September 15, 2014, 11:25:48 PM

Author Topic: College student needs help deciding what camera body to get.  (Read 1689 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: College student needs help deciding what camera body to get.
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 10:34:40 AM »
Recent comments make me wonder how many people here took pictures for a college yearbook and/or newspaper. I sure did.

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 10:34:40 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 10:38:29 AM »
Recent comments make me wonder how many people here took pictures for a college yearbook and/or newspaper. I sure did.

Me, too.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »
Dear Students -

Student Loans are not intended to buy anything that someone calling oneself a "student" wants to purchase, nor are they intended to purchase capital assets for fledgling entrepreneurs (hint: apply for a grant).

Rather, Student Loans are intended to help cover the expenses associated with education.

Sincerely,
The small and shrinking percentage of Americans who pay the taxes which subsidize your low interest loans.
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

atkinsr

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
Judgements about money aside, you are in the middle of riots and mosh pits with multi-thousand dollar cameras that are large, easily damaged, and easily stolen? Sorry, that's just nuts.

You are shooting editorials for print, you don't need the resolution or color accuracy for wall size art gallery prints. If it were me, I'd be looking at something like a used Rebel T3/T3i (or if you don't have to have Canon, a Pentax K-30 which takes incredible pictures and can be had for just under $400 *new* on sale) with a cheap but capable do-it-all lens such as the Sigma 18-250.

If you are willing to step away from DSLR for your assignments, take a look at the Sony A6000 and see if it works for you. The DxO scores are very impressive, bettering a lot of the mid-range DSLRs out there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »