October 24, 2014, 11:59:46 PM

Author Topic: EF mount on Tamron lenses that are designed for APS-C cameras?  (Read 850 times)

Mharwood16

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Hi all!
OK this is strange, My mom just bought a 6d. and coming from a 7d she really liked the Tamron 18-270mm mark I and was disapointed that she couldn't use it on the 6d as its an APS-C lens. So I was looking at it today and saw that the mount indicator was red. Which, in the canon world, means its a full frame lens. So i take the lens and pop it on the 6d. Im thinking that i must have missed something and that it really is a full frame lens. But than I look through the viewfinder, and the image is compleatly warped and vignetted. so I look on Tamron's web site and it is indeed a APS-c lens. I then tried the Tamron 60mm f/2 macro which is also an APS-c lens and it looked perfect. So my question is why is there an EF mount on a lens that is designed for an APS-c camera when there is a EF-s mount that would limit it to only APS-c cameras? Is this a Tamron thing? And why does the 60mm Macro look fine while the 18-270 looks terrible? is it that its a prime vs. a superzoom?
Has anyone else had this experience?

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: EF mount on Tamron lenses that are designed for APS-C cameras?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »
3rd party lenses (Tamron, Sigma, etc.) do not use the EF-S mount style, mainly because they are made for multiple OEM bodies (Canon, Nikon, Sigma, etc.), and only Canon uses a short back-focus mount (Nikon FF bodies have a DX crop mode). 

Usually, and APS-C lens will have severe vignetting on a FF sensor.  Some lens designs use a larger image circle than necessary for better optical quality, which may account for the better perfomance of the 60/2 macro on FF.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:17:09 AM »
I still can't get over anyone liking the tamron 18 -270 ..... :-\
APS-H Fanboy

Roo

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 08:35:12 AM »
As far as I know Tamron APS-C lenses are coded as Di II for identification  while their FF lenses are just Di.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:36:56 AM by Roo »
5Diii, 60D, Canon 24-105L, Canon 70-200 2.8L is II, Samyang 14 2.8, Tamron 17-50 2.8 vcd, Tamron 90 macro, Tamron 150-600

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »

When traveling, lots of folks would prefer a single lens that they can use for nearly everything, rather than hauling around a bag full of lenses and having to swap them constantly, even if that means some loss in IQ.  A range of 18–270mm on a crop body is staggeringly good for that, as it is equivalent to ~28–430mm on a full-frame.  If the IQ isn't horrible, I can certainly see the appeal.  Is the IQ horrible?  :)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 07:19:44 PM »
Is the IQ horrible?  :)
Yes .. Yes it is And the build is atrocious too. I hear the newer one is better though but the Mk 1 is appallingly bad
APS-H Fanboy

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 08:18:14 PM »

Kinda makes you wonder why buy a 6D, when just a good lens would be such a huge improvement.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 08:18:14 PM »