September 16, 2014, 05:32:04 AM

Author Topic: Export from camera to USB flash drive  (Read 2464 times)

sposh

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Export from camera to USB flash drive
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 05:32:11 AM »
I use the Nexus 7 but had to root it to use the OTG. Then with StickMount and a simple file manager I copy the CF contents across with a card reader plus OTG cable. I find it fails a bit though - presumably files have been copied so I take out the cable, only later to find the last 2-3 files to be empty. Mostly happens with copy, not move, and not always. Still working out when and why, quite annoying. Shoot raw+jpeg. I move from CF to Nexus, so normally no problem there. Then copy jpegs to small USB for backup - this is the bit that sometimes fails. Then move raw+jpeg to big USB, usually OK.

Not sure why I have to root the Nexus for proper OTG, maybe there is an easier way. Tried synching but the simple app I used only copied jpegs, not raw.

If you have SD there are some cool cards (though not amazingly fast) which double up as USB, so no need for card reader.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 05:32:11 AM »

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
If you have a cellphone with USB OTG support, it can act as the host. You'd plug the phone, camera and the flash drive into a USB hub, and copy between the two drives using a file manager app on the phone. Note that most phones with OTG still need the peripherals to be powered.

Funny, I've been trying to get this to work for a few weeks now. I have an OTG cable and a device that has USB host mode (HTC One). I can successfully read a memory stick, but when I plug in either of my 5Ds, I can not see them from any file manager. I tried the demo of an app called (I believe) CR2 Thumbnailer, and it would list the camera make and model briefly, but then say "unable to connect."

Any ideas? Is it a settings (PTP) thing?
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »