October 20, 2014, 01:01:03 AM

Author Topic: Looking or an Fullframe SLR - Your Experience needed  (Read 5242 times)

AcutancePhotography

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Looking or an Fullframe SLR - Your Experience needed
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 09:23:46 AM »
...I'm just curious, speaking as someone who has never shot stills with a tripod that costs more than about forty bucks.  :)

You should buy a tripod that is good enough for your syle of photograpy.  If a $40 tripod does the job for you, that's the right tripod for your type of photography.  There is no best tripod, each has advantages and disadvantages. 
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 09:23:46 AM »

PhotographerJim

• Power Shot G16
  • Explorer of Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 09:30:15 AM »
I have a 6D with the Canon grip, it doesn't add that much weight or bulk. The 6D makes a brilliant landscape camera, as long as there is decent glass in front of it. The GPS does use power, but not as drastically as some say. No issues shooting all day (even shooting video) with my gripped 6D with GPS on full time. Just don't leave it on overnight or you could loose 5-10% charge.

bmwzimmer

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 09:56:30 AM »
6D with an extra battery or two is much lighter and compact than the extra grip.  If it's a 3rd party grip, you lose the mild weather seal.  The GPS battery drain depends on how easy or difficult it is for the camera to acquire signal.  When camera is off but gps left on, it will "periodically" try to acquire signal and if you are outdoors, it will acquire quickly and will not affect battery too much through the day but if you're in the house or hotel, it takes much longer to acquire (or not acquire) it during the periodic checks and it will drain the battery more. 
Just put the gps function on the quick menu or program it in for a custom function and remember to turn it off or switch back to another shooting function.
6D, Zenitar 16 f/2.8 Fisheye, Rokinon 14mm Cine, 35 f/2 IS, 85 f/1.2L mk2, 24-70 f/2.8L mk2, 70-200 2.8L IS mk1

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »
Let me add my 2 cents... I've been using my 6D for quite a while now.  Pair it with a 17-40L or a 24-105L as cheap combos and you'll never regret it.  It's one hell of a tool for landscape even in low-light.  It's dynamic range is amazing.  You'll have to use it to appreciate it better.

mrzero

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 10:40:31 AM »
I was told to buy an grip, because the 6D´s GPS drains the batteries quite much. Better take an exchance battery in my backpack without an grip?

I would think it would be far easier to take one or two spare charged batteries with you than getting a grip.  You should get a grip because you want a grip, not for just the extra battery.  How long does it take to change a battery on a 6D?  Compare that with the full time bulk and weight of a grip.

More to the point, the grip doesn't offer any added power, other than keeping two charged batteries in there at the same time.  So just spend your money on extra batteries, keep them charged, and swap out as needed.  And deactivate the GPS when you aren't shooting.  I've never even turned mine on, although I would for some nice landscapes or travel photography.
Canon 6d, t1i, 24-70/4L, 20/2.8, 28/1.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.8II, 100/2.8 macro, 70-300/4-5.6, g1x, 430exII, 90ex
Elan 7N with 28-105/3.5-4.5II, Rebel G with 35-70/3.5-4.5, A-1 with 28/2.8, 50/1.8, and 135/3.5

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 10:47:21 AM »
I was told to buy an grip, because the 6D´s GPS drains the batteries quite much. Better take an exchance battery in my backpack without an grip?

I would think it would be far easier to take one or two spare charged batteries with you than getting a grip.  You should get a grip because you want a grip, not for just the extra battery.  How long does it take to change a battery on a 6D?  Compare that with the full time bulk and weight of a grip.

More to the point, the grip doesn't offer any added power, other than keeping two charged batteries in there at the same time.  So just spend your money on extra batteries, keep them charged, and swap out as needed.  And deactivate the GPS when you aren't shooting.  I've never even turned mine on, although I would for some nice landscapes or travel photography.

3rd party grips do allow you to use double a batteries in a pinch and that is a nice option.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 10:53:27 AM »
3rd party grips do allow you to use double a batteries in a pinch and that is a nice option.

The Canon OEM grip also comes with a AA tray. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 10:53:27 AM »

TheAshleyJones

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 11:07:18 AM »
The 6D is certainly very nice, my only disappointment is the ugly moiré in video.    I also haven't noticed the supposedly improved -3eV focusing compared to the 5D3's -2eV - it seems to handle almost identically in very low light.

I would question using a 64G card for stills.  That's a LOT of eggs in one basket.   

650D . 60D . 5D2 .  6D . 5D3
14II . 24II . 35 . 50 . 85II . 100 . 135 . 300
16-35II . 24-70 . 24-105 . 70-200II   .   15  . 12-24

Mr_Canuck

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 11:07:55 AM »
I have a 6D. It is perfect for landscapes. Great sensor, ergonomics, image quality. The centre sensor is all I need, and it's bang on night and day. (I've used Sony apsc/full-frame, and Pentax apsc in past.) All the benefits of the 5D are lost in landscape shooting (and a whole lot of other shooting too, except action shooting).

I prefer the 6D because it's the lightest full-frame DSLR going - easy to use, easy to carry. Perfect grip. I have one extra battery - if you merely want the grip for the batteries and not for vertical hand-held shooting, why a grip for a tripod? Bulk. You should still be able to change batteries even with most tripod plates on the bottom.

I have a Velbon Ultra Lux iL tripod. It fits in a small case and is light. 100 bucks used. I can take 1-minute night shots with no shake with the 6D (70-200/f4 is my biggest lens). But if you want a big heavy tripod to carry around, go for it. Though, if you have a Sigma 50-500 or something, then you'll want to get a sturdy enough tripod that works with that.

I've had Lexar, Transcend and Sandisk cards. All of them could fail. All of them are reliable though with good warranties. Flip a coin and buy the fastest, largest, cheapest one that's on sale (and get more than one - safer with two 32s than one 64). If forced to decide, I'd probably choose Sandisk. Sometimes have had formatting hiccups with Transcend.
6D | Voigt 20 | 40STM | 50/2.5M | 70-200/4is | EX420 | ST-E2 | Velbon ultra lux iL | RX100 — go light, go far...

daniela

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »
Much thanks for all postings!
I own following lenses for landscapes: 12-24 4 Tokina, Canon 28-70 2.8L, 50mm 1.8 (the others are >70mm)
I am looking to get an 24mm 2.8, or are there other lenses that i should buy? (I do not have the money to get an Zeiss or another extraordinary expensive lenses.)

G
Dani

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 12:52:55 PM »
I would question using a 64G card for stills.  That's a LOT of eggs in one basket.

There is no rule that each and every card must fail some day in their lifetime. Therefore having many "baskets" only increases the chance of failure. Switching cards adds even more risk to the mix. You can get your images corrupted by accidentally touching the SD card contacts, or dropping it in unfortunately nasty places :).
For more safety 6D offers a WiFi data transfer connection, so you can "seal" the card door and never use it again, if you like :).
FF + primes !

daemorhedron

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »
Indeed there will always be something new 'just around the corner', but in this case I don't think you'll hear the announcement for several months yet (the big shows for photography/electronics are usually between now and october) and hopefully a realistic availability date of Christmas.

Will be a six month ride, but I personally would say hold off. I think it will be worth the wait. If you have nothing right now, get an EOS M.

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »
Much thanks for all postings!
I own following lenses for landscapes: 12-24 4 Tokina, Canon 28-70 2.8L, 50mm 1.8 (the others are >70mm)
I am looking to get an 24mm 2.8, or are there other lenses that i should buy? (I do not have the money to get an Zeiss or another extraordinary expensive lenses.)

G
Dani

My only must-have landscaping lens suggestion would be the Samyang 14/2.8 UMC. Because it is a killer lens for the price and you don't really need AF for 14mm. Other than that, any sharp lens should do.
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »

e17paul

• Rebel T5i
  • Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
What unfocused said.

Plus, while I have a gripped 5d3 and love the grip, why are you needing a grip? Or is it because you want the dual batteries so you don't have to change in the middle of a field somewhere?

As for the 6D, it's a great camera from everything I've heard. The center AF point is very good, although the rest are meh.

As for memory card, from what I recall, 6D supports up to UHS-1. So pick a card that has UHS-1 support, and then pick you're preferred brand & speed.

Last bit, landscapes. You can do them without a tripod, depending on your style, but if you are going to end up being rather serious about them you should definitely consider a good quality tripod, which will run you $500-600 and up. But, if you just sorta have an interest, leave that for another time. Also get a cable release and learn about mirror lockup.

Thanks... wil buy an UHS-I.
I own an Manfrotto 055XProb with an good 3 way head and an Sirui N-2204 carbon tripod. My 7D with my 100-400 oder 70-200 2.8 are very stable on thess tripods. I own an wireless shutter release too

+1 to Drizzt321. Also, I have used UHS-1 of various speeds, the UHS-1 standard simply specifies a minimum standard. There is a noticable speed difference even just saving/viewing stills with a faster card. Cost does of course increase with the faster speed, so it depends upon need and budget.

I'm happy with my 6D for landscape and sometimes dark interiors.
6D, 5(film)x2, 650(film)x2, Canonet QL19, EF 15/2.8, 24/2.8 IS, 50/2.5 & 70-300/4-5.6L
Fotodiox Pro OM/Eos adapter, Olympus OM-10, Zuiko 24/2.8, 50/1.4 & 135/2.8, Ensinor 28/2.8, XA/2, Mju 410
Apple iPhone 6 & iPad 2. I've only listed the equipment I still use for photography!

e17paul

• Rebel T5i
  • Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 01:14:11 PM »

+1

I always carry a spare. I keep GPS on, Wifi off and mainly use the optical VF - and the battery seems to drop fast. Using Live view will suck power too, I keep it to a minimum.

Good advice on the OEM battery, the 6D is unhappy with third party batteries. I have one which the camera now refuses to recognise, so replaced it with OEM at higher price.
6D, 5(film)x2, 650(film)x2, Canonet QL19, EF 15/2.8, 24/2.8 IS, 50/2.5 & 70-300/4-5.6L
Fotodiox Pro OM/Eos adapter, Olympus OM-10, Zuiko 24/2.8, 50/1.4 & 135/2.8, Ensinor 28/2.8, XA/2, Mju 410
Apple iPhone 6 & iPad 2. I've only listed the equipment I still use for photography!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 01:14:11 PM »