August 21, 2014, 02:44:48 PM

Author Topic: Photozone review of EF-S 10-18mm is online  (Read 597 times)

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Photozone review of EF-S 10-18mm is online
« on: June 08, 2014, 05:15:22 AM »

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/874-canon_1018_4556is

This has actually been online for two days, but doesn't seem to have its own thread yet (unless I've missed it,  in which case please accept my apologies), despite having been mentioned in at least one thread already. 

It looks like a great lens,  with vignetting and the plastic mount bayonet being the only real weaknesses. 

canon rumors FORUM

Photozone review of EF-S 10-18mm is online
« on: June 08, 2014, 05:15:22 AM »

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
Re: Photozone review of EF-S 10-18mm is online
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »
Thanks Traveller for starting this thread.  Well done to Klaus @ Photozone for a speedy review.. I love his analysis and descriptions... good to read & follow.

I saw the review a day and a half ago, and it confirmed what I thought - another very 'attractive' Canon STM IS lens.  When I write 'attractive' - I mean, fantastic value for money, and very decent good image quality (IQ) and few other weaknesses.

Canon have been doing well with all their STM lenses in terms of IQ, general functionality, etc.  So it's great to see this being a 'budget' yet good IQ, that complements the 18-55mm STM IS and the 55-250 STM IS.

I can imagine many people going for this lens who want a Canon EF-S UWA on the Canon DSLRs like xxxxD, xxxD, xxD and maybe even the 7D's. It's very competitive against other UWAs out there... and beats a handy few.

I used to have a good copy of the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, but upgraded to the Sigma 8-16mm, which has even better IQ than either of the Sigma 10-20mm's.  Plus it's an extra 2mm wider, which at that width is really noticeable!  Here is photozone's review of the Sigma 8-16mm - which interestingly is very similar in sharpness and general other IQ characteristics (eg vignetting and CA's) to the Canon 10-18mm.
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/515-sigma816f4556apsc?start=1

I hope many Canon APS-C camera owners will be happy owners and enjoy the fun of UWAs with the EF-S 10-18mm STM IS!  Looking forward to seeing beautiful images from it.  :)

Regards

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Photozone review of EF-S 10-18mm is online
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 08:10:23 AM »