July 23, 2014, 12:26:55 AM

Author Topic: New APS-C Camera in February?  (Read 16164 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
New APS-C Camera in February?
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »

APS-C Before Full Frame?

Received word today, that the next planned DSLR announcement from Canon will be in February 2012. It’s a loose date and could happen at the end of January as well. The floods in Thailand are messing with parts availability.

It will most likely be a camera using the current 18mp sensor, with some modifications. Expect DIGIC V as well.

Lenses?

I’m told from the same person we’ll see a lens announcement before the next DSLR. No word on what.

Next “G”?

Again, the same person is saying the next “G” series camera will be a departure from what we have now.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

New APS-C Camera in February?
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: New APS-C Camera in February?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »
Coool. My planned purchases include the next Rebel (T4i?) + 5D2 + 35 f/1.4L lens.

PS: I hope Canon has improved their sensor quality. Will really like them to match up to the sensors in the Pentax K-5 and Nikon D5100. Don't really care if they resort to in-camera RAW NR like their competition.  :P
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:18:32 PM by Woody »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 07:30:42 PM »
Last February it was the T3i announced from "Lake Success, N.Y.". What are the odds we'll see a repeat of that announcement? Or is this rumor simply predicated on past Canon announcements?

gene_can_sing

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
SWEET!!

I'm thinking since it's digic V, that means it will fix the moire / aliasing in the video. This is a long, long time coming for Canon video DSLR people.

This will get me by until the DSLR / video full frame hybrid comes out. Then the T4i will become a good B-Cam.

Oh yes, and please include 1080p 60fps like the latest Sony Alpha.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:56:14 PM by gene_can_sing »

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:24:08 PM »
It will most likely be a camera using the current 18mp sensor, with some modifications. Expect DIGIC V as well.

I am pretty certain that the first APS-C camera with a new sensor will be the 7DII (or whatever it is called).

Again, the same person is saying the next “G” series camera will be a departure from what we have now.

This is the interesting bit, and something I would like to hear more about.  I do recall one comment from Canon saying that they would introduce a "small" product that would be "interesting" (I think that was the word) next year.
I hope that Canon move the G series towards something with a bigger sensor - to give better low light performance and shallow depth of field.  That would be a strong motivation to replace my G11.  A brighter lens would be nice as well - I do still like the f/2 that my G5 has at the wide end.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:33:38 PM by gmrza »
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:58:03 PM »
A revision to the 7D would be awesome I would snap one up for sure

dual Digic V maybe if they keep 18 MP it will hit 10fps? maybe not if the shutter cant keep up
hope they keep the same battery
improve the sharpness and high iso
18MP is fine for me
maybe some tweeks to the AF system
APS-H Fanboy

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:02:01 PM »
Last February it was the T3i announced from "Lake Success, N.Y.". What are the odds we'll see a repeat of that announcement? Or is this rumor simply predicated on past Canon announcements?

Even if it is, there's been a new Rebel/xxxD in 1Q for the past several years, so another one seems likely. I agree that it will use the same sensor (a three-peat for that sensor in the xxxD line), but with Digic5, and possibly the 3.2" LCD in the 1D X - that will likely be sufficient differentiation for the marketing department to run with.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:02:01 PM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:32:30 PM »

Even if it is, there's been a new Rebel/xxxD in 1Q for the past several years, so another one seems likely. I agree that it will use the same sensor (a three-peat for that sensor in the xxxD line), but with Digic5, and possibly the 3.2" LCD in the 1D X - that will likely be sufficient differentiation for the marketing department to run with.

We're more likely to find a swing and swivel in the T4i/600/650 than the 1DX screen.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »
Hoe there there is micro adjustment for the AF. Canon shouild have make it as a standrd feature accross the entire DSLR line. With that, Canon can sell more fast lense.

psycho5

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 10:22:43 PM »
If Canon was smart they would outfit the 7Dii with a sensor with the same philosophy as the 1Dx... lower mp count with larger pixels!  ;D

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 10:41:14 PM »
If Canon was smart they would outfit the 7Dii with a sensor with the same philosophy as the 1Dx... lower mp count with larger pixels!  ;D
Unfortunately, Sony has already set the bar, I think, in the APS-C space, with their recent 24MP offerings.  Canon will have difficulty backing below 18MP, but hopefully won't go hunting higher resolutions.

Given than APS-C sensors use the "sweet spot" in the centre of the lens, they can get away with a bit more resolution, but they do become diffraction-limited sooner.

One benefit of 18MP is that it does give you a lot of lattitude for cropping.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 10:53:06 PM »
I'd like to see a 7D mk II with lower noise at all ISOs, same resolution (18 MP = fine for me), some AF tweaks maybe.

Canon, even though I don't use video much, if you could allow it to have full time AF while recording that would be good (and I'd use video more). Maybe a swivel screen to help filming bur more-so, for live-view / macros at odd angles!

My 7D serves me very well... I really don't need more than 7 or 8 fps (I like the 3fps and 8fps options).  What would be handy is more than 3 bracketed exposures (eg up to 7 or 9).

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
My vote:
A new 7D/60D . . . figure a 7D with articulating screen and Digic V  . . . seriously, what else do you need?  Oh yeah, and a metal internal body with plastic external so it's superior, yet people can complain :) -- before smiting, at least post and admit that's why you're doing it :P
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 11:07:19 PM »

If Canon was smart?  I just checked, they are.  Market cap is $53B, annual revenue $47B, annual income about $8B, $11B in cash, and most important of all... this site has 13,840 members who just can't get enough of Canon cameras!   :P   But seriously, I'm with gmrza, I think they'll stick to 18MP in the APS-C line and work on improving noise and DR just a touch.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 11:46:30 PM »
Well, it's the new Rebel time of the year I guess.  Wouldn't be too far out of line for it to be a 70D either.

But I still think we're too early for a 7DII... Well, I dunno. By summer of next year the 7D will be 3 years old. But it will be a very difficult camera to improve upon. As the Rebels are at this point.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 11:46:30 PM »