October 21, 2014, 04:49:44 AM

Author Topic: More EOS 7D Replacement Buzz Going Around [CR2]  (Read 10217 times)

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
Re: More EOS 7D Replacement Buzz Going Around [CR2]
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2014, 08:19:04 AM »
EF-S lenses are mass market low cost products. People who are serious about their hobby probably have mid to high end EF glass anyway even if they use a crop sensor camera, so moving to full frame is not really an impediment.

I'd expect most crop-body shooters to use EF lenses for primes and for longer focal lengths beyond their primary zoom lens, but I'd expect them to rely on at least a couple of EF-S lenses.  Specifically:

• The EF-S 10–22 (or, in the future, possibly the 10–18) is the only lens that's ultra-wide on a crop body.
  • I'd expect most folks to also use an EF-S lens for the primary zoom (e.g. an 17–55, 15–85, or maybe a 17–85 if they started shooting Canon crop bodies before those other two lenses appeared on the market), since the 24mm end of the EF zooms isn't particularly wide on a crop body.

When those folks move to full frame, that's more than a grand worth of lenses that they can't use, and will need to replace with EF lenses that cost about twice as much.

With that said, I suppose it depends on the shooter.  If you can deal with 24mm as the widest range for your primary zoom (like shooting with a shorty 40 as your widest lens on a full frame), then yeah, EF lenses are fine.  Or if you can deal with a 16–35 as your primary zoom lens (equivalent FF range 26–56), you could go that direction.  Unfortunately, both approaches are a pretty significant compromise because EF focal lengths aren't a very good fit for crop bodies.  If they were, Canon wouldn't build any higher-end EF-S lenses like the 17–55 and the 10–22.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2014, 08:19:04 AM »

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2014, 09:26:53 AM »
I'd expect most crop-body shooters to use EF lenses for primes and for longer focal lengths beyond their primary zoom lens, but I'd expect them to rely on at least a couple of EF-S lenses.  Specifically:

• The EF-S 10–22 (or, in the future, possibly the 10–18) is the only lens that's ultra-wide on a crop body.
  • I'd expect most folks to also use an EF-S lens for the primary zoom (e.g. an 17–55, 15–85, or maybe a 17–85 if they started shooting Canon crop bodies before those other two lenses appeared on the market), since the 24mm end of the EF zooms isn't particularly wide on a crop body.

When those folks move to full frame, that's more than a grand worth of lenses that they can't use, and will need to replace with EF lenses that cost about twice as much.

With that said, I suppose it depends on the shooter.  If you can deal with 24mm as the widest range for your primary zoom (like shooting with a shorty 40 as your widest lens on a full frame), then yeah, EF lenses are fine.  Or if you can deal with a 16–35 as your primary zoom lens (equivalent FF range 26–56), you could go that direction.  Unfortunately, both approaches are a pretty significant compromise because EF focal lengths aren't a very good fit for crop bodies.  If they were, Canon wouldn't build any higher-end EF-S lenses like the 17–55 and the 10–22.

That is where high resale value helps.  Lost only about $100 on selling the 17-55 (due to fees) and about $30 on the 10-22, but yes in general, FF, is more expensive.

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »
That is where high resale value helps.  Lost only about $100 on selling the 17-55 (due to fees) and about $30 on the 10-22, but yes in general, FF, is more expensive.

The current generation of EF-S lenses has, yes.  Of course, if they moved to a 7D from any earlier crop body, there's a good chance they have a 17–85, which is worth about as much as a lens coffee mug.  ;)

Tugela

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2014, 12:21:11 AM »
EF-S lenses are mass market low cost products. People who are serious about their hobby probably have mid to high end EF glass anyway even if they use a crop sensor camera, so moving to full frame is not really an impediment.

More likely the kit lens will be something like the STM version of the 18-85mm EF-S lens. It would be to facilitate video shooting, and since all the STM lenses so far are for the crop sensor, the camera is probably going to be video centric, much like the 70F, only with significantly enhanced capability. All of the video friendly lenses Canon have made so far are crop lenses, so it is reasonable to presume that they are going to leave full frame focussed on the stills market, with the crop sensors focussed on the stills/video hybrid market in the near term.

The only real question IMO is if it will have sufficient capability in that area to compete effectively with the Sony and Panasonic products.

sama

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2014, 10:07:14 PM »
Hey, just wonder how much better will the 7D II be compare to the Sony a77ii

features of Sony a77ii :
    24MP CMOS Sensor with gapless, offset microlenses
    12fps continuous shooting with autofocus (up to 60 JPEGs)
    79 point AF module with 15 cross-type AF points, covering 40% of frame
    Increased control over AF behavior
    1080p60 movies with autofocus
    Audio level monitoring during movie shooting
    2.4M dot OLED viewfinder
    Pull-out three-hinge tilt/swivel 1.23m dot White Magic LCD screen
    Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC
    1/8000th maximum shutter speed, shutter rated for 150,000 actuations
    ISO 100 - 25,600 (Extendable down to 50, and up to 51,200 with multi-image combination)
    Auto ISO customization
    Optional, profile-based correction of vignetting, chromatic aberrations and geometric distortion
    Top panel LCD
    Stereo microphone and external mic socket
    AF Micro Adjust

Steve

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2014, 10:26:34 PM »
well that's a pretty impressive list of specs but I don't see integrated grip or pop up flash anywhere. 

that1guyy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2014, 03:04:35 PM »
Not bad but that is 60 jpegs. What about RAW? I am assuming the 7D will have a much better buffer.
Also, the AF points cover less than half the frame, which is stupid and useless.

Other specs are impressive but will never buy that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2014, 03:04:35 PM »

Steve

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2014, 04:21:12 PM »
Also, the AF points cover less than half the frame, which is stupid and useless.

Other specs are impressive but will never buy that.

Uh, whats the AF coverage of the 7D?  Or the 1Dx or 5DIII for that matter?  Do you think its over half of the total sensor area?  I'm legitimately asking here - I can't actually find any info on the % coverage area for any other camera, at least not with a quick googling.  The most I can find is a mention that the 1Dx covers 53% of the horizontal distance of the sensor.  If you take the area of a canon crop at 22.2mm x 14.8mm = 328.56mm^2, 40% of that is 131.424mm^2.  Assuming the same ratio as the sensor (1.5), a little guess and check on the calculator comes up with a spread of about 14mm x 9.4mm or about 63% horizontal and vertical coverage.  That seems pretty rockin' to me

johnhenry

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2014, 11:09:29 AM »
More likely is they want people to buy into their more expensive FF cameras rather than keep using their abandonware cameras.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »
More likely is they want people to buy into their more expensive FF cameras rather than keep using their abandonware cameras.

Respectfully disagree:

1) The 7D2 will cost more than the 6D.  That's a near certainty given how feature-laden the 7D2 will be and how precipitously the 6D price is dropping.  Crop and FF will therefore have some overlap in pricing.

2) Some people desperately need the 1.6x reach a crop brings.  It obviates the need to buy epic superteles for $10k+.  You get 90% as good IQ for half the cost and half the weight -- that single value proposition says that crop won't be abandonware for a very long time.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2014, 12:04:44 PM »