October 02, 2014, 02:26:10 AM

Author Topic: Advice on drop-in filter (PL-C 52)  (Read 376 times)

Steb

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Advice on drop-in filter (PL-C 52)
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:16:34 AM »
Hi,

I am about to buy a polarizer filter for my Canon EF 300m f/2.8L IS prime lens (old version, not the new version II). I noticed there seem to be two versions out there of the PL-C 52. Some have the addition WII. They are cheaper and more easily available. I guess it is an updated version of this filter?

My question now is, will the WII version be compatible with my older (non II) telephoto lens? Of course I would prefer to buy the WII, but maybe I have to lookout and try to get one of the older versions?  :-\

Thanks and best regards,
Steb

canon rumors FORUM

Advice on drop-in filter (PL-C 52)
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:16:34 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on drop-in filter (PL-C 52)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 06:10:42 AM »
Either will work. The only difference between them is the WII version has the new 'white' paint color (slightly brighter) that matches the MkII supertele lenses.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:30:50 AM »
The only difference between them is the WII version has the new 'white' paint color (slightly brighter) that matches the MkII supertele lenses.
That and about $100 ;D

Steb

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »
Great... then I just get the new WII version and save some money. I don't care about the color too much. Thanks for your help!

Steb

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
Got the WII filter this weekend. Fits perfectly and works great. The slight color mismatch is even less noticeable than I expected, so not an issue at all. Thanks again for your support.  :)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:53:29 AM »
Got the WII filter this weekend. Fits perfectly and works great. The slight color mismatch is even less noticeable than I expected, so not an issue at all. Thanks again for your support.  :)
I hope you like it as much as I do - I have found it to be incredibly useful to cut reflections, reduce dynamic range (by killing the glare), slow shutter speeds, and punch up the colors.  I wasn't expecting to get so much use out of it, but I have.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:53:29 AM »