October 24, 2014, 04:12:56 AM

Author Topic: 5D iii with 135 mm 85 mm 50 mm wedding in servo poor focus any ideas?  (Read 6319 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
If he was at a distance, the dof would be greater... closer to the subject... thinner.  So yes... what aperture was he shooting at, but also how far with each lens. 

What was your depth of field? 
Maybe you were shooting at a DOF too shallow 
I guess this was the point. What aperture were you shooting with?
If wide open, I suppose it was a DOF problem with the dancers moving OOF during shutter release.

In such conditions I swich to M mode with auto ISO (enhanced, if needed) to have full control of aperture and shutter. And then I have to close the aperture as much as needed.
Normally this works. But sometimes it is just to dark for the AF.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

RyanSandsPhotography

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
I shoot with a Canon 5d mark iii at my weddings and I can tell you first hand that servo mode isn't going to help you much with "dancing" shots during the reception. Your better off in one shot mode with only cross type points turned on. Use a cluster of 9 points that are near your subjects face and with a good lens your going to nail your focus almost 100% of the time. Now I use the Canon 24-70 2.8 ii and the Canon 70-200 f2.8 is ii. These new lenses were built to work perfectly with the 5d mark iii's new focus system. I've rented and used all the lenses you mentioned. The 50L is the worst in my opinion of the 3. Good luck getting any decent shots with that thing in poor light..I wouldn't even bother using it. The 135L can handle itself but 135mm is too long for dance shots when your moving about the dance floor ducking in and out of guests. The 85 1.8 isn't too bad of a performer in good light but again dance floors are usually dark so good luck. If you want to cover dancing easily you want a good general zoom like the new 24-70 ii. The 16-35 ii has issues with locking focus in low light and it's not particularly sharp at 2.8. You would have to stop down to f4 to get any decent sharpness out of it.

I'm not sure why others have said this but don't even bother with the 6D. It's focus system is severally lacking and your 5d mark iii is in a complete differently league.

I'm not sure if your using on camera flash but your going to want that for the focus assist beam that it provides. If it were me I wouldn't waste time shooting with primes on the dance floor and go with something more versatile like a standard zoom. With the right lighting setup you should be at around 800-1000 ISO with a 160th-200th shutter speed at f-stop 2.8-3.5 on manual mode.

lukemike

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Thanks Ryan, that pretty much answers all my questions. 5D III isn't mine, I'm currently changing my gear and I'm considering 5d III, 1dx or d4. By saying "Use a cluster of 9 points that are near your subjects face and with a good lens your going to nail your focus almost 100% of the time" do mean one shot or servo mode?
Thanks.

I shoot with a Canon 5d mark iii at my weddings and I can tell you first hand that servo mode isn't going to help you much with "dancing" shots during the reception. Your better off in one shot mode with only cross type points turned on. Use a cluster of 9 points that are near your subjects face and with a good lens your going to nail your focus almost 100% of the time. Now I use the Canon 24-70 2.8 ii and the Canon 70-200 f2.8 is ii. These new lenses were built to work perfectly with the 5d mark iii's new focus system. I've rented and used all the lenses you mentioned. The 50L is the worst in my opinion of the 3. Good luck getting any decent shots with that thing in poor light..I wouldn't even bother using it. The 135L can handle itself but 135mm is too long for dance shots when your moving about the dance floor ducking in and out of guests. The 85 1.8 isn't too bad of a performer in good light but again dance floors are usually dark so good luck. If you want to cover dancing easily you want a good general zoom like the new 24-70 ii. The 16-35 ii has issues with locking focus in low light and it's not particularly sharp at 2.8. You would have to stop down to f4 to get any decent sharpness out of it.

I'm not sure why others have said this but don't even bother with the 6D. It's focus system is severally lacking and your 5d mark iii is in a complete differently league.

I'm not sure if your using on camera flash but your going to want that for the focus assist beam that it provides. If it were me I wouldn't waste time shooting with primes on the dance floor and go with something more versatile like a standard zoom. With the right lighting setup you should be at around 800-1000 ISO with a 160th-200th shutter speed at f-stop 2.8-3.5 on manual mode.

RyanSandsPhotography

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Luke you would be in one shot mode. And yes, do yourself a huge favor and save up for the 5d mark iii. Unfortunately for Canon the only two good focusing systems in their entire lineup are the ones in the 5d mark iii and 1Dx. While the 1Dx is an amazing camera it is just overkill for weddings and events when first starting out. Although I do plan on purchasing one as my next camera to compliment my 5d iii it would be solely for gear lust and not because I need it to get the job done. You could easily own two 5d mark iii cameras for your wedding bodies and never ever miss the 1Dx. Just don't ever pick up a 1Dx in the store and play with it haha...then you will have serious gear lust for that thing lol.

canon rumors FORUM