September 01, 2014, 10:48:41 AM

Author Topic: Changing lenses quickly or safely in the field  (Read 6091 times)

mreco99

Changing lenses quickly or safely in the field
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:35:28 AM »
Hi, Its always been a bit of a pain swapping lenses for me.

Whats your trick, method or gadget that helps?
Heres a nice video i found, of a sub 10 second change from taking one picture to the next.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoNAw3zn-nY&feature=related
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:51:51 AM by mreco99 »

canon rumors FORUM

Changing lenses quickly or safely in the field
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:35:28 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Changing lenses quickly or safely in the field
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:46:17 AM »
If there's a stable, flat, clean surface handy, no problem. The difficulty is with midair changes.  I like the Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange 200 AW case for that, I wear it on a Lowepro Deluxe Technical Belt. The case holds up to a 70-200/2.8 or 100-400, and when opened there's a second compartment for a standard zoom, i.e. the case holds both lenses while open.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Flake

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 05:47:57 AM »
The trouble with the video is that both lenses are similar sized, if he's had to change to a heavier longer lens he wouldn't be able to grip it near the lens mount with a couple of fingers - a recipe for broken kit.  Do it properly take an extra couple of seconds and have peace of mind!

Of course the easiest way around this is not to bother changing lenses by buying a 28 - 300mm IS L !  One example of this was a steam train comming towards us.  I got loads of nice shots, especially at the long end, but as it got closer the apparant speed increases and the guys with standard zooms managed just one shot, and most of those weren't very good.  Not a chance of changing lenses quickly enough in that situation.

mreco99

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:51:27 AM »
If there's a stable, flat, clean surface handy, no problem. The difficulty is with midair changes.  I like the Lowepro S&F Lens Exchange 200 AW case for that, I wear it on a Lowepro Deluxe Technical Belt. The case holds up to a 70-200/2.8 or 100-400, and when opened there's a second compartment for a standard zoom, i.e. the case holds both lenses while open.

Ive seen that lowepro changer! is it strong\comfortable enough with a heavy 70-200/2.8 hanging in it for a while?

mreco99

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 06:00:14 AM »
Of course the easiest way around this is not to bother changing lenses by buying a 28 - 300mm IS L !  One example of this was a steam train comming towards us.  I got loads of nice shots, especially at the long end, but as it got closer the apparant speed increases and the guys with standard zooms managed just one shot, and most of those weren't very good.  Not a chance of changing lenses quickly enough in that situation.
Image quality is more important to me than convenience + the 28-300 doesnt take the canon extenders. I wonder how much a lens would be thats as good as the 70-200/2.8 but with a 28-300 range lol, hmm

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:03:13 AM »
And also noticed no dust caps for the end of the lens .  I for one would not really be happy with with a group of lenses rolling around in a bag, or to me it really looks like he is just switching from two lenses, I really was not paying that much attention. 

I do a lot of switching from a 50 1.4, 70-200 f/4, 18-135, and 10-22.  Different filter sizes in there as well.  I keep the current dust cap in my jacket pocket, and do something similar, but I take the extra time to keep both ends covered.  I have also been shooting a lot on a tripod, and one of the ones I use has adapters for quickly changing, and I picked up a couple extra, so I can swap from the collar mount of the 70-200 to the camera mount for other lenses. 

This is also the prime case for a back up camera.  Most photogs I see that do a ton of switching are wearing to cameras and they have their choice of lenses down to two for the most part

Flake

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 06:35:20 AM »
Image quality is more important to me than convenience + the 28-300 doesnt take the canon extenders. I wonder how much a lens would be thats as good as the 70-200/2.8 but with a 28-300 range lol, hmm

One quote that was said to me - the best camera you have is the one which you have with you at the time, so even if that's just a camera phone you have to do what you can with it.  But if your work is of such exceptional brilliance that commercial acceptability as a benchmark is no longer good enough, you are using the wrong system!  There are plenty of camera manufacturers around such as Leica and their S2 or Hasselblad, if you really are that good that you require the very best Canon isn't really for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 06:35:20 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 06:41:35 AM »
Carry 2 bodies with lens mounted.

My nature load, 7D+70-200f2.8IS II, 7D+400 f2.8IS

My walkabout load, 7D+70-300L , 5DII+24-104F4

mreco99

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 07:15:57 AM »

One quote that was said to me - the best camera you have is the one which you have with you at the time, so even if that's just a camera phone you have to do what you can with it.  But if your work is of such exceptional brilliance that commercial acceptability as a benchmark is no longer good enough, you are using the wrong system!  There are plenty of camera manufacturers around such as Leica and their S2 or Hasselblad, if you really are that good that you require the very best Canon isn't really for you.

you try getting past a stock photo reviewer with a camera phone image.

Picsfor

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 07:18:20 AM »
the 2 body solution is without a doubt the best option - for the most part, it eliminates lens changes and the set up is created at home.

When i had the single body my lens change over system was always the same.
Hold camera body so lens is pointing to the ground.
Have replacement lens next to ready to fit.
Remove lens off body (dust doesn't float upwards!) and place lens down safely.
Remove dust cap and fit new lens.
Clean lens just removed before applying dust cap.

After a bit of practice i've found this almost always stops any dust finding its way to the sensor. I always try to do it in a spot where the wind is less likely to have an impact.

As always, when i get home, out comes the rocket blower etc...

Flake

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 07:37:19 AM »

you try getting past a stock photo reviewer with a camera phone image.

Well you certainly won't get past the QC for the general library, but they will make it onto any of the news stock images especially if they're exclusive.

One example of camera phone that should have made tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars was the only shots of the aircraft which came down in the Hudson river, the images were posted onto a site like twitter (public forum) and were then free to all users who took full avantage to circulate them around the worlds press.

In the UK a recent horrific car pile up & fire was videod using mobile and again it was the only footage.

Stock QC is quite stringent, images can end up billboard size in high res - once you've reached this standard though, what is the point of going further?  The majority of photographers can't even QC their images properly anyway, then say they want the best kit the market can provide!

DramaticIrony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 09:05:32 AM »
Learning to juggle helps :)

I would agree with previous replies - two bodies is a great help, and with the RS DR-1 Double Strap from Black Rapid, there are no tangles, which is great

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 09:22:08 AM »
Ive seen that lowepro changer! is it strong\comfortable enough with a heavy 70-200/2.8 hanging in it for a while?

Yes, it is - I use it with either my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II or 100-400mm.  The belt is pretty comfortable, too - I often hang 2-3 lens cases on it and wear it hiking. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 09:22:08 AM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 10:01:29 AM »
Lord, people like to over complicate things.  The way I change lenses is to have a good bag on my side with the top open, remove lens on camera, put in it's proper place in the bag.  Move the end cap from the new lens to the old lens, install the new lens on the camera.  With a good camera strap, you can do this quickly with one hand, other hand holding onto the side of the mountain/screaming 5 year old/sidearm etc.

Now when I switched from Nikon to Canon a few years ago, and the lenses have to turn in a different direction, things got difficult for a while.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »
the 2 body solution is without a doubt the best option - for the most part, it eliminates lens changes and the set up is created at home.

When i had the single body my lens change over system was always the same.
Hold camera body so lens is pointing to the ground.
Have replacement lens next to ready to fit.
Remove lens off body (dust doesn't float upwards!) and place lens down safely.
Remove dust cap and fit new lens.
Clean lens just removed before applying dust cap.

After a bit of practice i've found this almost always stops any dust finding its way to the sensor. I always try to do it in a spot where the wind is less likely to have an impact.

As always, when i get home, out comes the rocket blower etc...

This is one of the best ways to switch lenses while minimizing dust problems. Just to add my two cents:

- Try to get down on one knee when switching if you're out in the open and there's plenty of room. (reduces falling distance for dropped lenses in case you fumble)
- Even better, have the camera bag right under you (serves as a cushion for the lens in case you fumble)

Of course, doing this in mud or swamp is probably not a good idea, but for most places it should work well.
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »