August 01, 2014, 08:55:00 PM

Author Topic: More EOS 7D Replacement Buzz Going Around [CR2]  (Read 9207 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: More EOS 7D Replacement Buzz Going Around [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 10:26:35 PM »
I really believe Canon had originally intended to kit the 7D with the 15-85. Both released at the same time and the 15-85 is pretty much the EF-S equivalent of the 24-105.

But there was so much wailing and whining when the 7D price was announced (go back and see some of the comments from 40D owners at the time, who were incredibly bitter about the pricing), I think they realized they couldn't package the two together and have a competitively priced kit.

If they don't introduce a new kit lens, I can see the 15-85 being kitted with the 7DII. Could also use the 17-55 since they cut the price of that lens.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 10:26:35 PM »

quiquae

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 11:09:41 PM »
Just to throw this out there... If Dual pixel tech is ever going to hit full frame cameras like the 5d4 or 6d2 or 4d then FF will need a compatable STM lens too.

Good point. We already have the 40, but a slow zoom is the typical deployment of such technology. These EF-S zooms so far been optically very good, and very cheap. Does anyone see an EF 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS STM on the horizon? Nikon recently refreshed their budget full frame variable aperture zoom.

This is entirely ignorance on my part as the only STM I own is the pancake, so I'll ask:

1) Do any still shooters who are shooting moving subjects use STM glass at all? 

2) Has STM focusing speed improved to catch up with USM speed? 

3) Does STM work well in Servo for moving subjects?

Please educate me, as I think my first go at STM with the pancake was not impressive on those three fronts.   That lens is a marvel, but only for static shots in my book.

Maybe more recent STM glass is better?

- A

The STM mechanism in the 40mm pancake is a gear type, different from the lead screw type that is used in all the other STM zooms. Gear type is more compact, but slower than the lead screw type. I have both the 40mm and 18-135mm STM, and the 18-135mm STM is quite fast and accurate, nothing like the 40mm.

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 11:10:34 PM »
At this late point in the game, I am not going to get excited about any 7D replacement until I can actually buy one. Any replacement has been overdue for a couple of years now and several cameras are just as good as if not better than the current 7D, like the 70D or Nikon D7100.

Who knows? I wouldn't be surprised if they just dropped the XD line in favor of the 70D and just concentrated on more cinema cameras. I almost wonder if Canon realizes that some of us actually LIKE taking still photos and could care less if our DSLR can do 4K video?

Besides, I already own a 7D and paid (at the time) almost $1550 for it. I am not just going to take a loss on my 7D (by selling it for, what 600 bucks) just to spend an estimated 2 grand for an "upgrade". I cannot imagine ANY new camera being 2 grand better (in a crop sensor body anyway) than my current 7D.

My camera is fast, responsive and I am more than happy with the image quality, even at higher ISO speeds.

Guess we will just have to wait and see until August.

I talked to a friend of mine who has a lot of Canon contacts and I inquired about the lack of information regarding any kind of replacement body at this point. He only said that Canon was getting better at keeping information contained regarding new cameras. Pft... we had a LOT MORE information about the 5D3 before it's announcement. The true lack of any REAL information about a replacement body makes me skeptical.

May not happen guys... I hope it does, but may not...

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

tiger82

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 11:18:16 PM »
It looks like the anticipation has dropped the price of the 1D Mark IV by at least 10%
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 12:34:46 AM »
I think this is not a relevant post. Why would CR post this? It is not saying anything new.

But I guess Canon is keeping its secrets very well guarded.

Yeah, sort of like a regurgitated regurgitated rumour, like the "Great White Hope" in Pro Boxing, crew of the Mary Celeste, things are probably slow at CR, so let's start anoooooooother thread on the fabled 7DMK II.

Although I'm unlikely to buy it should it ever make it to Market, I'de realllllly like to see it done & dusted & all those that want one, get one, and start Posting in a "Images from the 7DMK II" thread, instead of endless threads re comments on "what about" "what if" "when ?" "why ???????"

And then be Happy !!

:) But not so slow to to post this. Lately there as been the 16-35 f4 buzz, Lots of Sigma analysis, D800 and high MP debates. Hahahaah

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 12:41:52 AM »
It looks like the anticipation has dropped the price of the 1D Mark IV by at least 10%

You know, that's not such a bad thing. I have really been looking at that camera as a replacement to my 7D.

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

that1guyy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 04:17:22 AM »
Here is my guess/wishlist

price: $2000 body only
10fps with about a 40-50 raw frame buffer
5d3 AF system
full weather sealing
wifi
dual pixel AF system from 70D
new sensor different from 70D (one stop better noise performance and one stop better DR)
possibly 4k video and 1080p/60p? One can hope.

I really do think this will get a newer sensor than the 70D (which was just a modified version of the old sensor) because the 7D is very important for Canon and the product cycle is very long so a new sensor ensures the camera will remain competitive 3-4 years from now. The 80D or whatever its called will get the 7D's sensor and then the Rebels and others will get them after.

Anyone agree?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 04:24:50 AM by that1guyy »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 04:17:22 AM »

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 05:19:08 AM »

5d3 AF system
full weather sealing
wifi
new sensor different from 70D (one stop better noise performance and one stop better DR)

Anyone agree?

Long:
  • Price - probably not too far off (probably >£1700 in the UK)
    fps - probably on the nail
    raw buffer - unlikely, probably closer to 30-35 as the 1D only has 38
    5DII AF - quite likely, cant's see why not as it is proven technolgy
    weather sealing - probably
    wifi - definitely, as cheap and commonly occurring now
    70D DPAF - probably a similar solution but not same system due to (hopefully) new sensor
    New sensor - absolutley needed, as 7D was revolutionary, so the 7D2 should be
    ISO and DR - probably
    4K - could be, as that wolud be revolutionary for the video people out there

Short:
Yes  :)
Canon 5D, 60D, 40D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM 
Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 06:45:32 AM »
I wasn't interested in a 7d  mk2 until I got the tamron 150-600 now I'm very interested specifically for use with that lens
But it has to have the 5d3 af I can see it now 70-200 on 5dmk3 and 150-600 on 7d2 with 11-22 on eos m at the ready for interesting wide stuff
APS-H Fanboy

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2014, 07:23:38 AM »

5d3 AF system
full weather sealing
wifi

Anyone agree?

Long:
  • Price - probably not too far off (probably >£1700 in the UK)
    fps - probably on the nail
    raw buffer - unlikely, probably closer to 30-35 as the 1D only has 38
    5DII AF - quite likely, cant's see why not as it is proven technolgy
    weather sealing - probably
    wifi - definitely, as cheap and commonly occurring now
    70D DPAF - probably a similar solution but not same system due to (hopefully) new sensor
    New sensor - absolutley needed, as 7D was revolutionary, so the 7D2 should be
    ISO and DR - probably
    4K - could be, as that wolud be revolutionary for the video people out there

Short:
Yes  :)
Any AF chip designed for a FF camera won't work with a 1.6x mirror assembly - there simply isn't enough coverage for such a chip. Unless they make a 1.6x sensor body use a 1.0x mirror, with all the additional cost, speed implications and lack of compatibility with EF-S lenses that brings. No reason why a scaled down version can't be made for APS-C though.

Secondly, a whole stop of S/N ratio improvement is highly unlikely, unless we're talking about out of the camera jpegs after being cooked by an even more heavy handed DIGIC dose of NR? As far as I know, modern sensors are closing in on the theoretically optimum QE, so we no longer have the headroom to make such massive gains (the 70D would have to be below 50% QE with the 7D II close to perfect to get a doubling on that metric).

And wifi as yet hasn't been introduced on any all magnesium bodied DSLR's yet. No reason why the antenna can't be located behind one of the plastic flaps (ports, battery, flash, screen etc), but this is new ground, so no reason to assume wifi is a given.

Other than that, yes, the wish list looks nice :)
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

2n10

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »
I really believe Canon had originally intended to kit the 7D with the 15-85. Both released at the same time and the 15-85 is pretty much the EF-S equivalent of the 24-105.

But there was so much wailing and whining when the 7D price was announced (go back and see some of the comments from 40D owners at the time, who were incredibly bitter about the pricing), I think they realized they couldn't package the two together and have a competitively priced kit.

If they don't introduce a new kit lens, I can see the 15-85 being kitted with the 7DII. Could also use the 17-55 since they cut the price of that lens.

Either option would make a great kit.  It will be interesting to see how this goes.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

nebugeater

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2014, 09:20:29 AM »
What is the best "guess" on cards.  CF  ..  SD  ..  or both?

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2014, 09:28:53 AM »

You know, that's not such a bad thing. I have really been looking at that camera as a replacement to my 7D.

D

Really, this is just a pure guess, so please don't read into it anymore than that.  But if I had to bet, I'd still say the 1D4 ends up better than the 7D2.  I just think the 7D2 will be an APS-C sensor with a max useable ISO of maybe 1600.  Guessing again, but I'm also assuming the AF system in the 1D4 will still be superior, there will be no spot metering for active AF point in the 7D2, no faux M mode (auto ISO in M mode with limits set), and there certainly will not be a flash sync speed of 1/300s.  Not to mention shutter durability and camera build.

The 1D4 really for me, is a cropped sensor 1Dx.  It performs less at higher ISO's, but I'm telling you, with shots I did not have to raise in post, at ISO 6400, were totally useable.  Where I see the 1Dx beating that is that you can shoot at ISO 6400 and still raise quite a bit in post and yes the metering and AF beat it off the field.  But a 7D2 will not likely touch any of that.

Again though, I could be wrong.  I actually hope I'm wrong just because of how great I think the 1D4 really is.   
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2014, 09:28:53 AM »

dgatwood

• 6D
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2014, 10:30:47 AM »

My guess would be twin SD.  CF is on its way out, CFast is pretty much stillborn, and I doubt we'll see XQD any time soon except maybe in cinema cameras.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 01:23:29 PM »

My guess would be twin SD.  CF is on its way out, CFast is pretty much stillborn, and I doubt we'll see XQD any time soon except maybe in cinema cameras.

I'd guess one of each. But that's because I think they'll transfer as many features of the 5DIII over to the 7DII as they can.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2014, 01:23:29 PM »