June 21, 2018, 04:30:10 PM

Author Topic: Sigma 50mm Art 1.4 Focusing problems  (Read 102194 times)

LovePhotography

• EOS M5
  • Texas Not Taxes.
Re: Sigma 50mm Art 1.4 Focusing problems
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2014, 12:13:12 AM »
Is this also a problem with 6D bodies, or primarily 5DIII's? Thx

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2014, 12:13:12 AM »

Eldar

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Flickr
« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2014, 12:57:01 AM »
Is this also a problem with 6D bodies, or primarily 5DIII's? Thx
I have had two copies, which have been tested on 5D, 5DII, 5DIII and 1DX. The lenses performed the same way on all bodies. The first copy was totally off and useless. The second was better, but still sufficiently unstable to be useless. I have now returned it and got my money back. I also have a 35/1.4 Art. Same problem there, with unstable AF. I bought the dock to try to help out the situation, but you cannot adjust for instability.

I do not understand how Sigma can continue to ship these lenses to customers. Their quality control is clearly insufficient and unless something radical happens and it is well documented, I have bought my last Sigma. I really wanted the 50 Art, because of the optical performance, which, when focus is right, is outstanding.

infared

• EOS 5DS R
  • Kodak Brownie!
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2014, 02:40:18 AM »
I have a 35mm Art as well and it was great right out of the box. ..I plan on keeping both lenses as they (when working as designed) are incredible creative tools...but I have to agree, Sigma needs to do that last 10% and get a serious grip on quality control??? It is nonsense to spend $950 on a 50mm lens and then have to wonder and test and calibrate to see if your particular copy is worth keeping. 
I wonder what was the cause of the extreme difference I had between my two copies of the lens???? Perplexing to say the least.  ..I am wowed when I look at the images that the lens can create, so the whole situation is a shame for all of us.
5D III +BG, 5D IV +BG, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Rokinon 15mm f/2.4,  Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f/1.2L,  Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II & 1.4x III

pwp

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2014, 05:19:56 AM »
I have never owned a Sigma lens with focusing problems.  But then...I've never owned a Sigma lens.  :P

I have tried a couple, and found the focus to be erratic on both. 

I think it's fair to say that some lenses have focus issues, across all brands.  The proportion of those problematic lenses does seem higher with Sigma.

I had the original Sigma 50mm f/1.4 and it was so erratic I  never built enough trust in it to actually use it on a job. Sometimes it was crazy sharp even under f/2. I had high hopes for the 50mm Art, but it looks like a no-go too.

But it's not just Sigma. My most erratic lens is the occasionally awesome 24 f/1.4II. I really wanted to love this lens, but it's in the same class as my Sigma 50 f/1.4...can't be trusted on a paying job.

-pw

switters

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2014, 02:19:03 PM »

Again, as I've stated previously, along with the others having this problem, it cannot be user calibrated because it's only off center points having the issue and any calibration gets applied to all focus points, throwing the center point(s) out. Neither in camera AFMA nor the sigma dock can fix this issue, and sigma service has stated that they cannot fix it either until the sigma corporation finishes writing the software necessary to do it with (note: they said it's software to be used at the service centers, so it will still not be a user serviceable issue). At least it sounds like they are working towards making it fixable, god knows how long that will take.

Interesting. I just came to the forum to post exactly the same issue with the 35A I have. My first two copies were so far off that I had to return them; I used both FoCal and the dock to calibrate them, but they couldn't even focus properly with center point and a focus target with camera mounted on a tripod.

My third copy is much better. I was able to use the dock along with FoCal to get it consistent using center-point focus, though it did need large adjustments (something like +9, +5, +4, +3 IIRC).

However, when using outer focus points, it's ridiculously off. It will focus on an object a foot in front of what I'm actually focusing on—it's not even close. For example, I took some shots of my daughter sitting on the couch holding a friend's newborn on her lap. Even though I was focusing on my daughter's eyes (with a cross-focus point a little left and above center), the lens decided to focus on the baby's face... which was a good 8-10" in front of my daughter's eyes, and at least 12-16" below.

Like everyone else, I am blown away by the sharpness and clarity of the 35A when it hits. But being forced to use the center focus point in order to get those results is a dealbreaker. 90% of the pictures I take are of people that are moving. Focus and recompose is not an option.

So I am selling my 35A and buying a 35 IS. And as excited as I was about the 50A, I'm going to pass on that as well. Still hoping Canon will come out with a 50 IS or revamped 50/1.4. In the meantime, may just skip up to the 85/1.8 and have a 35/85 combo with two small, compact lenses. This appeals to me because my main workhorses are the 24-70 II and the 70–200 IS.

IsaacImage

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • www.IsaacImage.com
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2014, 12:45:06 AM »

Again, as I've stated previously, along with the others having this problem, it cannot be user calibrated because it's only off center points having the issue and any calibration gets applied to all focus points, throwing the center point(s) out. Neither in camera AFMA nor the sigma dock can fix this issue, and sigma service has stated that they cannot fix it either until the sigma corporation finishes writing the software necessary to do it with (note: they said it's software to be used at the service centers, so it will still not be a user serviceable issue). At least it sounds like they are working towards making it fixable, god knows how long that will take.

Interesting. I just came to the forum to post exactly the same issue with the 35A I have. My first two copies were so far off that I had to return them; I used both FoCal and the dock to calibrate them, but they couldn't even focus properly with center point and a focus target with camera mounted on a tripod.

My third copy is much better. I was able to use the dock along with FoCal to get it consistent using center-point focus, though it did need large adjustments (something like +9, +5, +4, +3 IIRC).

However, when using outer focus points, it's ridiculously off. It will focus on an object a foot in front of what I'm actually focusing on—it's not even close. For example, I took some shots of my daughter sitting on the couch holding a friend's newborn on her lap. Even though I was focusing on my daughter's eyes (with a cross-focus point a little left and above center), the lens decided to focus on the baby's face... which was a good 8-10" in front of my daughter's eyes, and at least 12-16" below.

Like everyone else, I am blown away by the sharpness and clarity of the 35A when it hits. But being forced to use the center focus point in order to get those results is a dealbreaker. 90% of the pictures I take are of people that are moving. Focus and recompose is not an option.

So I am selling my 35A and buying a 35 IS. And as excited as I was about the 50A, I'm going to pass on that as well. Still hoping Canon will come out with a 50 IS or revamped 50/1.4. In the meantime, may just skip up to the 85/1.8 and have a 35/85 combo with two small, compact lenses. This appeals to me because my main workhorses are the 24-70 II and the 70–200 IS.

My 35 A actually perfect ;)
Even guys at Sigma service were surprised ;)

Anyone have a success with latest  batch of 50A ?

candyman

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • My Flickr website
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2014, 05:42:57 AM »

My 35 A actually perfect ;)
Even guys at Sigma service were surprised ;)

Anyone have a success with latest  batch of 50A ?

I can't speak of the latest batch of the 50A but I bought mine on April 7 this year. It is my first copy. It is working outstanding on both my 6D and 5D MKIII. Straight from the box - although I checked it with AFMA. It is sharp and doesn't miss focus.
I used to own the regular sigma 50 f/1.4 and used it on my 7D. Also worked great without AF problems. Didn't like it on my FF cameras so I sold it.
The more you look, the more you see ─ Robert M. Pirsig

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2014, 05:42:57 AM »