June 24, 2018, 07:23:16 AM

Author Topic: Dust & Weather Resistance  (Read 1295 times)

edwyun

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Dust & Weather Resistance
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »
I appreciate the fact that EOS cameras and lenses are merely dust and weather resistance as opposed to dust and weather proof.  In situations where fine dust does get into the equipment, how can you tell if Canon USA will honor their warranty?  I will probably pay to get it cleaned but what is the threshold for warranty or non-warranty?
5DIII: 14/2.8 (Samyang), 24-70/2.8L ii, 135/2L
T90: 24/2.8, 50/1.4 SSC, 50/1.4, 35-105/3.5, 135/2, 200/4 Macro, 300/4L

canon rumors FORUM

Dust & Weather Resistance
« on: May 28, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

AcutancePhotography

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: Dust & Weather Resistance
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
I appreciate the fact that EOS cameras and lenses are merely dust and weather resistance as opposed to dust and weather proof.  In situations where fine dust does get into the equipment, how can you tell if Canon USA will honor their warranty?  I will probably pay to get it cleaned but what is the threshold for warranty or non-warranty?

Does the Canon warranty even address dust/water entering the system? 

From their warranty webpage http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/support/warranty/warranty_EOS_digital_camera.pdf

"This limited warranty covers all defects encountered in normal use of the Product, and does not apply in
the following cases:

...water damage... will be presumed to have resulted from misuse, abuse or failure to operate the
Product as set forth in the operating instructions".

The word dust does not appear in the warranty nor does the word weather. I am not confident that Canon will recognize dust entering the system as a warranty covered item.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Dust & Weather Resistance
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »