June 21, 2018, 04:54:15 AM

Author Topic: The Next "L" Lens Announcement Will be the... [CR2]  (Read 36019 times)

AcutancePhotography

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: The Next \
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »
will be quite a bit more expensive than the current and aging version.</p>

I fear that this is the only part of the rumour that we can count on.  :-\
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »

rrcphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2014, 12:25:30 PM »
Yay!  new 100-400!   :)

Yay! 7D 2!  :)

Booo! Photokina?  September?  Really?

Price?  Whatever. It'll be expensive in the UK and cheap in the USA, probably $ for £, but might help to knock the price of the existing one down a bit.

I appreciate that this might be a bit hemisphereist, but September is almost winter up here in the northern hemisphere.  A release before then would be sooo much better  :(

most major releases by canon and also nikon are done in august.

rrcphoto

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2014, 12:26:46 PM »
will be quite a bit more expensive than the current and aging version.</p>

I fear that this is the only part of the rumour that we can count on.  :-\

it should be .. the original MSRP of the 100-400L is around 2300 USD or so.

it's been in manufacturing for 16 years, all the R&D costs have been amortized and paid off long time ago.

randybsc

• Canonflex
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »
I first rented the 100-400 lens about 4 years ago for rugby. Really fell in love with the lens. Kept hearing about the new lens that was "about to be released" so I waited. I have waited for so many years I am pretty sure if the price is a typical Canon price then I will just drop this as a must lens for me. I will have to try out the tamron 150-600 instead. I am not a pro, so if I get a decent quality build I would be fine with the images that I have seen released. I know tons of professionals never buy non Canon lenses for their cameras. Maybe canon is fine with that, with their current price structure however they will miss out on a large market for their lenses.

dolina

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2014, 12:30:21 PM »
What about the 135/2 and 400/5.6 replacements?
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

thedman

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »

Daniel Flather

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »
January 30, 2009.

Best part on that page:

EF 200-400 f/4L IS
This seems to be a lens a lot of people would like, I just don’t think a lot of those people would pony up the $4K-$5K it would cost. I haven’t heard any rumor about such a lens being in development.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2014, 12:42:55 PM »

MTL18

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »
I first rented the 100-400 lens about 4 years ago for rugby. Really fell in love with the lens. Kept hearing about the new lens that was "about to be released" so I waited. I have waited for so many years I am pretty sure if the price is a typical Canon price then I will just drop this as a must lens for me. I will have to try out the tamron 150-600 instead. I am not a pro, so if I get a decent quality build I would be fine with the images that I have seen released. I know tons of professionals never buy non Canon lenses for their cameras. Maybe canon is fine with that, with their current price structure however they will miss out on a large market for their lenses.

I will be waiting for comparisons of these 2 lenses myself before spending a penny. I am also an amateur, and the $1250.00 price tag (CDN) of the Tamron makes it very attractive. I'd be surprised if the new Canon is below $2500 so it would have to be phenomenally better to overshadow both cost and extra reach which favours the Tamron.

rrcphoto

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2014, 02:33:50 PM »

I will be waiting for comparisons of these 2 lenses myself before spending a penny. I am also an amateur, and the $1250.00 price tag (CDN) of the Tamron makes it very attractive. I'd be surprised if the new Canon is below $2500 so it would have to be phenomenally better to overshadow both cost and extra reach which favours the Tamron.

canon's never worried about that in the past, and i doubt they will start.

you pay for better QA, support and service.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2014, 02:40:14 PM »
...be worth it as well if they can maintain a constant f/4.

You realize how nutty that request is?  It would be bigger (and more expensive) than the 200-400/4.

Yeah again and again I see comments where people are like I hate variable aperture zooms, that is not fitting for L, they need to just make them constant aperture. OK, then how do you like your f/5.6 to f/5.6 100-400L II then!  ;)

People just don't seem to get that you can't just magically decide to make something maintain f/4 or f/2.8 or whatnot. The only way to do it to make a DIFFERENT, much larger and heavier (well baring DO type weirdo technology  ;D) lens. If you see a variable aperture zoom, be thankful! Since the only other option was to just decided to not let it access a faster aperture at the wider end or to have cut off range at the long end and say produced a 16-30 f/4 instead of a 16-30-50 f/4 to f4 to f/5.6.

Sabaki

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2014, 02:41:38 PM »
Is Canon's pricing of the recently released Canon E-FS 10-18 and Canon EF 16-35 f/4.0 and indicator of things to come?
Perhaps a realization that the way cheaper third party lenses are decent enough performers to drive their prices down?
Let's see what pricing pattern the next few releases bring.
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EOS 7D mkII | Canon EF 16-35mmL f/4.0 IS | Canon 24-70mmL f/2.8 II | Canon 70-200mmL f/4.0 IS | Canon TS-E 24mmL f3.5 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 100mmL | Canon 400 f/5.6 | Canon MP-E65

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2014, 02:49:28 PM »
I will believe it when I see it ...

Still, what is the attraction of releasing it at Photokina? A lot of tech releases have moved away from the show schedule. I would think that June would be the optimal date to release a 7D2+100-400, and sell it to every single summer-holiday-safari goer in the world.

Unfortunately, Canon's production isn't as market friendly as that. Otherwise, the 5DIII would have been released before the wedding season started....but it didn't and that was that. This lens, like giving birth to a baby will be out when it's good and ready and there is nothing we can do about it other than wait, hope and dream. In the mean time...there are always ducks to photograph.

Yeah the Canon release schedule often works out a mess for those in the seasonal parts of the Northern hemisphere (where actually most of their buyers are). Fall is still a pretty big season here, but they started shifting the August released until late Novemember by which time oh great so now after even fall sports are pretty much over, fall weddings are pretty much over, fall foliage is pretty much over, big summer trips to cool scenic places are over.... now when there is no urgency at all to get any new equipment, NOW is the time you release??????? Do they really think the big cameras and glass are Christmas stocking stuffer type items??

I was hoping they had come to their sense with the 5D3 (spring release) but now it just seems that was just a mistake where the troubles caused it to have to have been pushed back from originally scheduled ultra late fall release.

I really don't get their sense of timing.

The one plus side is it does let one more easily just wait half a year at that point until next spring by which time some of the early adopter pricing has worn off. But you'd think that would be the LAST thing they'd want. Don't they get that if they put it out in the spring or summer that they will lure in people to nab it at full release price because they want some new equipment right before their huge summer trip or the new wedding season or for the summer league and fall sports shooting seasons or at least the fall foliage vacation? Those are the sorts of things that can lure people into getting suckered into full intro pricing.  ;D

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2014, 02:50:40 PM »
I will believe it when I see it ...

Still, what is the attraction of releasing it at Photokina? A lot of tech releases have moved away from the show schedule. I would think that June would be the optimal date to release a 7D2+100-400, and sell it to every single summer-holiday-safari goer in the world.

Unfortunately, Canon's production isn't as market friendly as that. Otherwise, the 5DIII would have been released before the wedding season started....but it didn't and that was that. This lens, like giving birth to a baby will be out when it's good and ready and there is nothing we can do about it other than wait, hope and dream. In the mean time...there are always ducks to photograph.

Actualky the 5D3 was one of their only recent releases where the timing ended up making any sense at all, Yeah not quite in time for all of the wedding season, but at least in time for a decent chunk of it and for all the summer vacation, fall sports.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2014, 02:50:40 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2014, 02:53:59 PM »
January 30, 2009.

oh man
one of the few times CR2 has been totally, utterly wrong

geonix

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »
So we will really have to wait for the 7D2 until September?? That is no good rumor to me.   :( That is still three and half months. But at least I will be able to visit photokina, probably.

And the worst thing is: the recent days I was really tempted to be really tempted by the 5D Mark III. So Canon's plan to lure people to full frame bodies (the actual reason for the so looong delay of the 7D2) was almost working on me. But I resited. Hear me Canon? I RESISTED! I WILL NOT BUY ANY CANON BODY UNTIL THE 7D2 COMES OUT! ;D :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2014, 03:33:01 PM »