November 22, 2014, 09:19:22 PM

Author Topic: A petite Canon roadmap (actually product identification)  (Read 2820 times)

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
A petite Canon roadmap (actually product identification)
« on: November 09, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
I think this news item deserved some discussion:
http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/11/a-little-canon-roadmap/

The title is, and I'm missing the meaning of just one character, literally this:

"Image Communication [something character] product's B to B [Business to Business - thanks Neuro!] business reinforcement [alternate translations - intensification, strengthening]"

By "image communication" I take it to mean not that these are products with a purpose in creating visuals, but rather the purpose of the slide itself is to reinforce the strategy used to brand these products - their "image."  The purpose of the graphic is in some ways like a roadmap, although it seems to show where the models are positioned now, instead of in the future, and it doesn't show any movement like I'd expect from a roadmap.

The top caption has to do with "Image Communication" for "business" (I should know what all those characters mean; I should be able to look 'em up).

For these reasons, I would name it not a "roadmap" but a "product image" or "product presentation" map.  The arrows determine where the "image" of a given product is located - not for any particular camera but for the whole line (obviously).

There aren't too many surprises in there, but it does confirm some things we've suspected for a long while.

- Uncontroversially, professional use lenses and video cameras (located under the Cinema EOS block) are video-oriented and professional.  Not a surprise.

- Cinema EOS appears wholly focused on video, with NO overlap into the stills photography range.  This likely means that the video DSLR Canon is promising to develop will either not be marketed at stills photographers, or may not have stills camera ergonomics, or (what I think is most likely and obviously) it will just receive EOS branding.

- The EOS line has seen a de facto expansion into all quadrants of the imaging chart.  Its biggest presence is in professional stills.  It is interesting to see how small a part of the pie the originator of this chart gives to consumer-oriented features and especially to consumer video (which isn't a surprise given how difficult EOS Digital video is for the average user).  This seems to represent that Canon would downplay the importance of video in EOS Digital branding, and although the HD video recording in consumer DSLRs is mentioned, it is clear they want to tout it as a mostly professionally-oriented feature, which leads again to the mystery of "B to B" - Canon clearly is working to make Cinema EOS the better system for professional filmmakers and video users but at the same time they want there to be a broad spectrum available for others who are primarily stills system users.  The intent of this graphic seems mainly to make sure that these priorities are reflected that way.

In truth, we can say that the real market takeup of various sections of this graphic are not to scale; which is no surprise.  I think the intent is not to reflect market realities or try to provide a "units moved" priority to any given segment, but to unify the presentation of each market segment in a way that moves the market in ways that Canon wants.

Seen that way, you could see EOS Digital video features being squeezed by Cinema EOS, and consumer DSLRs being squeezed between professional DSLRs and "digital cameras" (of the mirrorless / noninterchangeable lens varieties).

[Edit: This paragraph is obsolete and was originally underneath the lead, thanks neuro!]  Looking at the "roadmap" I'm not sure what the "B to B" stands for, but it seems that the intent is to have a "common platform" for those developments.  I'm not sure how to reconcile that with the appearance of non-EF lenses and video cameras in the "B to B" block - maybe it instead means that there is a spectrum of professional products covering all needs.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:29:42 AM by Edwin Herdman »

canon rumors FORUM

A petite Canon roadmap (actually product identification)
« on: November 09, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: A petite Canon roadmap (actually product identification)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »
I'm not sure what the "B to B" stands for,

B2B = business to business, i.e. selling to professionals/industry.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:18:59 PM »
What I found interesting from that chart is that the EOS Digital for still picture only seem to have two "professional" camera body:  the 1DX and what seem to be the 5D mk II currently.  I think we are all expecting the 5D mkII replacement to be a high MP camera, but what is interesting is that replacement (just looking at the chart) may not have much more video features since those will be reserved (or might be...) to the Cinema EOS.

I just hope they are not going to start to segment too much.  I think what made the 5D II a success was the fact it appeals to so many different application.  More specialization may not be good news for us (future buyers of next gen EOS body).

I cant wait for Nikon to make its move.  I think it will help understand the roadmap a bit better (am hoping)
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 04:30:42 PM »
The only thing I found interesting was that the line dividing cinema and still photography cuts right through the middle of the non-gripped DSLR.

I read that to mean that future DSLR's will remain with one foot in stills and one foot in video. On the other hand, the 1DX (or whatever the gripped camera is) is placed squarely on the "still photography" side of the chart and the under development cinema DSLR is placed squarely on the cinema side of the chart.

The Business to Business bubble encompasses the DSLRs and the professional cinema products. But, the DSLR bubble also overlaps into the consumer segment. (not a big surprise). The only other mildly interesting thing about the chart is that there is a clear differentiation between the consumer and professional video markets (no overlap), Unlike the DSLR segment.

I would not read anything into the specific models pictured, especially the two DSLRs. I think one is just an icon for the top of the line models (currently only the 1DX, but could change in the future) and one is an icon for other DSLRs. The overlap into the consumer segment would signify that Canon sells EOS cameras for both the professional and amateur market and there is little market differentiation with these models (Are the 5D and the 7D "pro" models with consumer appeal or "consumer" models with pro appeal? What about the 60D and even the Rebels? Doesn't matter to Canon. They are just showing that their DSLRs will continue to be offered in a range that appeals to both consumers and pros.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 01:25:01 AM »
I have a better idea what the graphic title says...updating the first post.
I'm not sure what the "B to B" stands for,

B2B = business to business, i.e. selling to professionals/industry.
Many thanks for clearing that up!
I would not read anything into the specific models pictured, especially the two DSLRs.
Agreed.  I think the positioning of the bubbles is what matters - the pictured items are just representative items for the benefit of any sleepy salaryman looking at the chart :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 01:25:01 AM »