September 22, 2014, 06:51:03 PM

Author Topic: Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG Art in August? [CR2]  (Read 6450 times)

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG Art in August? [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »
Much more interested in a Sigma 24-70/2.0 OS.  Was that all a hoax or is it still a real possibility?

Lee Jay

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 12:55:34 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 01:43:34 PM »
Just to be clear, I do not have AF problems but at least 2 forum members here experience AF problems - there is a thread about it.

I'm pretty sure that I could find two people that have focus issues with any lens that's mass produced (this includes Canon, Nikon, etc.)

Or even people with more than one Canon lens with which they have focus problems.

Does that mean we should all stop buying Canon lenses?

AcutancePhotography

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I could find two people that have focus issues with any lens that's mass produced (this includes Canon, Nikon, etc.)

Or even people with more than one Canon lens with which they have focus problems.

The biggest issue with the new Sigma lenses is that they don't have the word Canon written on them.   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

AcutancePhotography

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 01:51:34 PM »
so we have to write in every sigma threat that the sigma art line has AF problems...

That's what happens on this site.   ;D

I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 02:02:47 PM »
I'm still of the opinion that it's just inherently impossible for a third party lens maker to equal first party AF quality.
Sigma just needs to work on their own bodies and bring those up to par.
-100% RAW-

candyman

• 1D X
  • The best critic sits in front of the camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »
Just to be clear, I do not have AF problems but at least 2 forum members here experience AF problems - there is a thread about it.

No
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-70VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L

Rudeofus

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »
When people rag on Sigma AF issues, they should at least differentiate between past issues and the current issue seemingly affecting the new 50.

The big set of AF problems that seemed to have plagued Sigma glass forever appears to come from poor and/or incomplete decoding of Canon's lens protocol, and the art line seems to have resolved this issue for now. Thanks to the usb dock Canon can't pull any further "the new camera ain't done until Sigma glass won't run" stunts.

The problems that seem to have affected Eldar and Viggo appear to be plain manufacturing issues, that are not uncommon when brand new products are introduced. These issues shouldn't become the new normal either, and I sure hope that Sigma's manufacturing lines get their act together quickly.

PS: If people draw a straight line through 35 and 50 price points to determine the expected price of the new 85, then I wonder what price people would expect for upcoming wide angle glass in the art line ... :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
When people rag on Sigma AF issues, they should at least differentiate between past issues and the current issue seemingly affecting the new 50.

The big set of AF problems that seemed to have plagued Sigma glass forever appears to come from poor and/or incomplete decoding of Canon's lens protocol, and the art line seems to have resolved this issue for now. Thanks to the usb dock Canon can't pull any further "the new camera ain't done until Sigma glass won't run" stunts.

The problems that seem to have affected Eldar and Viggo appear to be plain manufacturing issues, that are not uncommon when brand new products are introduced. These issues shouldn't become the new normal either, and I sure hope that Sigma's manufacturing lines get their act together quickly.

PS: If people draw a straight line through 35 and 50 price points to determine the expected price of the new 85, then I wonder what price people would expect for upcoming wide angle glass in the art line ... :P

Well put.

Wide angle speculation is a lot tougher as it's not just a simple 'non-L price is low and L price is comical' sort of Canon landscape.  In 35, 50, 85 Sigma has a sweet spot around $900-1000 where an L competitor (hell, L beater) will do really well.

But in wider FL, there are a lot of high quality options and more price points.  Besides the two T/S lenses, there's the 24/1.4L, the 24 F/2.8 non-L, as well as two three L WA zooms.  I assumed you were referring to a prime like a 24mm, but in that length for landscape work, a lot of folks opt for the zoom b/c in landscape work sometimes you can't move your feet.  So I feel that WA zooms can fight for similar prime business in a different way than with standard FLs.

And don't forget that the landscapers don't explicitly need AF, so Zeiss goes from 'exotic tool with limitations' in standard focal lengths to a very reasonable L alternative at a number of wide focal lengths.

Add all those lenses up and it's just a murkier market for Sigma to wade into.  They can and will do business there, but they need to clearly define what they are going after: make a 24/1.4L killer for $1000, make a 16-35 F/4L IS killer for $800, make a 16-35 F/2.8 killer for $1200, etc.  The first and third on that list are right in Sigma's wheelhouse, but the second would be a tough one to pull off -- the 16-35 F/4L IS MTF charts look quite impressive for the dollar.

- A
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:11:16 PM by ahsanford »

Perio

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 04:05:12 PM »
Patiently waiting for Canon 85 1.2iii  :)

YuengLinger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 04:24:11 PM »
I'm still of the opinion that it's just inherently impossible for a third party lens maker to equal first party AF quality.
Sigma just needs to work on their own bodies and bring those up to par.

People who disagree with you just need to buy the lenses that work best for them.  I sold my ef 35mm 1.4 L because it was soft up to 2.2, had terrible purple fringing to 4.0--and significant to 5.6, and the bokeh was not all that pretty. 

Before deciding to sell, I sent the Canon 35mm 1.4 to CPS and was promptly told it was in spec.

Bought the Sigma and love it for artsy stuff and landscapes and out-of-the-box portraits.  AF has been as reliable as any of my Canon L's or standard primes, as fast as some, slower than others.

But my bad experience with that one Canon prime did not stop me from several months later buying a Canon 85mm 1.2 II, the sweetest portrait lens I have ever shot with.

Those of us who love photographic tools for what they can do are always hoping we get choices and competition.

Does the ludicrous nature of posts here go in cycles, or is this a downward spiral?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:29:56 PM by YuengLinger »

YuengLinger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 04:26:41 PM »

If you needed an 85 1.2, you wouldn't be waiting. 

Perio

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 04:39:37 PM »

If you needed an 85 1.2, you wouldn't be waiting.

Well, since I don't shoot for living, I'm perfectly fine with 24-70ii, 70-200ii and 200 2.0. Every time I try to convince myself to get 85 1.2ii, I recall that green and purple fringing and I don't want that. So, for now whatever I have is enough. But for those who need f1.2 now, of course you're right, they should get the current version.

Sabaki

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
A friend of mine is constantly ragging me about my dedication to the Canon name. He says I get all gooey and weak kneed when I see 'Canon' and worse than that, I've bought into the fallacy that Canon is always better.

So yes, he has Canon lenses amongst his Tamron, Sigma and Samyung brands but I've got to say, those third party lenses are outshining some Canon flagship models.

I am now for the first time in three years, beginning to look at reviews and possibly buying of third party lenses and just why shouldn't i?

If Canon wants my money, I'd like a product that outshines all third party lenses but comes in at a competitive price too.
If performance is king, it's hard justifying what Canon expect for some lenses.
Canon 500D | 100mmL f/2.8 IS Macro | 24-70mmL f/2.8 mk II | 70-200mmL f/4.0 | 400mmL f/5.6 | 50mm f/1.8 | EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 600 RT |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »

kobeson

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
The current Sigma 85 f1.4 continually amazes me, it is tack sharp wide open, and jaw dropping stopped down to 2.8. I don't see that they could improve much on the sharpness, I guess it does have minor CA (less than Canon's seemingly) so I am surprised they are redoing it. Perhaps it is just to bring it into USB configuration?

I don't feel the need to sell mine to upgrade, I guess those without an 85 will be interested though.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »
If Canon wants my money, I'd like a product that outshines all third party lenses but comes in at a competitive price too.
If performance is king, it's hard justifying what Canon expect for some lenses.

If it's any consolation, Canon occasionally doesn't have its head up it's a$$ with pricing. 

Landscape shooters looking for a UWA zoom previously had a choice of 'soft-corner-F/4-zoom' for $800 or 'soft-corner-F/2.8-zoom' for $1600.  So when a new lens (the 16-35 F/4L IS) was offered that should dust both of the current offerings -- at least from a sharpness perspective -- it was thought to have to cost $1500-2000 just because that's what Canon does to us these days.  But it was priced at $1200 and that decision was lauded by many folks on this forum.

But I agree with your point.  The value proposition has to be there or Canon won't get my money.  I still consider the Canon brand a premium one compared to RokiBowYang and Tamron, but everything Sigma has done in the last few years has been right up there (or in some cases, better) than Canon.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2014, 07:42:20 PM »