June 19, 2018, 06:33:38 PM

Author Topic: New Full Frame Camera in Testing? [CR1]  (Read 53773 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: New Full Frame Camera in Testing? [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »
people claim they can clearly hear the difference between 196 or 256kbit MP3 and 320kbit MP3.. only when you test them (under studio conditions) they can not.

196 to 256 is a small step, but 196 to 320 can be heard and 128 to CD sure the heck can be easily distinguished

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »

jrista

• EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2014, 07:54:39 PM »
The color accuracy of the 1Dx actually isn't all that great.  It's nothing compared to the 1Ds Mark III.

Yeah, that would be expected, given the weaker CFA relative to the 1Ds III. I wonder what Canon is doing to remedy that issue...

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2014, 07:58:00 PM »
I find it inconceivable that there would not be a new FF camera in testing....

hopefully you do know what the word inconceivable means even if a certain someone in a certain movie did not
otherwise canon has lost the plot

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2014, 07:58:38 PM »

You keep using that word.  I do not think it means what you think it means.

;D

darn and i see everyone else beat me to it already

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2014, 08:10:22 PM »

hopefully you do know what the word inconceivable means even if a certain someone in a certain movie did not
not conceivable, unimaginable, incapable of being conceived, imagined, or considered....

If it is inconceivable that there would not be a new FF camera in testing, then I could not imagine such a scenario, and if I could not imagine such a scenario, I obviously would not comment on it :)

BTW, Neuro got it right :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

paulrossjones

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2014, 10:27:31 PM »
Canon often do this kind of thing so that their products are fully tested by trusted professionals and they get the feed back their development engineers need. If they don't do this 1D4 fiascos are likely to occurr. While this kind of leak plays to our emotions, it is necessary for the developement of better camera models. But it is also kind of cool, becuase we get to hear very loose by telling information about prototypes which are currently in devleopment. We know (via other rumours) that Canon have a sensor patent / design which uses a different arrangement of the traditional bayer RGB array. It's likely that this new sensor is a test bed for that particular patent / technology and it appears to be an improvement over the current tech.
Bare in mind that the 5DIII resolves nearly as much detail as the D800. It's only the top end optical resolution of a few of the worlds sharpest lenses which can allow the D800 to out resolve the 5DIII and even then, there isn't much between them. Amusingly, Canon have more lenses in that bracket, than Nikon currently do...Canon's new 24-70IIL is the sharpest zoom lens so far from any brand. When Canon finally releases a camera body with this kind of MP count, there will be a lot of lenses to match the sensor's capabilies, where as Nikon have very few lenses which can match their current sensor tech. Most of their lenses do not optically resolve much over 22mp.
I think this new camera's sensor point to a more efficient use of the RGB array and probably the removal of the AA filter to create sharper and clearer details with  the same resolution of 22mp. If this is the case, the new camera could easily match the D800's sharpness and detail but at a more effficient 22mp. the improvement in colour rendition sound good and i only hope that Canon have employed a simular supporting sensor design to achieve the same (if not better) shadow noise pushability in their raw files. This isn't an expanded DR as some have claimed, it's purely a better control of iso noise in the shadow areas of a raw file. Where as Canon files tend to break up and display banding with the same level of pushing in the shadows.
one could argue that the scene was incorrectly exposed in the first place...but the fact remains, Nikon / Sony currently have a 1.5 stop advantage in this single feature on their sensors. All the other features are a lot closer than the marketing / spin doctors would let you belive.   

hi, i have owned a multiple every professional canon camera since the 1ds mk1, and at the moment i own  5dmk3's.
i brought a sony a7r to test a few weeks ago and was absolutely blown away by the detail and the latitude of the sony file. it clearly blows away the canon in detail with exactly the same lenses (i have been using the metabone adaptor I've shot exactly the same thing with two cameras and there just is no comparison.

i have no idea how you can say there are similar! have you got both cameras?

I was so impressed with the file from the sony- but very disappointed with the evf and usability of the sony. so i brought a d800 and lenses. the d800 appears virtually identical file wise to the sony, and i am very happy with it.

i am reluctantly holding on to my canon gear waiting for photokina. but canon has to improve their files with both megapixels and file depth, or i will be changing completely to nikon for the first time in 15years. the 5dmk3 files have disappointed me over and over again.
almost everyone i know who shoots in my field (advertising photography) have seriously considered or already moved to nikon.

paul
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:29:40 PM by paulrossjones »

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2014, 12:52:26 AM »
If they don't do this 1D4 fiascos are likely to occurr.   

I presume you actually meant the 1D MkIII AF issue.

Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2014, 12:52:26 AM »

Larry

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »

not conceivable, unimaginable, incapable of being conceived, imagined, or considered....

I find it inconceivable that any thing(noun) or verb(action) could be correctly described as inconceivable, …it having been conceived already in order to be used as the subject of the description.  ;D

Anything truly inconceivable will never be a subject of discussion!

Edit-(Maybe the world should be retired as unusable and something like "…difficult to believe." substituted? ) ???
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 12:04:39 PM by Larry »

Don Haines

• posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »

I find it inconceivable that any thing(noun) or verb(action) could be correctly described as inconceivable, …it having been conceived already in order to be used as the subject of the description.  ;D

Anything truly inconceivable will never be a subject of discussion!
+√∞ :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

Larry

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »

+√∞ :)

The square root of infinity has to be infinity, …(anything less)^2 must, by definition, fall short.  :P

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:20:54 PM by Larry »

StudentOfLight

• EOS 5DS R
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2014, 12:16:21 PM »
The word inconceivable is an example of hyperbole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  18-28mm f/2, 28-85mm f/2, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

dolina

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »
I hope it is an improvement over the 5D3. :)
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

scyrene

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »
I'm doubtless opening myself up to all sorts of disapproval here, but can someone explain/share links on the subject of colour accuracy? What does it mean - accurate in what sense? What are we calibrating the camera against?

I have never done studio work, so it's a bit beyond my world, but when I take photographs, I adjust the colour balance afterwards based on a couple of things - either I pick a spot that I know was close to neutral grey (if there is one), and/or adjust until the picture resembles what I remember seeing/believe is best. I'd batch process for groups of shots taken together.

I suppose it would be nice, to speed things up if I were processing lots of similar shots, to use an automated method, but am I missing something? My eyes each see the colour balance of the world slightly differently (when I close one then the other it can be quite obvious) - I imagine we all see colours slightly differently. And then there's how you're viewing the photos, and the ultimate intent of the image (the feel, for want of a better word).

I can understand accuracy in the sense of a device measuring the wavelengths of the light from each element in the scene, and recording them. And if it records different colours as the same (metamerism?) then this is bad. But the middle bit - translating measured light into an image we see and recognise and relate to... where does 'accuracy' fit in? If I see a picture of a flower, how do I know precisely what colour it was, if I wasn't there? Or what tint the lighting added, etc.

Sorry, sometimes fundamental concepts seem strange to me.
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2014, 10:58:47 AM »
When "they" are talking about colour accuracy like that they are not talking about white balance, well they shouldn't be, they are talking about the relationship of colours to each other. That is where the Camera Calibration profiles in LR, PS and DPP come in, is the Landscape or the Portrait option more realistic when both use the same WB?

The most anal people I know about image colour are flower photographers and ceramicists, ever photograph a red flower and it not look anything like the flower did? Try deep blue, purple, and mauve flowers, they are a very difficult to get accurate and you have to use a camera profile specifically for the light you shot in.

That is what they are talking about, specific camera profiles, or more probably an enhanced Bayer filter array and firmware that delivers more accurate colours in more lighting situations more often. Anything that saves processing time and is perceived as "better" will have a market in the studio environment.

This link gives a little background on that Camera Calibration panel. http://x-equals.com/blog/playing-with-color-camera-profiles/
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »
The most anal people I know about image colour are flower photographers and ceramicists, ever photograph a red flower and it not look anything like the flower did? Try deep blue, purple, and mauve flowers, they are a very difficult to get accurate and you have to use a camera profile specifically for the light you shot in.

A lot of trouble with flowers is even more that people seem to stick to sRGB which makes many flowers impossible to show correctly. A wide gamut monitor will give you a much better chance (of course it's true that the WB and profiles and all can still mess with things).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »