August 23, 2014, 11:36:17 AM

Author Topic: IS on when filming on tripod?  (Read 921 times)

Jack56

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
IS on when filming on tripod?
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:29:52 PM »
Dear all,
I want to film with the 50mm 1.8 and the 100mm L. I will use a tripod. Do I have to use the IS on the 100mmL or do I have to switch it off?

I want to interview people in different settings (in a kitchen, a playground, a taxidriver). Which aperture is the best to use?
Thank you for reading my questions.

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: IS on when filming on tripod?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »
I would switch it off.   Never seen a tripod that is adversly affected by IS being turned off.   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Besisika

• Rebel SL1
  • 1DX, 5D III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:21:46 PM »
I would switch it off.   Never seen a tripod that is adversly affected by IS being turned off.   ;D
Many people turn it off and that is, I think, the way to go.
I never removed mine though and I don't see any inconvenience on having it, other than the sound it makes. By this, I mean I don't see any big difference on recorded footages.
Remove it if you use an internal microphone.
I keep mine, because am switching between handheld, tripod and monopod; mainly on a monopod and the IS helps alot.
If you intend to use your DSLR alot for video; equip yourself with an external microphone and a loop.The hood helps stabilize during handholding, helps as well avoid initial vibration when you remove the DSLR from the monopod to handheld in the midle of recording. It helps as well when you have a wooden floor that causes microvibration when somoeone is walking by or when someone inadvertently bumbs into the tripod. On a monopod, the hoodloop is a must and my IS is always on. Actually, my favorite lens is 200mmL but it doesn't have IS so I switch always to the 100mmL. That makes this lens my most valuable.
As far as aperture, it depends on many factors. The aperture is mainly dicated by the depth of field that you want to achieve. 2.8 is minimum for 100mm. Most of the times, I shoot at 3.5 to 5.6 for sharpness. I shoot only 1.2 or 2.0 when indoor, during wedding reception for example, due to lack of light, and that has to be full body.
Usually, I shoot at 1/80th s, unless the light is too much then I shortens it to 160th or 320th then I use a filter.
You should be ok if you shoot at F16 outdoor. Indoor, you have to play with high ISO.

mxma1

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:42:29 AM »
I'd definitely turn it off.

Most of my filming has been interviews and leaving IS on causes these weird random subtle sways in the frame here and there.

Especially since there's no movement of the camera at all, there's nothing that should cause vibration to begin with. Maybe if it was a tripod on a bridge with cars driving by or something I'd leave IS on, but if it's solid and steady. Turn it off.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:48:50 AM »
OFF!

The image will shake and you can hear the IS working.
The best camera is the one in your hands

SPG

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 11:37:06 PM »
Usually off, but there are exceptions. If you're not panning and your tripod isn't that stable, the IS will take out the little micro jitters.

eli452

• Rebel SL1
  • When you have to shoot shoot don't talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:42:31 PM »
Definitely OFF. Otherwise the IS mechanism will search for shake that does not exist and introduce a shake of its on.
7D; 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye; 100mm f/2.8L macro; TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II; 24-105 f/4L; EF-S 10-22mm; 70-300mm f/4-5.6L; 50mm f/1.4, 600EX-RT & ST-E3-RT; lots more stuff.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 12:04:39 AM »
For the 100mmL, it doesn't matter, it shuts down automatically.  Only a few older lenses do not sense being on a tripod.

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 02:38:59 PM »
While playing with a Tammy 150-600 last week at Steptoe Butte State Park I had to turn on the IS (or whatever Tamron calls it), even though it was mounted on a RRS TVC-33 w/ BH-55 tripod, because of the gusty wind!