September 16, 2014, 01:25:21 AM

Author Topic: 15% Off at Canon Refurbished Store  (Read 9129 times)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: 15% Off at Canon Refurbished Store
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »
Just an update. I ordered the 100-400 and thought I'd share a little about the experience. The lens arrived within three days and is in pristine condition. I checked the date code and it was manufactured in March of this year.

I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet, but have been doing a few test shots. I'm blown away by the results. I've rented this lens before and was pleased, but I'd forgotten how much I liked it. (Although it is dang heavy.)

I think another person on this site once pointed out that they like refurbished lenses because they know they've been checked out and brought up to specs individually, while a new lens may get only a cursory once-over on the production line. I don't know if that is true or not, but it makes sense to me.

Bottom line: I've giving Canon's refurbished store a big thumbs up.

BTW, I bought a refurbished 430 EXII through Adorama last year and had much the same experience. It arrived in a Canon-branded box, had documentation it has been refurbished by Canon and was in absolutely perfect condition.

On another topic:

15% would be an even better bargain if Canon would not slap sales tax on the final invoice value... BH/ Adormama etc are cheaper cause they don't put sales tax on top when shipping to Indiana.

Canon has no choice but to charge sales taxes on their products. Don't blame them. It's the law. Amazon and other sellers can avoid charging sales taxes because they have no physical presence in your state. But, just so you are aware, you probably owe the taxes anyway and while most states don't do a good job of auditing these purchases, that is changing.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »
I think another person on this site once pointed out that they like refurbished lenses because they know they've been checked out and brought up to specs individually, while a new lens may get only a cursory once-over on the production line. I don't know if that is true or not, but it makes sense to me.
On another topic:

15% would be an even better bargain if Canon would not slap sales tax on the final invoice value... BH/ Adormama etc are cheaper cause they don't put sales tax on top when shipping to Indiana.

Canon has no choice but to charge sales taxes on their products. Don't blame them. It's the law. Amazon and other sellers can avoid charging sales taxes because they have no physical presence in your state. But, just so you are aware, you probably owe the taxes anyway and while most states don't do a good job of auditing these purchases, that is changing.

I said that; since it made sense to me. I asked Canon about it and they agreed.

On the Tax issue:

I do not think Canon has a tax nexus in Indiana, they have one in IL and WI. I will buy from where ever it seems cheaper to me, if you think I owe taxes, then show me the relevant tax code regarding internet purchases. Does the federal Tax authority think it is ok how Amazon operates, yet holds the individual liable? Shouldnt both be liable or none be?
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 11:00:26 PM »
I'm in MN and I was charged tax.  I cannot speak for other states, but it is typical (and for sure in MN) that when you file your state taxes, there is a section to declare out of state purchases (internet or mail order) so you can be taxed for them.  If you want details, talk a tax accountant, not us random people on the internet.   ::)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
K-amps, don't misunderstand. I wasn't trying to be critical or offend you.

I just wanted to make it clear that Canon charges sales tax because they have to, not because they want to. It's a state and not a federal issue and most states define Nexus very broadly. For example, if Canon has a copier service center in Indiana, or even has an authorized dealer for Canon office products, they have a nexus in the state.

I won't waste space or time with details on this forum, but suffice it to say this has become a major issue between the states and internet retailers.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Jedifarce

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 03:06:38 AM »
Just an update. I ordered the 100-400 and thought I'd share a little about the experience. The lens arrived within three days and is in pristine condition. I checked the date code and it was manufactured in March of this year.

I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet, but have been doing a few test shots. I'm blown away by the results. I've rented this lens before and was pleased, but I'd forgotten how much I liked it. (Although it is dang heavy.)

Bottom line: I've giving Canon's refurbished store a big thumbs up.

BTW, I bought a refurbished 430 EXII through Adorama last year and had much the same experience. It arrived in a Canon-branded box, had documentation it has been refurbished by Canon and was in absolutely perfect condition.

BH/ Adormama etc are cheaper cause they don't put sales tax on top when shipping to Indiana.

I can affirm both the Canon and Adorama online stores are top notch having made purchases of refurbished items myself.

As for the 100-400mm, I would've liked to have this sort of zoom range but being that it is a push-pull lens it won't work with a follow focus system and the non-constant aperture makes it impossible for movie taking. I'm personally waiting for the 200-400mm F/4 L.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 11:28:56 AM »
K-amps, don't misunderstand. I wasn't trying to be critical or offend you.

I just wanted to make it clear that Canon charges sales tax because they have to, not because they want to. It's a state and not a federal issue and most states define Nexus very broadly. For example, if Canon has a copier service center in Indiana, or even has an authorized dealer for Canon office products, they have a nexus in the state.

I won't waste space or time with details on this forum, but suffice it to say this has become a major issue between the states and internet retailers.

and I was not trying to "blame" Canon, I just alluded to the choices we have. I am however mad at Canon for not honoring the holiday/ individual discount 9 days after they shipped me the 70-200... they said they could not do it once they shipped the product out.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 11:28:56 AM »