December 22, 2014, 10:09:50 AM

Author Topic: The Ramp Up to August Announcements is Starting [CR2]  (Read 17064 times)

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
Re: The Ramp Up to August Announcements is Starting [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 06:21:58 AM »
Ummm....no.....we can't.  ;D

+1000000000000000000000000000000000
 ;D

Cubed   ;)
Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 06:21:58 AM »

Maximilian

• Canon 7D MK II
  • The dark side - I've been there
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 07:02:39 AM »
... you can expect a prosumer DSLR at least. We also expect some higher end lenses to be added to the lineup...
Whatever may be announced – and hopefully be released shortly after – will be highly welcome, as well as shoot down in flames for requirements and dreams not being fulfilled.
It will be fun to read all the complains when the weather or my mood is not right for taking pictures ;)

As for Canon did let us wait quite long for pro and prosumer products this year (with the exception of the 16-35 F4 IS), I hope they won't mess up with the releases and QC ;)

And I still hope that there will be not only a few releases. But we'll see ...

Thanks Tugela, you made my day. *rotfl*
 ;D
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

Maiaibing

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 07:30:05 AM »
<p>If the pro dealers are involved, you can expect a prosumer DSLR at least.</p>

Not holding my breath. FF is where Canon needs to fight back.

Expecting (hoping for ) 5DIV announcement end of 2014. Time line for that camera in August would of course be very nice.

SwampYankee

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 08:02:13 AM »
I can't help but notice recent discounts on the 1DX.  Canon might give their current 5DIII sensor one last squeeze and put out a 24MP Pro camera with some additional features.
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

Maximilian

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 08:03:13 AM »
<p>If the pro dealers are involved, you can expect a prosumer DSLR at least.</p>

Expecting (hoping for ) 5DIV announcement end of 2014. Time line for that camera in August would of course be very nice.
If I were you and depending on what you expect for a 5D4 I wouldn't hope for your expectations.
My guess for new pro/prosumer DSLRs is:
7D2 (or what it will be called) announced around photokina, released hopefully this year.
High MP/new sensor tech FF (3D/1D XS or what it will be called) announced maybe this year, released maybe in 2015. And this won't be a 5D3 successor!
5D4 (or what it will be called) maybe announced in 2015, released maybe in 2015 as well.

But we'll see and maybe you are right.

Interesting how well Canon can keep the rumor leaks dry these times.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:29:15 AM by Maximilian »

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 12:36:57 PM »
I'm interested in what's coming, but not really wanting a 7D MK II.  APS-C sensors are limited in light response, so a small improvement night happen, but who knows, I certainly hope that something big happens.  At very least, the dual pixel sensor, and better / faster live AF.

I'm betting we'll see the 7D replacement and a few FF with DPAF around the 6D level.  Maybe a both a 6D and 7D Mk II model.  Maybe they'll call it the 6.50D to keep with rebel style naming.... :)
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »
My prediction on the 7D II is that it will be just like the 5DIII.  The camera will NOT live up to the overwhelming hype and demand, but after some time passes, people will actually use the camera and realize that it is an amazing upgrade.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 12:49:03 PM »

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »
If the pro dealers are involved, you can expect a prosumer DSLR at least.

Exactly why does Canon need to "fight back" on full frame cameras? The 1DX and the D4S are practically twins. The 5DIII and the 6D are both absolutely crushing their Nikon equivalents in sales.

If you are looking for a 5DIV announcement in August you better set your clock for 2016 at the earliest.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 01:38:03 PM »
My prediction on the 7D II is that it will be just like the 5DIII.  The camera will NOT live up to the overwhelming hype and demand, but after some time passes, people will actually use the camera and realize that it is an amazing upgrade.

Agree with the sentiment, but not quite the story. The 5DIII exceeded expectations when it was released in all but one area – people didn't like the price.

Go back and look at some of the whining that occurred on this site prior to the release. The two most common threads at the time were 1) Canon is going to "cripple" the autofocus and 2) I don't need more megapixels, I want better high ISO performance but Canon is going to put too many megapixels in the sensor.

Canon exceeded expectations. People who bought the camera were thrilled. The same whiners have had to move on to new complaints. No matter what Canon releases, there is a subset of people on this forum who will whine.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Maximilian

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 03:17:20 PM »
I see a lot of truth in these words. Well said, mackguyver.

Tugela

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 03:23:20 PM »

DSLRs are already mature technology when it comes to stills, so improvements in that area are going to be incremental but not ground breaking. That is just how it is. To be honest, my old T3i is just fine for most applications, so what more would a new camera offer, besides improved low light performance? For most applications going from an image being 97% perfect to 98% perfect is not a critical difference.

The biggest advances will come in treating cameras as integrated imaging systems that can perform all tasks well. That would include things like video and data/system integration with other devices. So I think that is where you will see most of the big advances in a new camera such as the 7D2 or 5D4. Particularly, this will probably involve the video capabilities, since current Canon DSLRs are fairly crude in this regard. Cameras such as the GH4 and a7S are where the future lies, not cameras like the traditional Canon/Nikon instruments. The biggest question really is whether Canon will embrace the future with their new cameras, or if they will be like Nikon and embrace the past.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:26:38 PM by Tugela »

dadgummit

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon FT-QL
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2014, 05:58:16 PM »
My hope is for a dual pixel sensor, with all of the live view and video capabilites as the 70D.

Add some of the same goodies that the 2-year-old 5d3 has like weather sealing, raw video, raw hdr, dual card slots, etc.  but make sure to keep the 100% optical VF and the flash that fits around it.

20mp is fine (though the competition seems to be favoring 24mp) with hopefully a little better hi ISO noise (I know it is not going to be full frame but technology marches on.

Give it the 5d3's af system which is just amazing in its accuracy and speed.  Please please leave the steaming pile of 70D af system far behind!!

Give it dual processors and 7+ FPS

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 02:07:35 AM »

+1000000000000000000000000000000000
 ;D

Cubed   ;)

Cubed. How quaint. I'll factorial that, please! :P

Joking aside, I'm interested to see what, if anything, Canon has done with their sensor tech. I am really, truly hoping that Canon isn't just stuffing a bunch of video-related "improvements" into the 7D II. I'm hoping it gets some significant stills photography enhancements, preferably a fully integrated sensor design: on-die CP-ADC, on-die Digital CDS, DPAF, and maybe stacked pixels (i.e. Foveon style). I think that would finally send a message that Canon still has the necessary oomph to take back the sensor IQ crown, with high DR and better color fidelity than the competition.

Maybe then these forums could finally ditch the persistent Nikon fanatics and actually have some more interesting conversations for once. Maybe about ART, rather than technology.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:10:41 AM by jrista »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 02:07:35 AM »

wockawocka

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 05:47:28 AM »
A 7Dii most likely and possibly the announcement of the higher megapixel cam (if one even exists).

A new 50mm to compliment the body, yeah I can see that.

But with the 1DX only 2 years old, (I got one of the first in the UK two years ago next week) and with the 5D3 being a similar age I cannot see revised versions of these until next year.

I was one of those 1ds3 users who waited over 4 years for the full frame pro body announcement.

Market wise I don't believe Canon is suffering, Nikon and Sony are, Canon? Nope.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

Maiaibing

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2014, 08:15:58 AM »

Exactly why does Canon need to "fight back" on full frame cameras? The 5DIII and the 6D are both absolutely crushing their Nikon equivalents in sales.

Do you buy your camera equipment according to their sales figures?

My purchases are directed by my needs as a photographer. I did not buy the 5DIII after extensive testing - because it just did not bring anything useful to me. So for my money Canon will have to "fight back" or my next DSLR will not be a Canon unless I have a 5DII break down. Simple as that.

YMMV.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2014, 08:15:58 AM »