October 25, 2014, 12:50:38 PM

Author Topic: Printer for Posters  (Read 2743 times)

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
Re: Printer for Posters
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 02:40:04 AM »
Printing yourself is 1/2 the fun of Photography.

After printing as a teenager in my blacked out bedroom 35 years ago, I couldn't agree more. People spend thousands on lenses yet baulk at a few hundred in paper and ink, yet it is so rewarding. Printing is what keeps my enthusiasm for photography alive.

eml,

Knowing you like the best, I don't know if you have seen these, https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/colorproofkit.html I got a set last year and it really helped the printing. I got a 3' x 6' sheet of metal painted white that I hung on the wall and I use to proof my prints on, you can get a great brightness balance with the metal and your screen and I use magnets to hold the prints, fantastic setup.

P.S. By coincidence I had the Schewe ePub open, great reference, particularly when you have been away for a few weeks.

Thanks for that Private, I appreciate it, will have an in depth look at this, it's often an issue, where I'm located at present I need to turn the lights off & close the Blinds for the X-Rite i1 profiler to work well on my Cinema Screen, these lights may be the answer for my set up in Australia, thanks for the heads up.

the other Schewe Book that I have and is worth a look is The Digital Negative.

And I agree, it is so much more rewarding as a Photographer to work on your capture skills, develop your Post processing skills, and get to the very best part of all, the big bright Print done on your own gear.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 02:40:04 AM »

lux

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »
I'm a long way from printing my own though I have moved from cheap prints at walgreens to using my local camera store with very nice improvements.  I have a monitor that was supposedly calibrated in the factory (came with documentation I didn't really understand) I usually ask for no changes to be done on the print. 

Would it be even better if I used color profiles and costco...?
6d, 2ti,  50 1.4, 40 2.8, 17-40, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 ii. 50-250

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
I'm a long way from printing my own though I have moved from cheap prints at walgreens to using my local camera store with very nice improvements.  I have a monitor that was supposedly calibrated in the factory (came with documentation I didn't really understand) I usually ask for no changes to be done on the print. 

Would it be even better if I used color profiles and costco...?

Yes it would. But a factory screen profile is next to useless, even an inbuilt calibration software would be better.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »
Seems each of the big 3 photo printer makers have similar 17", 24", 36-42", and 60-64" models, all similarly
priced.  Once you get to 24" however, it becomes much more a problem of software than hardware.  Check for
postscript compatibility, what, if any RIP is included or will you have to buy Postershop or something similar to
fully utilize the printer.  Software can cost more than the hardware, so be careful.  You can buy a lot of prints
for the 5 grand, so unless you plan to sell your work to help finance  the next ones, investing the time, learning curve, and space for a large format printer may not be the best decision.

MacroBug

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »
I have also had very good experience with Aspen Creek Photo.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »