December 21, 2014, 11:22:32 PM

Author Topic: Let's confess our disgusting perversions  (Read 5710 times)

JohanCruyff

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Let's confess our disgusting perversions
« on: May 06, 2014, 03:02:18 AM »
I'll start confessing mines.

In spite of the huge efforts made by the Research And Development Departments of most companies belonging to the Photographic Industry, aiming to offer us better products,

1) First of all, I don't dislike lens flare. I must be a true fetishist in this field, because I like the "flare effect" seen in digital cartoon movies (e.g. Pixar's "Up").
2) I don't dislike vignetting. I could be defined a moderate pervert with respect to vignetting, because I don't add it deliberately to pictures.
3) I don't dislike a reasonable amount of noise in pictures. Again, I don't add it where there's no OOC noise and I don't underexpose my pictures in order to get the maximum possible noise, so I guess my therapy shouldn't be so extreme.

And what about you, my fellow friends from CanonRumors? Are you shameless enough to confess that sometimes you like something that's not technically perfect?

Italian amateur. Gear: i) 5d Classic, 17-40 F/4 L, 24-105mm F/4 IS L, 100mm F/2.8 IS L, 70-200 F/4 IS L. & EOS M, 22 F/2, 18-55 + Mount Adapter, 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM
ii) Wife: Canon G12
iii) First Daughter: Canon 1100D, 18-55 IS iv) Son: Canon A1000IS v) Second Daughter: Nikon L21

canon rumors FORUM

Let's confess our disgusting perversions
« on: May 06, 2014, 03:02:18 AM »

Sporgon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: Let's confess our disgusting perversions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 04:14:44 AM »
Art, including photography, has never been defined by technical perfection. Art worth viewing is always a manipulation of reality, whether by great or small amounts.

Skilful exploitation in the limitations of the medium often add to a picture. Are 'Casablanca' or 'The Adventures of Robin Hood' less of a movie to watch than say 'Avatar' ? It's the same with still photography, that's why the odd Missionary who visits CR to save us from our dark Canon ways and embrace the holy light of Exmor are so annoying.

I see you are using the original 5D. That camera tends to be a little more 'abrupt' and 'harsh' in it's tonal changes, but that can be used to create a signature picture that is not necessarily worse than the latest tech sensors.

I'm attaching a picture where I decided to leave the lens flare in and darkened the shadows on the cliffs. I think the picture is better for it. 

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:22:30 PM »

1)  lens flare.
2) vignetting.
3)  noise in pictures.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with any of these... as long as they are done deliberately.  I may personally not like one or more of these, but if the photographer intentionally included these in their photograph, I can respect that.  That is artistic expression.

What is important is not accidently including any of these in the photograph.  That's not artistic expression, that's just poor technique.  A huge difference.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:27:51 PM »
I must confess some unforgivable perversion:
I also appreciate lens flare, since it appears in the place I chose.
I like to imitate film fuji, and add granulation PP (only in black and white photos).
I have the chutzpah to do "burn" and "dodge" tool to let the sky and clouds the way I want them to be.
I have preguça when changing lenses in the field, and do an entire session with a single lens I picked earlier in the day.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 09:28:25 PM »
Watch this video of the Brazilian band Skank. It was made with vintage lenses, specifically chosen to create flare and colorful halos. Also appears an amazing triangular bokeh, which makes me assume that the lens had only three blades diaphragm.

http://youtu.be/PL53fH-x0rw

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 03:40:48 AM »
I log on to Mr. Rockwell site at least twice a month.

I like noise free images to begin with. I may add noise later but I prefer noiseless images at 3200

I like fat heavy lenses on my 1dc.

I like small lenses on my Fuji

I tend to crush blacks more than others.

I spend too much time on CR

I sell most of my equipment when I know for sure a new version is being launched.

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »
1. I've shot my rebel at ISO 1600 and find it's usually fine, 3200 isn't that bad either

2. I spend too much time on CR - most of it learning

3. I don't mind moderate image noise - it can give a picture character

4. I'm an equipment horder.  Not sure why I still have some of the lenses I do (70-300IS USM, 18-55IS).

5. Of all of the photography genre's I've tried - I like sports the best

6. I'm working on flash photography because I used to run from it like the plague

7. I terrorize my family as I practice flash/portrait photography

8. I enjoy it when my rebel photographs are better than my better equipped friends' photographs (which is becoming the norm thanks to this site and the support from this community)

9. I can window shop on the BH and Adorama websites for hours and after convincing myself on a purchase, can talk myself out of it.  It's a vicious cycle.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:59:58 PM by wsmith96 »
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »

NancyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 10:47:54 AM »
For many shots, I LIKE the monster spherical aberration of my vintage AIS Nikkor 50mm f/1.2. I have been tempted by the neo-Petzval lenses recently released. I am not 100% Imagist and I am not 100% f/64-ist - it is fun to try both approaches.

Policar

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 11:19:35 AM »
I'll start confessing mines.

In spite of the huge efforts made by the Research And Development Departments of most companies belonging to the Photographic Industry, aiming to offer us better products,

1) First of all, I don't dislike lens flare. I must be a true fetishist in this field, because I like the "flare effect" seen in digital cartoon movies (e.g. Pixar's "Up").
2) I don't dislike vignetting. I could be defined a moderate pervert with respect to vignetting, because I don't add it deliberately to pictures.
3) I don't dislike a reasonable amount of noise in pictures. Again, I don't add it where there's no OOC noise and I don't underexpose my pictures in order to get the maximum possible noise, so I guess my therapy shouldn't be so extreme.

And what about you, my fellow friends from CanonRumors? Are you shameless enough to confess that sometimes you like something that's not technically perfect?

I heard JJ Abrams likes lens flares.... Read the Kaminski document to get an idea of someone who loves weird grain (shooting 800T stock outdoors instead of 50D, for instance) and of course he destroyed Panavision's lenses and set the gate weave off to get the Saving Private Ryan look. I forget who it was that baked film stock in the oven.

Lots of large format shooters use old lenses for a soft look. Technical perfection has its place but is very boring. The shift from a focus on "look" (the old 135mm f2 AIS Nikon is optically poor but has amazing bokeh) to a focus on how well something performs on charts belies a trend in photography... No one cares about composition/subject/art anymore and now we are just getting people trying to shoot banal stuff with sharp corners... so boring.

Khufu

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Drew K Forrest Art & Photography FB
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 12:13:24 PM »
ooh, this is fun, some great replies here! I'll type and see what comes to mind ;)

1) Even if money were no object, my film camera of choice is an EOS 300X... which I've painted with a reubbery, black paint and LOVE! (great AF, works with all my EF lenses, modern features; bracketing, metering, multi-exposures etc)
2) I shoot film from "Poundland" and hoard it, scared that they'll one day run out! (AGFA ISO 200 stuff, very vivid colours! @ £1 for 36 Exposures)
3) The best place I've found for prints in England and Scotland is an ASDA Store (Walmart) that's just down the road - this particular store has monstrous AGFA printers, like small military tanks - therefore awesome, right?!
4) I LOVE the tiny viewfinder on my 100D/SL1 - I feel it prompts me to consider the "gestalt", the composition from a thumbnail like perspective, not unlike a good graphic designer prepping stamp-sized compositions.
5) I sometimes DISLIKE the larger viewfinder of my 5D3, wishing I could zoom out for the above stated "gestaltness" ;)
6) I feel I've had GREAT success with ND Grad filters that cost peanuts offa' eBay - They're actually Grey but I love the results, both with the AGFA film and digital, with the likes of the underrated Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4
7) I bought a 70D and kept it in mint condition, now to sell on as new, knowing it's unnecessary and I'm happier shooting my 5D3 and just having a choice of a 2x Extender (with 5D3 ISO capabilities) and a 100D/SL1 in my bag, as like a high-pixel-density pre-cropped digital back, if I need it... eff-yoo, unnecessary 70D!
8) I believe the 400mm f/5.6 is freaking AWESOME!! The best camera is the one with you, as is the best lens, and this thing, in it's case, is like a third of a small/standard backpack and little more weight than carrying a drink bottle, IQ is amazing, IQ is amazing despite naysayers and IQ is amazing. Coupled with this generation's FF sensors' low light capabilities this thing's ace!
9) For size, weight, IQ, price... I believe Tamron's lesser known 55-200mm lens is a gem and don't really understand how it's managed to go so unnoticed..
10) I don't really shoot with flash much, but for around £8 on eBay you get these wee bounce flashes which produce amazing results that complement fast primes with a bit of ISO push no problem... This is my favourite flash unit on the planet :D

I could totally keep going, apologies for hogging the thread ;)
Loving everyone else's contributions and totally agree with the lens flare/vignette appreciation :D
5D3 // 70D // EOS M & SL1 // Sigma 24/1.8 & 50/1.4 // Canon EF 400/5.6L & 100/2 // Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 // SONY HDR FX1000 // Canon XM2 & HV20 // Zoom H1 // Paints, Pens & Pencils!... USA Strat, Mexican Tele, Warwick Thumb 5 ;)

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »
0. I'm sure these are disgusting perversions for many, but I don't agree with you ;D
1. I like some Sigma lenses better, than equivalent Canon ones.
2. My camera is worth more than all my lenses combined at the moment.
3. I never use UV filters.
4. I prefer 50/1.8II on FF over 35L on a Rebel.
5. I always use LiveView for landscapes.
6. I crop a lot.
7. I only use center point for focusing.
8. For me, photography is a "capture-the-moment technology", not art.
FF + primes !

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »
I buy camera bags obsessively. I am the Imelda Marcos of camera bags. Each new one will absolutely, for sure, solve all the issues I had with the previous one. I have to hide the old ones from my husband in bins the basement.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »
My perversion is boobs. 

But on the photo landscape, I enjoy selling gear more than I do buying and using gear. 

Now I do buy gear at below market pricing and I sell it at above what I paid for it... but still.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 6D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
My perversions are not appropriate to mention in this august forum... but you can visit my (NSFW) website if you want to know more.

I just hope Canon doesn't find out what I do with their cameras and cut me off.  :)
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 700D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8, 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f/1.2L, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma classic.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

zim

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 04:09:05 PM »
I still like film

sorry

and boobs

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 04:09:05 PM »