November 23, 2014, 02:47:05 AM

Author Topic: Reports of EOS 7D Reaching End of Life [CR2]  (Read 10640 times)

Steve

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Reports of EOS 7D Reaching End of Life [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
Sigma 300-600? Did I miss something? I only know the 300-800 Sigmonster (+ Sigma's even more monstrous 200-500/2.8).

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=21072.0

"It’s also possible that Sigma will announce something like a 300mm-600mm supertelephoto zoom lens. Although that may not come until 2015. There was no mention of whether or not the lens would have a constant aperture, or even what the aperture would be."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »

Tugela

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
The 7D is so old that it's been end of life in the market place for a long time. It's been said before, it's not the camera which is dated, but the sensor inside it. It's seriously behind in iso ability and clarity at 100%. Sure the AF could do with a tweek, but I found the 7D's array to be very good.

Ummm...it is not just the sensor, it as all the electronic circuitry in the camera that is dated.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
My 7D still works.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Richard8971

• Canon 6D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 03:00:37 AM »
I bought my 7D new back in late 2011 and I love this camera. After the v2.0 firmware, it is fast, has a great buffer size and supports very fast speeds of CompactFlash cards.

Every camera has limitations, no matter what body it is. Some more or less than others, but they still exist. But here is why I love my 7D and even IF they release a 7D replacement soon, I will keep my current set-up for quite a while.

1) The image quality of the 7D is impressive, even at high ISO in decent light. If you are one who shoots constantly in low light a crop sensor is not for you anyway, so this doesn't apply to you anyway. I have hundreds of good light, high ISO (ISO-1600-3200) shots that are detailed and perfect for print, even without any kind of noise reduction done. Guys, they look great in NORMAL print sizes (even up to 11 x 14) Look if you are a "pro" and you make billboards for advertising, keep your comments to yourself. You wouldn't own a 7D or any crop body anyway, good grief. This IS NOT directed to you anyway.

2) Even though the 70D and Nikon's latest crop body, the D7100 are impressive cameras, they cannot keep up with the OVERALL speed of the 7D, either in fps OR in clearing out the buffer quickly. That alone can make or break the nest shot.

3) The AF system on the 7D is fantastic. Even when I am using my Tamron 1.4x teleconverter, the 7D still locks on 98% even in dim light. The 7D WILL AF at f8, quite a feat in it's self, even if it's not an official spec from Canon.

4) The body and menu is still 100% modern and is build like a tank. I plan on using my 7D for years to come.

5) The last and most important. IF Canon makes a 7D replacement, I DOUBT the camera will produce an Image that is (guessing of course) $1800.00~$2200.00 BETTER than my 7D.

Until such time that the cost to fix my 7D outweighs buying another camera body, I won't switch IF a "7D2" comes out.

Just my 2 cents, take it as that.

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »
The 7D is so old that it's been end of life in the market place for a long time. It's been said before, it's not the camera which is dated, but the sensor inside it. It's seriously behind in iso ability and clarity at 100%. Sure the AF could do with a tweek, but I found the 7D's array to be very good.

Ummm...it is not just the sensor, it as all the electronic circuitry in the camera that is dated.

The 7D actually has a better processor than the 5II of the same generation. The 7D to get it's data through put of 8fps and 18mp used a dual Digic 4 design. While the 5DIII and 1DX use Digic 5 and Dual Digic 5 designs, the through put of the Dual Digic 4 and a single Digic 5 are remarkably similar.
Other than AF systems, a 19 point to 61 point AF system, the 7D is remarkably modern except for it's sensor. If fact much of the 5DIII's development was carried over or progressed from the ground work laid in the 7D development. The 7D really was a 1D4 lite....so one wonders if Canon has the will to put out a 7DII / 1D-X lite?

ahsanford

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2014, 04:58:08 PM »

The 7D actually has a better processor than the 5II of the same generation. The 7D to get it's data through put of 8fps and 18mp used a dual Digic 4 design. While the 5DIII and 1DX use Digic 5 and Dual Digic 5 designs, the through put of the Dual Digic 4 and a single Digic 5 are remarkably similar.
Other than AF systems, a 19 point to 61 point AF system, the 7D is remarkably modern except for it's sensor. If fact much of the 5DIII's development was carried over or progressed from the ground work laid in the 7D development. The 7D really was a 1D4 lite....so one wonders if Canon has the will to put out a 7DII / 1D-X lite?

A lot of people pick on its age, but if a 7D2 was offered that was identical spec-wise to the 7D other than offering a new best-in-class APS-C sensor, I think it would still sell like hot cakes. 

But tack on what we think they will tack on beyond the sensor (a 5D3/1DX-like AF grid, dual-pixel, video improvements, etc.) and we can start talking about such a beast eclipsing $2k and still selling like crazy.

- A

AshtonNekolah

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • The Portfolio Of Ashton Nekolah V1.8 Love Is The Only Truth™
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 06:43:28 PM »
I remember reading there will be no 7D mk2 or a camera by that name. the newer body will be digi 6 which is far ahead of the game and also, the 70d was suppose to be the new 7D new version, so if there is a replacement maybe its out already and if there is a camera coming out I dont think it will have anything to do with a 7 at all. just my 2cents, only time will tell what it really going to be.
Canon EOS FF |EF 17-40mm L F/4|EF 40mm F/2.8|EF 50mm L F/1.2|EF 100mm L F/2.8|EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II USM Lens|

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 06:43:28 PM »

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 01:48:23 AM »
Nikon just threw their "flagship crop DSLR" on the heap.

Sound familiar?
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 05:53:11 AM »
I remember reading there will be no 7D mk2 or a camera by that name. the newer body will be digi 6 which is far ahead of the game and also, the 70d was suppose to be the new 7D new version, so if there is a replacement maybe its out already and if there is a camera coming out I dont think it will have anything to do with a 7 at all. just my 2cents, only time will tell what it really going to be.

The 70D shares a lot of 7D specs, which really underlines my earlier point about the 7D being a very advanced camera when it was launched. I get the impression with the 70D, it was Canon cutting into the second hand sales of the 7D. The 7D is hardly selling anymore on the new market but is selling very well on the used market. Canon only recieve income with the same of new cameras, not used ones. So the way to fix this is release a nearly identical camera with a nearly identical spec, but built to a cheaper cost base and sell it for the same price as a used 7D....and this is exactly what the 70D seems to have done. The same it true of the 6D and 5DII.
Sure there are few minor upgrades and a few dumbed down specs, but generally this seems to have happened.

The Problem Canon seems to have with the 1DX and 7DII, is that the 1DX is still selling well and the second Canon release a 7DII, those sales will tail off pretty fast. It's just not possible to make a 7DII without it being a 1.6x version of the 1DX. The 5DIII is already a full frame 1DX lite....so a 7DII must therefore be a cropped sensor 1DX lite also. Ergo, simular frame rate, AF array and 18mp as the 1DX.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 07:03:53 AM »

The 70D shares a lot of 7D specs, which really underlines my earlier point about the 7D being a very advanced camera when it was launched. I get the impression with the 70D, it was Canon cutting into the second hand sales of the 7D. The 7D is hardly selling anymore on the new market but is selling very well on the used market. Canon only recieve income with the same of new cameras, not used ones. So the way to fix this is release a nearly identical camera with a nearly identical spec, but built to a cheaper cost base and sell it for the same price as a used 7D....and this is exactly what the 70D seems to have done. The same it true of the 6D and 5DII.
Sure there are few minor upgrades and a few dumbed down specs, but generally this seems to have happened.

The Problem Canon seems to have with the 1DX and 7DII, is that the 1DX is still selling well and the second Canon release a 7DII, those sales will tail off pretty fast. It's just not possible to make a 7DII without it being a 1.6x version of the 1DX. The 5DIII is already a full frame 1DX lite....so a 7DII must therefore be a cropped sensor 1DX lite also. Ergo, simular frame rate, AF array and 18mp as the 1DX.

cant really argue with any of that logic but often canon don't act logically they WILL cripple the 7D2 enough that it doesnt it 1Dx sales in a big way
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 07:08:24 AM »
I'm still prepping my bomb shelter for the hysteria as the 7D2 release gets closer
anyone remember how bad this place got pre 5Dmk3?
APS-H Fanboy

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 07:24:02 AM »
I'm still prepping my bomb shelter for the hysteria as the 7D2 release gets closer

That was a fun time -- lots of activity.  Don't think the 7D2 will generate as much traffic as 5D3.  The tech is more mature now (relative to existing market offerings), and Sony's A7x, micro 4/3s, Fuji have all taken some of the market share and tech buzz.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »

That was a fun time -- lots of activity.  Don't think the 7D2 will generate as much traffic as 5D3.  The tech is more mature now (relative to existing market offerings), and Sony's A7x, micro 4/3s, Fuji have all taken some of the market share and tech buzz.

There will be a number of very specific camps posting here once the specs are announced. Each camp can be quite easily predicted.
The Nikon trolls....where anything from Canon isn never good enough.
The Canon fanboys, where everyrhing from Canon is given from the very "hand of god".
The existing 1DX users, who don't see the point of the 7DII compared to their exisiting camera.
The 5DIII users who don't care for the 1.6 crop. The 5DIII users who fancy the 1.6 crop.
The upgraders from the 70D and the side graders from the 7D.
The "we want 15 stops DR or the camera is a failure" brigade.
The people who don't have enough money to justify a 7DII.
The people who don't have any camera but like to post their opinions on forums as if they did.

you are welcome to add or delete to my list

In the mean time....I'll be out shooting during my busiest time of the year. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2014, 10:53:45 AM »
Nice summary!
I'm hoping for 5d3 body and battery and AF system new sensor better than 70d 20mp or so is fine with me
9 or 10 fps and a nice deep buffer
I'm expecting it to come in mid to high 2k range
APS-H Fanboy

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »

There will be a number of very specific camps posting here once the specs are announced. Each camp can be quite easily predicted.
The Nikon trolls....where anything from Canon isn never good enough.
The Canon fanboys, where everyrhing from Canon is given from the very "hand of god".
The existing 1DX users, who don't see the point of the 7DII compared to their exisiting camera.
The 5DIII users who don't care for the 1.6 crop. The 5DIII users who fancy the 1.6 crop.
The upgraders from the 70D and the side graders from the 7D.
The "we want 15 stops DR or the camera is a failure" brigade.
The people who don't have enough money to justify a 7DII.
The people who don't have any camera but like to post their opinions on forums as if they did.

you are welcome to add or delete to my list

In the mean time....I'll be out shooting during my busiest time of the year.
I'll add another category.... how about those people who say that its a camera that meets my needs, buy one, and then take great pictures despite all the naysayers.
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »