September 21, 2014, 06:38:59 AM

Author Topic: New Nikon D800s... Why?  (Read 5091 times)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
New Nikon D800s... Why?
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »
Just saw this link going around the rumor sites:
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/05/21/nikon-800s-reported-replace-d800-d800e-june/

And I had a question.  Why does Canon employ a longer lifecycle on the more flagship bodies like the 1D, 5D, 7D, etc. (in fairness, usually with larger functional upgrades when they do rev those designs) when Nikon seems to put out somewhat watered down upgrades on a more regular basis? 

I've been reviewing Northlight's nice release timeline (http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/rumours.html#nikon_timeline) and it looks like other than the D300S line, Nikon's been releasing the more premium bodies at a pretty steady 2-3 year clip while Canon guys are on a 3-5 year cycle.

I'm not calling one company's approach better than the other -- I was just curious.  Why rev the D800 at this point in time?  Is it deemed in desperate need of an upgrade compared to the 5D3 right now?  A big AF upgrade would be great for Nikon users, but why not wait until the next super-duper FF sensor rolls out and make a bigger splash then?

- A

canon rumors FORUM

New Nikon D800s... Why?
« on: May 21, 2014, 02:53:33 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: New Nikon D800s... Why?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:52:40 PM »
Why rev the D800 at this point in time?  Is it deemed in desperate need of an upgrade compared to the 5D3 right now? 

The 5DIII is selling better.  Nikon is projecting much bigger 2014 losses than Canon.  "Desparate" is probably a reasonable characterization...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jeffa4444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:18:35 PM »
Canon is not projecting a loss in 2014.
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

hajiaru

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »
canon Sensors are behind the Sonys

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »
Canon is not projecting a loss in 2014.

For cameras they are.  1Q14 had a 6.7% drop in revenue from camera sales.  Projections for FY2014 are -1% / -20% for ILC / compact unit sales, respectively, and an 8.2% drop in revenue from camera sales.

Projected gains in their office and industrial divisions more than offset the projected losses from camera sales, so a modest overall company gain is projected for FY2014.

Full details here: http://www.canon.com/ir/conference/pdf/conf2014q1e.pdf

Nikon is projecting a 6% loss in ILC sales, compared to Canon forecasted 1% drop.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Orangutan

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 11:41:21 PM »
canon Sensors are behind the Sonys

And...????

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 12:35:31 AM »
Some buyers want the latest and greatest, even though there is little difference.  The cost to produce a major upgrade is high, while putting a new badge on a camera and adding a few software features, as well as upgrading the processer is a cheap fix, and can generate a lot of sales from those who think they are getting the latest thing.

A good example od this is Canon and Nikon putting a new badge on the same entry level cameras each year, but adding little of substance.  This is very effective for new entry buyers, presumably the more experienced camera users are more aware of what is happening.

That may not always be the case.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 12:35:31 AM »

AcutancePhotography

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 07:31:21 AM »
It may also be that Nikon wants to consolidate the current D800 and D800E into one camera.  It really did not make sense for Nikon to have both the 800 and 800E and perhaps by coming out with a "new" D800S instead of producing two separate but almost identical bodies is cheaper and a better business decision.

Very few people who currently have the D800 or D800 will be buying this new D800S unless they were already planning on getting another one.  It just does not seem to be a good upgrade worth the money.  Now if someone wants to move from a crop to a FF camera, going directly to the D800S makes sense.

ONe of the biggest differences is the incorporation of Wi-Fi which is of interest to some photographers but not to others.  It will be interesting to see how well the WiFi works pushing out 41mb data files.  Thats a lotta data!
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

lintoni

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 09:03:54 AM »
It may also be that Nikon wants to consolidate the current D800 and D800E into one camera.  It really did not make sense for Nikon to have both the 800 and 800E and perhaps by coming out with a "new" D800S instead of producing two separate but almost identical bodies is cheaper and a better business decision.

Very few people who currently have the D800 or D800 will be buying this new D800S unless they were already planning on getting another one.  It just does not seem to be a good upgrade worth the money.  Now if someone wants to move from a crop to a FF camera, going directly to the D800S makes sense.

ONe of the biggest differences is the incorporation of Wi-Fi which is of interest to some photographers but not to others.  It will be interesting to see how well the WiFi works pushing out 41mb data files.  Thats a lotta data!
The article explicitly states no new built in wifi, but the addition of GPS.

New Nikon D800s... Why (in a forum named EOS Bodies)?

EOS 5D iii, EOS 5, EOS 30, EF17-40L, EF24-105L, EF100-400L, EF100 f/2.8 macro, Samyang 14 f/2.8, 550EX, Magic Lantern

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 11:00:30 AM »
A good example od this is Canon and Nikon putting a new badge on the same entry level cameras each year, but adding little of substance.  This is very effective for new entry buyers, presumably the more experienced camera users are more aware of what is happening.

Agree, but why does Nikon do that in such a performance-hungry space as the highest end APS-C and all their FF cameras?  That end of the market is dominated by people in forums like these -- pros and (discerning) enthusiasts who put a ton of stock in testing and reviews.  Those folks generally don't snap up gear because it's new, but because it has terrific upgrades:

1DX --> high framerate FF
5D3 --> comprehensive AF upgrade + a headphone jack
70D --> dual-pixel AF
7D2 --> presumed to have a much better sensor

Let me put this another way:  when Canon does take so long to upgrade its segments, the areas to improve are more clearly defined and demand for those improvements is built up a bit.  When is the last time Canon put out a higher-end body (say $1250+, $1500+) where people were scratching their heads at the announcement and wondering why it was happening?

- A

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 11:03:02 AM »

Even carrying two lines for AA filtering reasons seems nutty.  Is a hardware selectable 'AA filter defeat' feature not possible?  That's an upgrade some folks might actually jump for.

- A

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 11:04:02 AM »
New Nikon D800s... Why (in a forum named EOS Bodies)?

It's a development pipeline discussion, not a Nikon discussion.   :P

- A

AcutancePhotography

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »
The article explicitly states no new built in wifi, but the addition of GPS.

You are correct.  I got the two confused. 
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 12:18:10 PM »
The Nikon "S" models with incremental change must be kind of a bumber for those who own the pre-S models which are no longer latest and greatest (D800, D800E, D600, D4, etc).  On the other hand, I would welcome the price drop I expect to see for Nikon D800E on fleeBay.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »
The Nikon "S" models with incremental change must be kind of a bumber for those who own the pre-S models which are no longer latest and greatest (D800, D800E, D600, D4, etc).  On the other hand, I would welcome the price drop I expect to see for Nikon D800E on fleeBay.

New means a newer latest and greatest, sure, but if the new offering isn't super impactful:

1) Does having latest and (just a little bit more) greatest really mean much in this near-top-end of the market?  For these kind of bodies, for every 'look at me with the latest and greatest' enthusiast-in-a-forum shooter, there are likely a higher number of pros rolling their eyes at that mentality.

2) Do you really expect D800/D800E prices to plummet when those cameras may be 98% as powerful/useful as the new offering?  We're not hearing of a new sensor or major upgrade to burst-rate, low-light performance, etc.

I don't mean to pick on drjlo here (and please forgive me if it felt that way).  Asking the group now -- my primary question remains unanswered: on the pro end of bodies, why have a watered-down mini-upgrade when the pro community is so on-top of performance data and reviews?  Even if Nikon is hurting this quarter/year/etc., inefficiently churning out 3% better bodies surely won't help that, will it?

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 01:31:06 PM »