August 31, 2014, 02:52:25 AM

Author Topic: upgrade from t2i to 1dm4 or 1dx??  (Read 2911 times)

johninsanantonio

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: upgrade from t2i to 1dm4 or 1dx??
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »
Now my 2SS
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:28:12 AM by johninsanantonio »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »

johninsanantonio

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »
Just for accuracy I'll attach a macro that I took with my old 7D and a EF 100mm macro non L. The detail is stunning.

johninsanantonio

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 12:47:17 AM »
 I'll also add a pic I shot with my 5D3 at iso 25600 and my EF 24-105mm L. The clarity at that iso still amazes me. I had to shrink the pic down just a bit so I could attach it.

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 01:51:22 AM »
Geez, you guys and your 5DIII's  ::)  No one who wants to shoot sports primarily is ever going to be satisfied with a 5DIII.  You need the high frame rate to maximize the chance to get the right shots - intense facial expressions, ball just leaving the hand, two faces and that sense of conflict and emotion, etc. that you can't get with proper timing alone.  This is literally what the 1 series was designed for and y'all are telling him its not the right camera?

Because a body is only half (or less) of the equation. If it were a "I want to buy a 1Dx and several series 2 L lenses, should I," nobody would likely dissuade him.
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 02:11:59 AM »
Geez, you guys and your 5DIII's  ::)  No one who wants to shoot sports primarily is ever going to be satisfied with a 5DIII.  You need the high frame rate to maximize the chance to get the right shots - intense facial expressions, ball just leaving the hand, two faces and that sense of conflict and emotion, etc. that you can't get with proper timing alone.  This is literally what the 1 series was designed for and y'all are telling him its not the right camera?

Because a body is only half (or less) of the equation. If it were a "I want to buy a 1Dx and several series 2 L lenses, should I," nobody would likely dissuade him.

Sometimes one wants what one wants. It's not always about the features, but also the person using it.
A sedan probably would be sufficient for his commute, and be more economical (as I remember him saying about the gas mileage)- but he went for the truck. And there's nothing wrong with it- his money, his choice.
I think TF wants a 1-D body. Now the 1D X, that's a bit much. But 1DIV is not much worse or much more expensive than the 5DIII, and it will give him all the 1-series advantages, which are considerable.
My 2c.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 02:21:58 AM »

Sometimes one wants what one wants. It's not always about the features, but also the person using it.
A sedan probably would be sufficient for his commute, and be more economical (as I remember him saying about the gas mileage)- but he went for the truck. And there's nothing wrong with it- his money, his choice.
I think TF wants a 1-D body. Now the 1D X, that's a bit much. But 1DIV is not much worse or much more expensive than the 5DIII, and it will give him all the 1-series advantages, which are considerable.
My 2c.

Perhaps it comes down to format. If the OP wants full frame, the 5d3 suits with room in the budget for appropriate glass. If he wants a crop, the 1d4 suits with room in the budget for appropriate glass. Alternatively, he could grab a 1Dx and some less than optimal lenses which he can eventually replace.

In any case, I agree. It's his money. I know how I'd spend it, but it isn't my decision.

David_in_Seattle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2014, 03:48:32 AM »
For my day job I shoot with a 5Dmk3 (mostly for video or landscape photos) and a 1DX (my go to camera for any action/sports/nature shot).

Previously, I had a 1Dmk3 (the only truly bad 1D camera for its intended purpose) then a mk4 (fixed all the mk3's issues.

For my personal stuff, I shoot with a 60D and 70D.

To answer your post:

If all goes well then you'll have $7 to $8k in camera funds.

If you can find a 1dmk4 in good shape (they're no longer in production) for under $3500 then go for it.  It's AF system is awesome and I actually like the 1.3 crop factor for shooting sports on a super tele.  Compared to your Rebel T2i (also my first DSLR) it's a huge upgrade and a steep learning curve, but well worth the price.  It's also at least 1 1/2 stops better than the T2i in high iso and dynamic range.  Though 10fps will be a blessing and a curse...yes, you'll get the shot...but you'll have to sort through 3 times as many images to find it.

If you can't find a 1dmk4 for under $3500, then you can either wait for the 7Dmk2 or opt for the 5Dmk3.  No, don't go for the 1DX.  It'd kill your budget and putting inferior glass on it will negatively impact the AF performance and image quality.  If you've got the time to wait for a 7Dmk2 announcement (most likely this year), then I'd hold out for it.  If not, the 5Dmk3 is still a good option.

As for glass:  I strongly recommend getting the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS v1 OR v2.  I have both and to be honest, the v1 is still very much capable.  If the v1 was a 9/10 then the v2 is a 9.5/10.  Reason for going with this lens instead of a third party is because the AF system in combo with the high burst rate will ensure your images have a better keeper rate.  I've used the Tamron 70-200 along with Sigma's version and noticed a significant drop in my keeper rate vs the Canons.  8/10 shots from the Canon versions while 3-4/10 shots for both the Tamron and Sigma while shooting a local hip hop break dance competition with bad lighting and fast movement...something similar that you can expect in a night sports event.

If you need the ultra tele focal length then consider buying a 1.4 or 2.0 tele converter for your 70-200.  It will lose a stop or two depending on which one you use, but you'll still have the AF advantage.  If you really get into shooting sports then save up for the 300 or 400 super teles...trust me, they're both worlds apart from any third party lens (and I've used a lot because my employer receives a lot of pre production glass from manufacturers).
David Cuerpo, Jr. | Media Producer | Expedia Inc.
Cameras: 1Dx, 5Dmk3, 60D
Lenses: 8-15 Fisheye, 16-35 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 24-70 f2.8 v2, 17 TSE, 24 TSE, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.2, 90 TSE, 100 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS v2, 200 f2 IS, 300 f2.8 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2014, 03:48:32 AM »

Steve

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »

Right, but the question was between the 1DIV and 1DX, not the 1DX and every other camera made.  Dude wants a camera for sports, not weddings. The 5DIII, while a very nice camera, is inappropriate for the type of shooting he wants to do.  What's hard about this concept?  He wants a sports car and you're all telling him to buy an SUV.

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

TeleFragger

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2014, 08:58:30 PM »
u guys are funny... i like that...  :P

on my current beer state i will try and say something.. will see if it makes sense tomorrow..

nice car.. not a zl1...
cat.. nice
coin.. cmon how far do u get with a penny?>???

anyway..  I could use an xti to do those... anyone can expose to the levels of stationary...

my biggest thing is my t2i COULD do what i need with glass.. so yes I WANT a new camera.. bought the t2i in 2009... now... side note kid i think backed out. I tried txting him and i got a recipient is not accepting txt... I am an android person but my wife said u can do that on an iphone so he is blocking me.. no biggie..

so with that... no new camera... next march is bonus time and i WANT a new camera again..

so with that... my WANt is because I HATE my picss as I think they suck with the t2i..

now forget the t2i;s capabilities... now and then I turn it on... zoom in.. auto fucus and were good... go to take a pic an no go.. camera wont take a pic... remove batteries sit for an hr (what i found works) and im good to go...
that SUX.. camera has an issue...

for what i do as not paid my pics are ok.. even blurry people love em... thanks to iphone...

I want and can not do 1/2000 iso 100 pics with my t2i indoors for MMA or night street hockey. We just registered the kids for hockey so more pics to come. we will see...

johninsanantonio

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2014, 09:47:44 PM »
u guys are funny... i like that...  :P

on my current beer state i will try and say something.. will see if it makes sense tomorrow..

nice car.. not a zl1...
cat.. nice
coin.. cmon how far do u get with a penny?>???

anyway..  I could use an xti to do those... anyone can expose to the levels of stationary...

my biggest thing is my t2i COULD do what i need with glass.. so yes I WANT a new camera.. bought the t2i in 2009... now... side note kid i think backed out. I tried txting him and i got a recipient is not accepting txt... I am an android person but my wife said u can do that on an iphone so he is blocking me.. no biggie..

so with that... no new camera... next march is bonus time and i WANT a new camera again..

so with that... my WANt is because I HATE my picss as I think they suck with the t2i..

now forget the t2i;s capabilities... now and then I turn it on... zoom in.. auto fucus and were good... go to take a pic an no go.. camera wont take a pic... remove batteries sit for an hr (what i found works) and im good to go...
that SUX.. camera has an issue...

for what i do as not paid my pics are ok.. even blurry people love em... thanks to iphone...

I want and can not do 1/2000 iso 100 pics with my t2i indoors for MMA or night street hockey. We just registered the kids for hockey so more pics to come. we will see...

First of all I'm a retired Soldier and can't afford a ZL1. Besides I'm completely satisfied with 400HP.

Second the penny and the cat were shot with my 7d and 5D3.

And third The jump pics on the previous message were shot with an XTi. To put that into perspective we jumped at 800 feet and from where she was standing I'd guesstimate between 2000-3000 meters away from the plane. Airspeed is 125 knots which equals 144 MPH rounding up. The jumpers exit the aircraft at about 90 miles an hour until their shoot deploys which slows them down to 23 feet a second. Go back and take a second look at those pics with this in mind and you may have a different perspective.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:53:40 PM by johninsanantonio »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »
And third The jump pics on the previous message were shot with an XTi. To put that into perspective we jumped at 800 feet and from where she was standing I'd guesstimate between 2000-3000 meters away from the plane. Airspeed is 125 knots which equals 144 MPH rounding up. The jumpers exit the aircraft at about 90 miles an hour until their shoot deploys which slows them down to 23 feet a second. Go back and take a second look at those pics with this in mind and you may have a different perspective.

I had a different perspective as soon as I read the phrase "we jumped".
Hats off...
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

johninsanantonio

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
I was fortunate to have served with IMHO one of the best Airborne regiments in army. the 1st and 2nd Battalion 504th which is 1st brigade in the 82nd. We made history twice be being the 1st in for the Baghdad Surge in Jan 07 with 5 days notice and again being the 1st advise and assist Battalion in Fallujah in 2009. I served as a Combat medic. that was my 2nd and 3rd Iraq deployments. Whenever possible I always had a camera with me. Just a Canon Powershot but I got some pretty good shots from that. During my first deployment I had a Nikon Coolpix which fell apart after a couple months of usage. I still own the Powershot which survived 27 months in the desart and still works perfectly after everything it's been through. I'll hyperlink my youtube video that my wife shot of one of my last jumps before I left the 82nd that was taken with our VIXIA HFR21.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBIU4cBla2w

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2014, 03:56:14 PM »

Right, but the question was between the 1DIV and 1DX, not the 1DX and every other camera made.  Dude wants a camera for sports, not weddings. The 5DIII, while a very nice camera, is inappropriate for the type of shooting he wants to do.  What's hard about this concept?  He wants a sports car and you're all telling him to buy an SUV.

I'm not telling him to buy anything, I'm merely suggesting that a 1Dx without matching quality lenses is like buying the Ferrari to tow the boat with.

I like when people answer gear questions with perhaps unvisited considerations. If this forum were merely an exercise in multiple choice, it would be far less valuable.

But fine, all else being equal, 1Dx hands down.

TeleFragger

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »
thanks guys... been gone for a bit. kids keeping me busy.wife just had gllbladder removed yesterday so im on low sleep. kid backed out i guess no word. i have an older guy interested with this comment...

Your not bothering me. Just don't sell it I have the cash and I will come buy it this week. Obviously after you get the carb. Trust me I will send pics t o you over time. It won't be sitting. My buddies are certified ASE techs and we take care of S___. She'll be in great hands and used for what she was intended

so with that im back on track.
My big thing is I dont want to buy something and think I should have gotten something else. Also dont want to buy a 1dx and in 6 months drops 2000 because mark 2 comes out.

still 5dm3 maybe suitable and may get one in the future.... for now i wqnt a 1d series. guy at work said the 1d series feels so nice as he has a 1dm2 and 5dm3...

i know there will be a huge improvement from  a t2i to either 1dx or 1dm4. I am reading so many people say they had the mark 4 and got a 1dx now mark4 sits....

1dm4 is discontinued so tough to buy due to that....

I still dont know what I want... undecided...when i have cash in hand.... will b easier but should be one more week. more to ponder...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »