October 24, 2014, 09:02:34 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark II Firmware 2.1.1 Sighting  (Read 18976 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark II Firmware 2.1.1 Sighting
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 10:26:27 AM »
so new features would be added to new cameras, encouraging owners to dispose of the old cameras in favour of new ones

That's exactly the case.  It's why the T3i/600D has a user-selectable range for Auto ISO, whereas the 7D and even the 5DII's Auto ISO ranges are fixed.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 10:26:27 AM »

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 10:41:39 AM »
Just updated without problems. It's a shame that whenever there is a firmware update posted, that a little voice inside me is hoping gleefully that there will be some added feature. Ah well.

I haven't used cameras 'back then', but my impression is film bodies were never (or very rarely) upgraded with new features, and things are worse today, as manufacturors expect people to treat camera bodies as disposable products replaced by new models every so often (read: so new features would be added to new cameras, encouraging owners to dispose of the old cameras in favour of new ones).

Any manufacturer would certainly drool at consumers disposing of products annually and buying new :p

Digital imaging technology is still fairly new so there have been huge advancements from one generation to the next causing past models to become somewhat obsolete quickly.  I think the pace of development though is slowing down so until there is some new breakthrough (which is quite possible) consumers will be more likely to skip a few new models between upgrades.  Even still, the upgrade mania is more prevalent at the low to middle models and in many cases the previous units may be disposed of.  The top models, having the best tech at the time of release, have a much longer useful life and will find uses as second bodies or be sold to someone not wanting to invest in the latest and greatest.  For example, lots of pros still using a 5D I think?

mccrum

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Jeff McCrum Photography
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »
so new features would be added to new cameras, encouraging owners to dispose of the old cameras in favour of new ones

That's exactly the case.  It's why the T3i/600D has a user-selectable range for Auto ISO, whereas the 7D and even the 5DII's Auto ISO ranges are fixed.
I would like to meet the kind of person who sells their 5Dii for a 60D just to get user selectable range for their ISO.  I would meet them and become their best friend and buy all their castoff gear when the next thing came out.

I see your point but the auto ISO example is kind of stretching it.  There is no other FF option for people not willing to spend over five grand.
5D Mark II, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f2.8, Nifty 50 f1.8, Polaroid SLR 680, Kowa Super 66

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
Point is, it's a new feature relative to the 5DII. They won't give it to the 5DII via a firmware update, even though there's no reason, other than marketing, not to. But, the 5DIII will have it.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

donkom

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2011, 08:38:36 AM »
Your justifications do not silence that little voice - Canon updated and added many features on the 5DII in the past (because no product in its class in the foreseeable future could deliver those features - I get that), which gave me lingering hope for more to come.

AshtonNekolah

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »
Haven't seen this in months, but its about time :D

photalian

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 10:57:11 AM »
Did you guys update to 2.1.2 yet?  I still have 2.0.7 on my 5D2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 10:57:11 AM »