October 20, 2014, 09:44:37 PM

Author Topic: Changing lenses quickly or safely in the field  (Read 6289 times)

ianhar

Re: Changing lenses quickly or safely in the field
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 11:23:04 AM »
However precaution you take, dust will find it way while changing lens. For me its either i used my lowepro lens exchanger, or if i did not bring it i just do it in a corner of a wall to minimise wind etc. the most important step is when i get back. I will clean all my lens and sensor with a blower thoroughly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 11:23:04 AM »

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »
If you have the room and aren't in motion, you can use something like the Lowepro Flipside bag.  I have the 300 model.  I can keep that hanging in front of me quite comfortably while plopping my lenses in and out.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 12:06:40 PM »
I generally use zooms in the field, even taking two bodies to avoid changing lenses.  If the wind is blowing around here, dust and debris from the hundreds of miles of farms is everywhere and can blow right into the camera.  Its not that bad all the time, but when the plowing is done in Spring and the Fall, the sky turns brown.

ferdi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 12:13:44 PM »
Unfortunately that video does not work for me. I came across another video about the ThinkTank Retrospective Lens Changer 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAH86w4Tf38
These kind of bags look pretty useful to me if you are carrying just one camera. If you have two then your other lenses will likely be in a backpack, another bag would get in the way.

I usually take only one bag with me that's big enough for a camera with mounted lens and 1 other lens. The spare lens is placed lens down with both caps on, rear one not too tight else I can't unscrew it with 1 hand. Red dot aligned to the top so I can mount it within a second after removing the cap, and even blind if I keep the top of the bag down because of the weather. Having mostly 77mm threads makes looking for the front cap easy too.
1D IV, 5D III, 5D II, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 24-105L, 70-200L IS II, 300L IS, Σ 50, Σ 85, 1.4x III, 580EX II, 600EX-RT

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »
I take a lens off, hold it between my legs, and place the new lens on, then replace the rear cap, and put it back to wherever it got it from. Usually, I reserve this method for my larger lenses. My smaller lenses I hold in the crook of my arm as I pop them about.
What is truth?

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
I'm curious. How many of you switch off the camera in-between swapping lenses?
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »

I do (usually, but sometimes I forget...).  Also, I switch off when changing the CF card.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 05:24:14 PM »

ianhar

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 05:32:24 PM »
I lost files before when i change a cf without turning it off. Since then i always turn my camera off to do anything

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »

Always, for EF-mount lenses. I read somewhere (probably in a lens manual) that taking the lens off while the IS is active can damage the IS, so to be safe I just turn the whole camera off.
For manual focus, old lenses on adapter, lensbaby, pinhole, it doesn't matter so much, depends on if I remember.

For generally changing, i've got a Lowepro 350AW backpack. It's not as fast as one of the other types or brands, but I prefer it as a travel pack and it takes my laptop. I just put it flat on the ground, open the flap, face the lens into a pocket and disconnect it, swap the lens caps over, then put the body on the new one, this way the body stays pointed downwards the whole time.
I've got big enough hands that I can hold everything standing up if I have to, even swapping my biggest lenses (like 70-300L to Pentacon Six-mount Zeiss 180/2.8) I can accomplish without dropping or putting down anything.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »

I have forgotten several (many!) times to turn off the camera when changing lenses and even when removing the CF card but normally it's because I've put the camera down for a few minutes so technically it was off I suppose.

mreco99

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2011, 05:28:44 AM »
However precaution you take, dust will find it way while changing lens. For me its either i used my lowepro lens exchanger, or if i did not bring it i just do it in a corner of a wall to minimise wind etc. the most important step is when i get back. I will clean all my lens and sensor with a blower thoroughly.

I have never cleaned or had cleaned a sensor. My old canon 450d was used for 3 years never cleaned. Yes i do change lenses.
Whats the chances its dirty?
Is it safe to really clean it yourself? and whats the best way?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2011, 02:31:54 PM »
I have never cleaned or had cleaned a sensor. My old canon 450d was used for 3 years never cleaned. Yes i do change lenses.
Whats the chances its dirty?
Is it safe to really clean it yourself? and whats the best way?

Possible, but maybe not.  Mount a lens longer than 50mm, stop it all the way down (f/22 or lower), set to manual focus and defocus the lens, and shoot a bright, featureless subject (a clear blue sky, clean wall or sheet of paper, etc.).  If you see spots, that's sensor dust.

It is safe to clean it yourself, have a fully charged battery, activate the manual sensor cleaning mode in settings, remove lens with camera pointing down.  First thing to try is blowing it off with a rocket blower (not canned air!!).  If that doesn't work, use a commercial product.  Personally, I use a Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly 724 Super Bright. 

Your 450D has a built-in sensor cleaning system.  So do our 5DII's, and my 7D does, too.  I've had the 7D longer, and used it in worse conditions, and it has no dust.  OTOH, I've cleaned my 5DII several times, and it needs it again.  So, even if your 450D is clean, the FF sensor seems to attract more dust (Canon thinks so, too, which is why the 1D X is getting an updated self-cleaning system for the sensor).

mreco99

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 04:59:15 PM »
thanks neuro, like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenspen-HURRICANE-Rocket-style-Sensor-Dust-BLOWER-/160675746504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25690552c8
If you touch the sensor at all, will it get damaged? or can you give it a light brush?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 05:20:45 PM by mreco99 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2011, 04:59:15 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »
thanks neuro, like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenspen-HURRICANE-Rocket-style-Sensor-Dust-BLOWER-/160675746504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item25690552c8
If you touch the sensor at all, will it get damaged? or can you give it a light brush?

Yep, that's the same as a rocket blower.   If you touch the sensor with the tip of that, it might get damaged (although technically, you'd be touching the AA filter, not the sensor itself).  If you touch it with your fingertip, or anything you're touched with your fingers, the oils will be very, very difficult to remove.

But, if you touch the sensor lightly with a delicate brush or swab that's designed to clean a sensor, you will not damage it.

ianhar

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
It depends on the environment where you live and do your shooting. Dusty environment could lead more dust going in while changing lens.

I have yet clean my 7d sensor but my 5d need to be clean soon. It is easy to check if your sensor is dirty or not. You might not see at wide apperture as in does not give much focusing layer and detail. But if you shoot at really narrow aperture say 16 or 22 you will see it. I always check my sensor before going on major shoot. Shoot at blank white canvas or wall, and voila all the dust specks can be seen.

There are a lot of sensor cleanin kit out there. Be very carful when cleaning your sensor. If you are not too sure jus send it to the shop and they will do it for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »