August 22, 2014, 06:33:28 PM

Author Topic: A Few EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]  (Read 22999 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: A Few EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »
WiFi & GPS will be internal. We all figured this one.

This means it will not be a completely mag-alloy body so that they can put an antenna in the body somewhere to receive RF signals.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 12:29:40 PM »

dadgummit

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon FT-QL
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »
seems strange to me to drop the mode dial for weather resistance.  The 1d series has a dial right behind each of the 2 shutter buttons and another on the back.  If they can seal those 3 dials how is the 4th so much harder.  My guess is the designer of the pro bodies was put in charge of the 7d2 development and went with what he is used to using which is not a bad thing since this may mean that it will be getting true pro ruggedability.   Please keep the joystick on the back though, I really prefer using those.

pierlux

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 12:32:49 PM »
I cannot see how the body size has any effect on the IQ but does the bigger battery allow the larger telephoto lenses to move faster?  Would a battery grip have the same effect?

Short answer: yes and yes (with 2 batteries).

Note that if you put 2 x LP-E6 batteries in the grip, the available power (wattage, i.e. voltage x current) is still lower than a single  LP-E4N battery, but the difference is not big enough to expect a significant difference in focusing speed.

Check this long thread, a lot of what we are talking here has been already extensively discussed there:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=13390.0

c.d.embrey

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 12:35:17 PM »
If this is in a 1D body with built in battery grip, I can see a lot of enthusiasts disappointed. When the 80D or 90D comes out, they'll say that is what the 7D2 should have been.

Oops! You beat me for a couple of minutes... As you said, I would have been disappointed in the past, but honestly I must say I'm changing my mind as time passes, despite what I had said in prevous discussions. Anyway, the assumptive departure of the mode dial only suggests a higher chance for an integrated battery grip, I can't think of a valid reason for a non-gripped body not to sport an EOS 1-type top plate.

Pop-up flash: I like, IR flash triggering should be there in this case, but radio? Having both options would be really great.

One of the main reasons that I use APS-C is that they are smaller and lighter than Full Frame cameras. Why would I want a gripped body that is larger and heavier than a 5D3 ??? Makes no sense to me, therefore a Deal Breaker..

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 12:41:14 PM »

This means it will not be a completely mag-alloy body so that they can put an antenna in the body somewhere to receive RF signals.

If you look at the body of a 1DX you will see that it is more full of holes than a swiss cheese. Lots of places for RF to penetrate inside, but it is even easier to put the antenna on the outside of the metal frame and cover it with rubber or plastic.
The best camera is the one in your hands

geonix

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »
2 of this 3 Specs are not really any thing to rumor about I think.
Of course it will have an internal flash, which none-fullframe doesn't. And it is still aimed at enthusiasts not only pros.
Wifi and GPS are also almost a cetain thing, as it will become standard equipment for most cameras on that level and probably even on more entryclass level cameras.

The 1D topplate is more of a rumor and I hope it will stay just a rumor. The modedial is a good thing.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »

If you look at the body of a 1DX you will see that it is more full of holes than a swiss cheese. Lots of places for RF to penetrate inside, but it is even easier to put the antenna on the outside of the metal frame and cover it with rubber or plastic.

Why don't you put a metal box with the same number of holes in it as the 1DX around the antenna of your WiFi box at home and see what that does for your WiFi use.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 01:30:02 PM »
Can somebody explain to me HOW lack of a mode dial is a good thing? I've never really understood the button system on the 1D line. To me it seems to be a lot slower to switch modes like this.

That's the point. You don't want the mode changing accidentally and more to the point, the mode doesn't change that often - less often than you change lens/camera.

sometimes it's critical to swap modes ultra quickly though, especially into various C modes and back to

pierlux

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 01:36:20 PM »
One of the main reasons that I use APS-C is that they are smaller and lighter than Full Frame cameras. Why would I want a gripped body that is larger and heavier than a 5D3 ??? Makes no sense to me, therefore a Deal Breaker..

I used to think the same.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=13390.msg241020#msg241020
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15327.msg278841#msg278841

Lately, I'm reconsidering my preferences due to the many valid reasons voiced by other CR members in the above linked (and other) threads; not that those of the ungripped body camp aren't valid reasons, either. At present I'm 50/50, both options display advantages and disadvantages. So it seems I won't be disappointed in any case.

At my own risk, let me add - and let the bashing begin! - that I'd be happy to see fewer and better MP than the 7D along with FPS equal or higher than the 1Dx. Overoptimism on my side? Maybe, but I don't think so. I'm awaiting for this baby weanling unicorn to finally deploy its wings, come on!!!

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2014, 01:36:29 PM »
If this is in a 1D body with built in battery grip, I can see a lot of enthusiasts disappointed. When the 80D or 90D comes out, they'll say that is what the 7D2 should have been.

I think there is zero chance of integral grip.  Consider:

• This is still a cost-sensitive market segment.  Yes, some pro birders/wildlife/sports guys will buy this rig, but there are a ton of enthusiasts in here as well.  Some folks (pros working on the longest end of focal lengths) would pay 1DX money for this body, but the vast majority of 7D2 prospective buyers would scoff at anything above $2,000 I think.
  • Top end APS-C is an upcharge market and not a kitchen-sink-included market.  I'd wager the 7D grip is the highest selling grip Canon sells:  sports / wildlife guys lean on the shutter at events.
  • Despite this, they have an established 7D user base that has not been screaming for an integral grip.
  • Integral grips would mean that many shooters would have to pitch their current camera bags for deeper ones.

All of this says that Canon will highly likely maintain the status quo w.r.t. only 1-Series bodies getting integral grips. 

- A

dgatwood

• 5D Mark III
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »

Or just mount them behind the plastic bezel around the main LCD panel.  Mount the third, topside GPS antenna behind the top LCD.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »

Or it's all-metal and the two antennae are trapped under the pop-up flash.  You have to pop the flash (a la a submarine communicating by raising the periscope) to use either.   ;D

That would be a riot.

- A

Velo Steve

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Photos on Flickr (mostly removed when the changed the site)
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »
Wow!  Wi-Fi and GPS.  Phones have included that for about ten years.  Of course phones have to be more compact and cheaper, so that makes it easier to add features - no I mean harder - wait, am I confused here?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 01:49:42 PM »

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »
If this is in a 1D body with built in battery grip, I can see a lot of enthusiasts disappointed.

If that happens, I'll probably buy a 70D instead.  The 1D body style is a deal-killer for me.

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 02:04:09 PM »
At my own risk, let me add - and let the bashing begin! - that I'd be happy to see fewer and better MP than the 7D along with FPS equal or higher than the 1Dx.

To me, more pixels means better image quality (yes, including noise performance) and a built-in optically-perfect teleconverter.  The only downsides are file size and the related things like raw buffer depth, both of which can be solved with technology.

So I'd like more pixels - the more the better if in-camera cropping and/or reduction options (good ones - not like SRAW/MRAW) are present.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:12:02 PM by Lee Jay »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2014, 02:04:09 PM »