May 22, 2018, 06:27:59 AM

Author Topic: Trying to start a Photography Business but surrounded by amateurs!  (Read 58383 times)

dstppy

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Trying to start a Photography Business but surrounded by amateurs!
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »
Some things are worth it, some people just want over-'shopped photos out of a higher-end camera.

Lots of things separate a pro from an amateur.  As Neuro said, bunnies?

I've stopped doing my own formals of my kid because it drives me up the wall when he 'poses' and gives that wooden smile and I can't not start raising my voice.  This is why I only do candids (which I'm decent at). 

I'm no child portrait photographer . . . and it shows.

Local studio my mom 'sneaked' my son into and got great shots.  LifeTouch does school pictures and I get that stupid wooden grin like the person said to "SAY CHEESE" and his dress shirt isn't touched in.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2014, 03:47:52 PM »

Scott_McPhee

• EOS Rebel T7i
  • Canon 5D mark 3 with various L lenses
    • SJL Photography
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2014, 11:21:12 AM »
I've got another one next to me now doing 4 baby "Watch me grow" shoots with 4 shots printed out per shoot, an album at the end and all of the pics on a CD for £200 (about $335).

Quality of the pics are crap but people are booking her - is our art dead?

Orangutan

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »
I've got another one next to me now doing 4 baby "Watch me grow" shoots with 4 shots printed out per shoot, an album at the end and all of the pics on a CD for £200 (about $335).

Have you ever looked at 100-year old baby pictures of your ancestors?  Did it bother you that the quality was crap?  Memory photos need to be just good enough to evoke memories, nothing more.  A low-quality photo with a smiling kid is better than a high-quality photo with a wooden smile or worse.

jdramirez

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2014, 11:35:41 AM »

It sounds like a good value... I know people resisted grabbing market share, but you have to get people in the door before you can sell to them.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

Scott_McPhee

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • SJL Photography
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2014, 11:50:33 AM »

It sounds like a good value... I know people resisted grabbing market share, but you have to get people in the door before you can sell to them.

I agree mate, but the quality of the pics is awful - SOC and not even a levels adjust on them.
I actually thought they were taken on a (poor) mobile phone.

Orangutan

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:25 AM »

I agree mate, but the quality of the pics is awful - SOC and not even a levels adjust on them.

That speaks more of the clients than of the photographer.  Those clients were not going to hire you anyway.  Have you considered a "see the difference for yourself" campaign?  That would be side-by-side display of (1) good quality cell phone photo; (2) sooc jpeg using camera default settings; (3) your quality of work.   Anyone who can't see the difference wouldn't have been your client anyhow.

AcutancePhotography

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »
Have you ever looked at 100-year old baby pictures of your ancestors?  Did it bother you that the quality was crap?  Memory photos need to be just good enough to evoke memories, nothing more.  A low-quality photo with a smiling kid is better than a high-quality photo with a wooden smile or worse.

An excellent point. Not every picture has to be "artistic".  Most people's family albums are filled with photographs that are good enough.  It is the memory and the emotion of the moment that is important.

I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »

Scott_McPhee

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • SJL Photography
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2014, 12:46:56 PM »

That speaks more of the clients than of the photographer.  Those clients were not going to hire you anyway.  Have you considered a "see the difference for yourself" campaign?  That would be side-by-side display of (1) good quality cell phone photo; (2) sooc jpeg using camera default settings; (3) your quality of work.   Anyone who can't see the difference wouldn't have been your client anyhow.

Thats a great idea my friend :)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2014, 01:12:36 PM »

Thats a great idea my friend :)
Have you guys seen this? Crappy Vs Snappy: Photog Uses Side-by-Side Comparisons to Market His Skill
CPS Score: 111 points, those 0 and 1 point items really add up

tolusina

• Gallery Administrator
  • EOS 5DS R
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »
Have you guys seen this? Crappy Vs Snappy: Photog Uses Side-by-Side Comparisons to Market His Skill
Excellent find.
<sarcasm> But really now, can't all that be done in post? </sarcasm>
6D, 40, 50 1.8 II, 50 1.8 STM, 24-105L, 90EX, 2X 600EX-RT, 2X Lightsphere, ST-E3-RT, Kenko DG set, GT2531LVL, Ultimate GP, PRO-100, SPYDERPrint, MG3122, PA242W-BK-SV, Intuos Pro, WIN 10 on hardware with intent, AE-1, D-70, D-80, P30T

Roo

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2014, 04:35:59 AM »
and then you get articles like this one....

'And there we have it! The technique is similar to that used by professional photographers, so you’re basically a professional photographer now.'

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/how-to-take-an-incredible-iphone-photo-in-the-dark/story-fn6vihic-1226950214904

::)
5Div, 5Diii, 60D, GoPro Hero 4, DJI Phantom 3, Canon 16-35 f4L, Canon 24-70 f2.8L ii, Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon 70-200 f2.8L is II, Canon 50 f1.8 STM, Canon 100 f2.8L, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 f2.8macro, Tamron 150-600, Yongnuo YN-E3-RT, Yongnuo YN600EX-RT (x3), Nissin Di866 II

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2014, 10:17:12 AM »

'And there we have it! The technique is similar to that used by professional photographers, so you’re basically a professional photographer now.'

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/how-to-take-an-incredible-iphone-photo-in-the-dark/story-fn6vihic-1226950214904

I'm confused - the wisest CEO of them all, Marissa Mayer of Yahoo, has already said, "[T]here’s really no such thing as professional photographers anymore."  Why would someone want to emulate the dead? ;)
CPS Score: 111 points, those 0 and 1 point items really add up

wickidwombat

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2014, 02:56:28 AM »

I've actually thought a cool app would be one that changes the colour of the light to correctly balanced colours for CTO plus or minus green etc so you could actually use your phone light as a continuous source for taking shots in low light
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2014, 02:56:28 AM »

dstppy

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2014, 09:21:30 AM »
Bring out your dead!

I'm confused - the wisest CEO of them all, Marissa Mayer of Yahoo, has already said, "[T]here’s really no such thing as professional photographers anymore."  Why would someone want to emulate the dead? ;)
Ahm not dead yet!
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

jdramirez

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »
Bring out your dead!

Ahm not dead yet!

I've seen so much bad photography... in my own collection from a few years ago.  And that is when people were saying I was doing a great job... so ignorance and politeness lead to this inflated valuation of amatuerism. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »