October 01, 2014, 04:32:33 AM

Author Topic: New APS-C Camera in February?  (Read 16738 times)

c.d.embrey

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: New APS-C Camera in February?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:46 AM »

Unfortunately, Sony has already set the bar, I think, in the APS-C space, with their recent 24MP offerings.  Canon will have difficulty backing below 18MP, but hopefully won't go hunting higher resolutions.

The Sony 16Mp NEX 5n has a great sensor -- excellent color and low noise. I use mine strictly for video, 1080x1920 60P, 30P and 24P. If you like Auto Focus it does Face Recognition and Auto Follow Focus. If you like Manual Focusing, it has Focus Peaking just like a Broadcast video camera. If Sony can provide high-end features like this on a $600.00 camera, why can't Canon do it on their more expensive cameras???

Now I'm hoping that Canon's new APS-C will be competitive with the Nikon D400. If it isn't, I'll just keeping using my 40D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 12:28:46 AM »

polpaulin

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 01:23:31 AM »
if they could do a G with  a bigger sensor !  actually the G is a total crap camera
and a new 50 mm 1.2 !!!

kode

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 01:36:51 AM »
Releasing an EOS 650D 25 years after the EOS 650? Quite believable, I say.

RichST

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 02:03:43 AM »
A very believable rumor, Sony has been outinnovating them for a while now and if it's costing them sales they surely aren't going to take it lying down. Digic V with better video is almost certain (I hope they get rid of the moire and increase detail before they try and get any bright ideas about 1080/60p; given the 1Dx's specs I'd say that's probably reasonable to assume). It would be nice to see built-in HDR but Canon seems hell-bent on making you do it by hand (which is sooo five years ago).

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2011, 02:09:43 AM »
I'd be voting for a 650D, same 18MP sensor, maybe a digic5 to make upgrading worthwhile. I don't think there's anyone I know who's "upgraded" from a 550 to 600, but seeing as canon call the shots they can just discontinue the 550D, and then users upgrading from P&S or 1000D can choose the 600/650.

7D2 will almost definitely hve a new sensor, what it is i don't know. Either 18MP with a lot higher IQ than currently (larger pixels a la 1dx), or the same IQ-per-pixel as the current 7D with more of them (keeping pixel-size the same and fitting more in the same space). If it's 24mp or more current-7D-owners might upgrade, but either option would be a nice upgrade for 60D/xxxD-owners. Keep the rest of the features the same, there's nothing wrong with it.

I still think that there'll be another wildlifing body out to replace the 1D4, whether it's what the 1D5 should have been (18-21mp aps-h, same af, same body, 8-10fps), or it could be a high-mp aps-c (21-30, same af, same body, 8-10fps) for somewhere between 5D2 and 1D4 price.

But not yet, feb will be a 650D. (if there's a lens, please please please EFs 35/1.4)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

hambergler

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2011, 02:39:57 AM »
A very believable rumor, Sony has been outinnovating them for a while now and if it's costing them sales they surely aren't going to take it lying down. Digic V with better video is almost certain (I hope they get rid of the moire and increase detail before they try and get any bright ideas about 1080/60p; given the 1Dx's specs I'd say that's probably reasonable to assume). It would be nice to see built-in HDR but Canon seems hell-bent on making you do it by hand (which is sooo five years ago).

I agree on paper Sony may have the upper hand but in practice the A77 is way too noisy compared to the 7D, K-5 or D7000 which are relatively close with each other.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/page14.asp

Just look at the RAW there is very visible noise even at 400 ISO

5D III | 24-70 II| 50 1.4| 70-200 2.8 IS II| 600 EX-RTx4| EF 2.0X III

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 02:57:42 AM »
We will know in 2012 how well Sony really performed in 2011. FWIW, folks predicted Canon would do poorly in terms of market shares during 2010... but the truth just went the other way. Nikon's V1/J1 (not affected by the Thai floods since these are made in China) are not faring well in Japan, quite a surprise since small stuff are quite popular in Japan. I predict Canon will once again rule the 2011 market shares chart when the final numbers are released next year.

Personally, I am only interested in how well the new Canon 18 MP APS-C sensor performs. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 02:57:42 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 03:41:47 AM »
lots and lots coming from all the manufacturers at the mo...  very exciting...

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 08:59:17 AM »

7D2 will almost definitely hve a new sensor, what it is i don't know. Either 18MP with a lot higher IQ than currently (larger pixels a la 1dx), or the same IQ-per-pixel as the current 7D with more of them (keeping pixel-size the same and fitting more in the same space). If it's 24mp or more current-7D-owners might upgrade, but either option would be a nice upgrade for 60D/xxxD-owners. Keep the rest of the features the same, there's nothing wrong with it.

There are a lot of confusing things in that paragraph. How can the pixel size be kept the same and more of them be put on a APS-C? I'm sure that isn't exactly what you meant.

For me personally the more MP jump Canon makes with a 7DII the less likely I'd upgrade. I'd really like to see a MP drop in the replacement. But honestly, I'm not interested in a 7D II anyway so I'm probably a terrible sample.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 09:02:52 AM »
Hoe there there is micro adjustment for the AF. Canon shouild have make it as a standrd feature accross the entire DSLR line. With that, Canon can sell more fast lense.

I disagree.

I'll wager that less than 1% of the people that own cameras with micro-focus adjustment have actually used it and fewer still people use it properly.

caruser

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 09:26:16 AM »
I'll wager that less than 1% of the people that own cameras with micro-focus adjustment have actually used it and fewer still people use it properly.

To complete the package, the camera should do the adjustment itself, as somebody mentioned here or in another forum, you can use one AF method to calibrate the other, it's just a bit of software that is missing.

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 09:33:27 AM »
Definitely muddies the water a bit.  I would like to jump up from my T2i, and have been on the 7D or 5DmkII fence for a bit.  While I love more MP, if the camera is the 7DMKII and it is still 18MP, then I think for me to jump, it would have to have better ISO, be faster (close to 10fps), and I would like them to step up and offer more in terms of their already solid focus.  They give me Stellar IQ in a APS-C body that lets me shoot solid fashion work but also performs for sports, then it fits my need as an all around. 

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »
If Canon was smart they would outfit the 7Dii with a sensor with the same philosophy as the 1Dx... lower mp count with larger pixels!  ;D

No, that would be suicide! 7D users LIKE having it as a crop sensor camera, and have built their lens line-up (several thousands of dollars of glass, usually) around that line-up.

As has been iterated many times, it would be a HUGE loss of focal length, and would frustrate me hugely!

What is truth?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2011, 09:35:38 AM »

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 09:43:42 AM »
I don't think he means bigger sensor, just APS-C with 14 or 16 Mpix

also: the A77 doesn't fare any worse than a 7D in terms of noise per image (which is the relevant metric); but, being more modern, it could do better, like the NEX-5N for example
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/734%7C0/(brand)/Sony/(appareil2)/737%7C0/(brand2)/Sony/(appareil3)/692%7C0/(brand3)/Canon

edit:
I don't use autofocus (all my lenses are vintage manual) but for anybody that does (and uses lenses faster than f/3.5) I'd never recommend a camera without microadjustment, it is a big, big flaw that the 60D didn't have this (whereas the 50D did)
but it seems to be a marketing decision in order to separate semipro from amateur cameras, so I wouldn't bet on a T4i with microadjustment
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 09:47:03 AM by NormanBates »

MK5GTI

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »
i just hope that Canon will bring Video continuous AF on the T4i, since the majority of the buyer are family picture/video oriented. (as in shooting video for children)

if not, I will wait for the A55 replacement, the A65/77 is too noisy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2011, 10:32:24 AM »