my regular bodies, but realised quite quickly that this would kill the shutter a lot earlier than normal use, so why trash a lightly used 7d or T3i, when I could pick up a camera with perfectly adequate resolution that is otherwise 'obselete' for next to nothing and trash that instead.

So, I  bought a 10d.

Don't buy a 10d for timelapse.  Tricky to find uwa or even wa lenses at a modest price as there is no ef-s mount.
Also the cameras buffer is slow, and is packed solid after half a dozen shots, and that was with a 2gb Sandisk Extreme iii, which is close to, if nothe best performing card for the 10d. As the camera I bought was mint condition, I reckon the counter hadn't been reset and it had just over 4'000 clicks on it.  I felt kinda bad about sentancing such a nice camera to the photographic equivalent of Stick Car racing, so I'm actually glad it wasn't that suited anyway.

My girlfriend wants to learn photography, so she now has a near mint 10d to learn on.

Anyway, I digress, so I got a 20d.

On paper, ideal.  Much better depth and buffer, and plays nice with bigger and faster cards (the 10d was crippled by its internal buffer, thus the 20d can make much more productive use of faster cards, this time a 4gb 30mb/s Extreme iii)

So i've now done a few tests and find a new, frustrating and odd issue...

I can't get the cam to synch with the remote (far eastern clone) at anything less than 4s intervals.

A bugger, as it worked fine with my 7d...

Here are my settings...

ISO 100 (usually)

Shutter .8s (in the past this was my ideal, just before NR darkframe, and is close to 180 rule at 2s i tervals)

I have tried at a faster shutter, to no avail.

Lenses: Samyang 35mm f1.4 (no chip) Lensbaby composer (no chip)

Shooting jpeg, single frame advance

I just cannot get the camera / remote combo to give me anything quicker than 15 fpm.

I could work with this, but for the 180 effect on exposure duration, 2s in daylight just melts people into a grey blur..
if I go faster, then the motion just isn't as fluid as I would wish.

The point is that I should be able to, and that the remote (which plays nice with my 7d) doesn't work properly with the 20d.

I may have to try a canon genuine timer instead....

pablo

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 06:57:30 AM »
Hi Pablo.
Just out of interest which far eastern clone is it you are using? Mine is a Phottix Nikos wired timer remote. I would like to find someone with a genuine Canon timer remote I could borrow, or someone with 20D and a genuine Canon timer remote willing to spend 30 minutes to confirm that the genuine remote is not suffering the same limitations.
I was hoping ML or DSLR Controller would work with 20D as both of those support what we are trying to achieve but no luck there either.  :'(

Cheers Graham.

Hi Graham

My timer isn't branded but has model number eza-c3, Racking my brains I think it may have been called 'shoot'

Anyway, I found a solution to my problem at least.

By keeping the cam in m mode, but turning the shutter to bulb, I can now get 1s exposures at 2s intervals, obviously with long exposure nr (darkframe) switched off in custom functions.

Hope this may be of some use to you.

Pablo

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 06:57:30 AM »

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 09:35:19 AM »
Hi Pablo.
I was in full manual, I'm a bit confused by this statement "By keeping the cam in m mode, but turning the shutter to bulb" did you mean set the remote to bulb? I will try that although I'm looking for short shutter times, 1/500th or thereabouts, I'm not sure bulb will cope with that!

Cheers Graham

pablo

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »
Hi Pablo.
I was in full manual, I'm a bit confused by this statement "By keeping the cam in m mode, but turning the shutter to bulb" did you mean set the remote to bulb? I will try that although I'm looking for short shutter times, 1/500th or thereabouts, I'm not sure bulb will cope with that!

Cheers Graham

Hi,

No I mean set the cameras shutter to bulb, effectively ceding the exposure duration control to the intervalometer, I think the problem comes in as a conflict between the cameras electronic timer and the pulses from the remote...

when I set the shutter speed on the camera, whether it was 1/500th or 1/s the remote and camera would only work sell together at intervals longer than 4s..

When the only pulses come from the remote (by setting exposure duration at 1s say) the operation is fine.

For my application of timelapse this is fine.  I don't kbow how you would achieve fast shutters with these cheapie timers....  sorry

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »