July 28, 2014, 03:28:31 PM

Author Topic: The Future of the G Series  (Read 10561 times)

AdamJ

Re: The Future of the G Series
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »
Do people still by G Series, when they could have a not-much-bigger Olympus E-PL3 or similar? The G Series looks obsolete to me - none of the compactness of the S100, inferior image quality to the compact system cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 08:10:11 PM »

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »
The G series will be replaced by a mirrorless system.

Regardless of what Canon does, there will need to be a big departure for the G series.  Originally the G series served those users who wanted to move to digital, but could not yet afford a DSLR.  For instance, the G5 started out at a retail in the USA of just under $800.  Contrast that with the 1100D that listed at around $600.  Without taking inflation into account that shows one aspect of the movement of the market.

The niche occupied by the G series has been driven ever thinner.  Where size is not an issue, the 1100D makes more sense.  Where size is an issue, the S100 makes more sense.
I would like to see the G series morph into a mirrorless system - preferably with an APS-C sensor - hopefully Canon could develop economies of scale by using the same sensor as in its APS-C DSLRs.  I wonder though if the niche for such an animal is not too small to be economically viable.  - The Sony NEX-7 is, of course, a counter-example to my last statement.  If Sony can put such a product into the market, I would like to see Canon do something similar, just with an overall package encouraging manual control, and with a good selection of fast primes.

Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 01:40:13 AM »
The G series will be replaced by a mirrorless system.

Regardless of what Canon does, there will need to be a big departure for the G series.  Originally the G series served those users who wanted to move to digital, but could not yet afford a DSLR.  For instance, the G5 started out at a retail in the USA of just under $800.  Contrast that with the 1100D that listed at around $600.  Without taking inflation into account that shows one aspect of the movement of the market.

The niche occupied by the G series has been driven ever thinner.  Where size is not an issue, the 1100D makes more sense.  Where size is an issue, the S100 makes more sense.
I would like to see the G series morph into a mirrorless system - preferably with an APS-C sensor - hopefully Canon could develop economies of scale by using the same sensor as in its APS-C DSLRs.  I wonder though if the niche for such an animal is not too small to be economically viable.  - The Sony NEX-7 is, of course, a counter-example to my last statement.  If Sony can put such a product into the market, I would like to see Canon do something similar, just with an overall package encouraging manual control, and with a good selection of fast primes.

APS-C and Mirrorless. That is a good idea. Jut hopeCanon can do a fast AF. I should come with its own line of lenses to keep the size small. Also Canon should provide the Ef/EF-S and Leica M mount adapter.

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 01:46:19 AM »

APS-C and Mirrorless. That is a good idea. Jut hopeCanon can do a fast AF. I should come with its own line of lenses to keep the size small. Also Canon should provide the Ef/EF-S and Leica M mount adapter.

A lot of those who lurk around CR would like that.  However, we swim in a small pond, and probably are not representative of the boarder market.  The other problem with making a camera like this small is that with the flange very close to the focal plane, light will be hitting the sensor at a very oblique angle - especially for short and fast lenses.  Leica has already dealt with this, and I think patented the associated micro-lens design.  It would be a lot of R&D effort for Canon to do something similar to satisfy a relatively small market - hence the costs could be very high.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Flake

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 03:38:54 AM »
Perhaps the clearest indication yet that Canon intends to enter the 'EVIL' market?

The G series has a strong following because despite its high price it's still a compact camera with good image quality.  I have the NEX5 and two friends with G12s, they're both pretty similar up to about 400Iso where the NEX really does show the benefit of a larger sensor.

But the biggest problem with larger sensors is that of the bigger the sensor, the (physically) bigger the lens you need, so the lens on the NEX is as big as a DSLR lens even if the body isn't, the Nikon V1 can get away with something in between, but it's still pretty big, so I do wonder where Canon will pitch this.

I hope that Canon won't make a copy of the Nikon V1 / J1 which has been met with dismay by most photographers, but they do seem to have this habit of following when Nikon launch something new.

It would be a shame to see the quality compact line ended simply because of the cost comparator with an entry level DSLR, it has its own market niche without much competition, to find this niche with even less competition would be dissappointing.

Hyster

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 05:16:38 AM »
A evil Canonete with a crop sensor.  8)

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 07:30:28 AM »
The new G camera will be an interesting product.
Bigger sensor with a fast fixed zoom lens is more than welcome but I'm secretly hoping that G13 will be something like Sony Nex 5n or 7!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:32:40 AM by akiskev »
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 07:30:28 AM »

seacritter

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 08:19:44 AM »
I've owned the G7 and the G9.  In fact, for a while, I walked away from the DSLR and used my G9 exclusively.  The 2 things that I find an absolute must and the reason that I stick with the G series is the filter adapter and underwater housing.

I hate shooting pics outside without a polarizer.  And, I can't justify $1.5k for an underwater housing for my DSLR.  If Canon can improve ISO and picture quality even more, they may convince me to buy another G series camera.  It's nice that it shoots RAW as well, but I've been hacking the firmware on my Canon P&S's to shoot RAW also.

Putting a larger sensor in this typical mirrorless system would be nice, but will require a larger lens.

It will also be interesting to see if it will actually be called a G13.  Canon skipped from the G7 to the G9 because the number 8 in Japanese carries the same type of superstitions as our number 13.  Higher ISO would be fantastic for shooting underwater...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:32:33 AM by seacritter »

KeithR

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 09:57:27 AM »
Yes the 7D was a great camera when it was released, but Next to SONY's A77, it simply doesn't measure up at all...
I'm sorry? Show me one thing that the A77 bests the the 7D in.

I mean - have you seen the appalling image quality of the A77?

Not to mention the practically unusable (in anything but great light) EVF, the overall sluggish responsiveness and - let's not forget this - Canon's massive lens advantage.

The fact that the 7D - a camera more than two years older than the A77 - can still destroy it in any area where it actually matters, should have Sony hanging its head in shame.

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »

A lot of those who lurk around CR would like that.  However, we swim in a small pond, and probably are not representative of the boarder market.  The other problem with making a camera like this small is that with the flange very close to the focal plane, light will be hitting the sensor at a very oblique angle - especially for short and fast lenses.  Leica has already dealt with this, and I think patented the associated micro-lens design.  It would be a lot of R&D effort for Canon to do something similar to satisfy a relatively small market - hence the costs could be very high.
You are right about the lens fringe is close to the sensor, everybody is trying to make a thin body. However, the manufacturer also does not push the lens towards the lens mount. They move it outward . that is why we have not yet see very short lenses for the mirroless. By doing that they can make the light hitting the sensor in a less oblique angle. If the Sony NEX can do it, Canon should be able to do it.

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 01:21:53 AM »
I mean - have you seen the appalling image quality of the A77?

Indeed, if the DPR tests are correct I must say I'm supprized Sony released something that bad. Most of the talk has been about the terrible high ISO performance but to me it looks significantly noiser than the 7D even at ISO 200. Pixel peeping maybe but surely the whole point of 24 MP megapixels is for large printing and heavy cropping.

My guess is that Canon's going to look to follow the X10 with the G series rather than Nikon and Pentax, interchangeble lenses for sensors that small just seem like more trouble than there worth. You look at the X10 and a 28-110 F2-2.8 lens is still able to be very compact compaired to the much worse zoom on the Pentax Q with a smaller sensor, range and appature.

A larger sensor mirrorless with a system of Leica a like(in size if not quality and price) primes just seems like it would kill two birds with one stone. You balance the system much better with smaller lenses and by focusing on primes you also differentiate it from your DSLR business.

worthmining

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 02:53:19 AM »
If they put a 2.7 crop sensor in like in the Nikon V1/J1 with a fast high quality zoom lens and keep the price low enough, that could be a killer point and shoot.

Precisely.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 02:53:19 AM »